Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone knowledgable about vans?? fix or sell as is...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Anyone knowledgable about vans?? fix or sell as is... Reply with quote

I have got an X reg Fiat Scudo 2ltr JTD, 2 owners from new (inc. me) was company owned before me so never wanted for anything.. it's blue, pretty good condition inside and out, I've only used it for taking my bikes about. It's very clean interior, runs really well and has never let me down. 130k, full factory bulkhead fitted and an alarm/remote central locking. It's by no means mint condition, but in my opinion its very good for a van of its year.

However it failed the MOT to my suprise and needs a catalytic convertor and front suspension arms, as well as rear suspension bushes. The main dealer I had the MOT done at quoted stupid prices for parts so I've not really done anything about fixing it.

However, as it's sat at my house doing nothing I gave the MOT failure sheet to another garage and now I have a quote of £318 for all the parts to fix and he reckons including labour it should be fixed for around £500 probably less.

Problem is I don't have £500 spare right now so struggling to afford to get it fixed, but I want it gone really... do you think I'd have much luck selling as it is for around £1500? I was hoping for £2000 with it all fixed. Judging by ebay prices it seems the going rate for a good runner.

Anyone here knowledgable about these things and able to advise?
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely an mot would be better for selling it,I'd be wondering why have a full service history and no mot.

Also i doubt the bushes will be dear or difficult to do,done mine in 20 minutes catalyst easy as just have to scource one cheap that just leaves the arms.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Surely an mot would be better for selling it,I'd be wondering why have a full service history and no mot.

Also i doubt the bushes will be dear or difficult to do,done mine in 20 minutes catalyst easy as just have to scource one cheap that just leaves the arms.


I'd be selling it clearly stating that it has no MOT and requires the following work etc... wouldn't try to rip anyone off saying it's fine and ready for MOT.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is if you were looking for a 2000 van would you buy the one 500quid cheaper and spend 500 on it to bring it up to spec ?

Stick the bill on your credit card and pay it off when you sell the van which will be much quicker to do with an mot as i'm sure you realise.

I was not suggesting you would bam someone up by the way :up:
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
The point is if you were looking for a 2000 van would you buy the one 500quid cheaper and spend 500 on it to bring it up to spec ?

Stick the bill on your credit card and pay it off when you sell the van which will be much quicker to do with an mot as i'm sure you realise.

I was not suggesting you would bam someone up by the way Thumbs Up



Annoyingly I know you're right Sad I just gotta sell a few more things to afford to get it fixed I guess! Just a bit pissed off with it, think I was hoping someone would say "yeah sell it as it is it'll be easy" when in reality i'd get fuck all compared to getting it fixed and selling.

Reality check, cheers mate Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone advertises a vehicle using the phrase 'will fly through an MOT' or in your case, 'has no MOT but only needs this, this & this doing to pass' then they are often treated with contempt. If someone has gone to the trouble of prepping a vehicle for an MOT or knows what it needs to get it through it begs the question WHY haven't they just got it done in the first place???

It is much easier to sell it with a full MOT than without. Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given current climate anyway will make it much more difficult than usual, not many will be looking to update their fleet or replace older models.

Naturally fixer uppers will be even less popular than usual. And scrap is worth fuck all at the moment. So that doesn't leave you with many choices.

Apathy is always a winner though if you have the drive space Wink
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tafflade
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:07 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you are ready to sell it send an advert to

https://agilitynet.co.uk/activepages/fleamarket.asp

there is a good market for clean scudo vans amongst the dog agility people, if you can find a set of cages cheap to go in there that'll get it sold in days Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can sort the labour yourself I can supply all the parts inc delivery for £270, if that's any help.
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If I was looking for a vehicle and saw one for sale with no MOT, I would want to pay far less than the price of a good one minus the MOT just for the risk.

For spares these people might be worth a try:-

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that you might want to bear in mind if you were to repair it:

Is it definitely just the front wishbones that are required? If it's just the bushes you should be OK, but a very common problem on Scudos is the hubs. The ball joints are actually built into the bottom of the hubs, so if ball joints are required you have to replace the hubs. New ones are only available new from main dealer (I'd imagine they'd very expensive), or if you're lucky you might find decent second hand ones.

