|
|
| Author |
Message |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:20 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: Cheap laptop |
 |
|
well its a netbook, but Asda are doing a cheap Acer one for £150
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=17827629
its quite good, I bought one and im on it now, theres ones which use windows xp but the £150 one uses linux (but you can just download xp) ____________________ Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Tot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Tot World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:47 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Colours: Pearly white and a rich shade of royal blue
I got mine in the royal blue, but both look good. I just think the blue stands out abit more with its orange metal joints that allow you to open the screen
Shape and Size: It has a really smooth and flowing shape, no ubrupt line or edges, making it look very appealing. The size will really amaze you when you take it out of the box. Its soo small!! But when you open it up it feels alot bigger than it is.
Spec: The basic specification consists of one of Intel's Atom N270 processors running at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, an 8GB solid-state drive, 802.11bg networking and Linpus Linux Lite as the OS of choice. It's not a specification to get the pulse racing - we'd have liked Draft-N and Bluetooth - but given the modest demands of Linpus' OS, it's still plenty enough for the core tasks expected of it - mail, word processing, internet browsing and media playback. And, talking of the OS, Linpus Linux Lite shows some promise. The front end isn't visually as neat as that of the Asus Eee, but it does much the same job. Programs are divided into four main headings: Connect, Work, Fun and Files. The usual suspects such as Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice are present and correct and Asus has opted to use its own proprietary email client, dubbed Aspire one mail. OpenOffice springs into life with appreciable haste and, in contrast to HP's Mini-Note 2133, video streams smoothly from Youtube or Blip.Tv in full-screen mode. There's the odd stutter now and again, and some videos seem a little jerkier than their windowed counterparts, but it never renders anything unwatchable. Disappointingly, though, DivX's and .VOB files refused to play with the supplied Mplayer software, which claimed to lack the suitable video codecs. We hope this is an omission which will be rectified in production models. (copied this bit)
If you want to use windows there are more expensive models that run the program or you could always download and do it yourself (Im thinking about it but I dont think its too bad as is)
Keyboard and Mouse: You can tell they have tried to use as much space as they could, although because of the size of the laptop, they have designed it well enough that it would just take some getting used to before you feel comfortable using both keyboard and mouse,
Screen: The screen is 8.9in corner to corner with a resolution of 1,024x600. Its nice and bright helping it to make everything easily readable.
Gadgets: VGA, Ethernet, USB and an SDHC slot adorn the Acer's left-hand side, while two audio sockets, another couple of USB ports and a 4-in-1 memory card reader lie to the right. The extra SDHC slot is a real boon, though; fill it with a high capacity SD card and you can supplement the basic model's storage quickly and easily. Should you opt for one of the mechanical hard drive options, you can use the SD card as a shock-proof storage medium for your most crucial data. (copied) What I was dissapointed with was the it didnt have a cd/dvd drive but you cant have everything and for what it is to be used for, I dont think it would be needed.
Battery: Slightly dissapointing that the battery life once fully charged is about 2 and a half hours. You can always buy a second battery pack which clicks into place on the underside of the laptop, but there are competitors with battery life of up to 8hours. But I think its all reflected in the price and since im using mine mainly at home its not really a bother using the charger. End of the day I think 2 and a half hours is plenty lol
General Usage: I think its really user friendly and would even be usable to someone who has no knowledge of computers and everything is laid out for you. Ooo it also has a built in webcam which is really good quality and I tried it with msn which it has already on it, and it works amazingly well. Another thing that I noticed was the heat.. there really isnt much! With all the laptops I've used, this is the most comfortable (I usually have it on my lap). I cant feel any heat through the keyboard (which is a really nice crisp quality btw). You can feel some on the base below the keyboard where the mouse is but its really not that much.
Heres some pics:
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00172.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00173.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00175.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00176.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00177.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00180.jpg
Well worth the money I think.. if I've left something out or you wana know anything else lemme know lol xD hope this helps
 ____________________ Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
Last edited by jack_zxr400 on 17:34 - 20 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Tot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Tot World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:26 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
You rip that review from cnet.com
Check that other link out - basically tells you how to mess about with the netbook and make it a whole lot more capable. What you probably weren't told is that the SSD drive is nothing other than a glorified compact flash card and NOT the 2.5" SSD SATA drives as used by the Eee901 et al, which is probably why I've heard many people saying that it runs very slow on XP, hence why I chose the 120gb version.
6600 mah battery makes it a WHOLE load more practical and defnitely worth the 50 quid.
I suggest you fit a 32GB SDHC card in one of the slots and install an nlited version of XP onto the PC. I've got office 07, Photoshop CS2, Adobe audition and my line 6 guitar stuff all running nicely on my acer... the extra GB of ram did the trick nicely. What stopped you from getting the 120gb drive? ____________________ The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:31 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dragonfly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dragonfly Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:09 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have an acer aspire something but its a bigger one. Its ok only over heats as crappy fans are on bottom and a few others where saying the same on the net about acers. But no other probs. My friend has one of them notebooks and hasnt had a prob. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dragonfly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dragonfly Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:39 - 21 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| jack_zxr400 wrote: | Colours: Pearly white and a rich shade of royal blue
I got mine in the royal blue, but both look good. I just think the blue stands out abit more with its orange metal joints that allow you to open the screen
Shape and Size: It has a really smooth and flowing shape, no ubrupt line or edges, making it look very appealing. The size will really amaze you when you take it out of the box. Its soo small!! But