I'd imagine it would be mentioned on an MOT failure sheet, but before shelling out on the other parts it might be a good idea to ensure that hubs aren't required.
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, you can sell anything on ebay as long as it's broken.

I would list it with a low starting price and a high reserve, and hope you get a bidding war going. Having a fair buy it now on there as well will make buyers think that's what it's worth, so getting it for less represents a bargain.

I'm basing this on the idea that you feel unwilling or unable to do the work yourself, so you're looking at a £500+ bill overall.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspension arms aren't that hard to fit on most vehicles, about half an hour's work each side (not including taking the wheels off, jacking it up, etc).

Do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Out of all those parts the cat will be the real killer, maybe you can find one second hand that's a bit cheaper?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it the vans going on my drive this weekend, I'm taking the wheels off find exactly what the fook is wrong with it (the MOT fail sheet is kind of vague! I guess they want to do the work themselves so not being too helpful) they say excessive play and quote for new wishbones... the rear just says bushes excess play so guess rear can just change bushes, not sure how it works.

I can work on bikes, I'm sure I can sort a van out? Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone able to confirm if Citroen Dispatch wishbones will fit a Scudo? They are the same vans with different engines as far as I'm aware? Found a place to get the wishbones for £45 a set new and a cat convertor for £85 + VAT but don't want to get the wrong wishbones! Also anyone know if a fitting kit of any kind would be required extra to the wishbones or if I'll have everything I need already?
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wishbones are the same.

However, there are 2 types of cat converter for a 2000MY Scudo JTD and another type from 2001 onwards that ran concurrently, again common to Dispatch/Expert.
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowninja wrote:
The wishbones are the same.

However, there are 2 types of cat converter for a 2000MY Scudo JTD and another type from 2001 onwards that ran concurrently, again common to Dispatch/Expert.


Thanks Thumbs Up

They list two

1 - FIAT SCUDO 1.9TD (XUD9TE eng) 9/96-12/03
2 - FIAT SCUDO 2.0JTD Turbo Diesel 6/01-

Mine is a 2ltr JTD 2000 model, but no. 2 seems to say 01 onwards? and the first one engine number is different to what my V5 says . I'm confused.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that they say the catalytic converter needs replacing. At MOT the only emissions diesel vehicles are tested for is smoke, and the cat won't have any impact on that.

Unless it's got a hole in it or something.
____________________
Chris
1985 Kawasaki Z550F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100_Chris wrote:
Unless it's got a hole in it or something.


It's got a hole in it Smile

To be honest the van didn't sound too bad when I took it in, but now it sounds bloody terrible so I guess they've been prodding a bit!

I really need to jack it up and double check what they've said, guess I just been a bit lazy as I bought a new car the following weekend anyways.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The catalogue I use says the following:

FIAT SCUDO 2.0JTD (c/n RP08576-08973) 6/00-8/03
FIAT SCUDO 2.0JTD (from c/n RP08974) 6/01-
FIAT SCUDO 2.0JTD (upto c/n RP08575) 9/99-5/00

The problem is that a Scudo is a rebadged PSA vehicle, so the chassis number will not correspond to the one given to it by Fiat.

If yours is a 2000 model we can forget about the second one.

The first one looks like this:

https://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff267/yellaninja/scudo1.jpg

The third looks like this:

https://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff267/yellaninja/scudo2.jpg

The difference is a very slight change in the angle of the pipe exiting the cat.

If you want to PM me your reg number I can check when your vehicle was registered which might give more of a clue.
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850


Last edited by Faldo on 18:10 - 15 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 15 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
RXS100_Chris wrote:
Unless it's got a hole in it or something.


It's got a hole in it Smile

To be honest the van didn't sound too bad when I took it in, but now it sounds bloody terrible so I guess they've been prodding a bit!

I really need to jack it up and double check what they've said, guess I just been a bit lazy as I bought a new car the following weekend anyways.


Weld it up then! You're actually right in that all they do is a smoke test on a diesel, forgot about that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 15 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the front wishbones, going to replace them this coming Sunday... I'll have a look at the cat convertor whilst I'm doing it and find exactly how bad the hole is etc.. then I'll post back here , cheers Smile
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.12 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 119.91 Kb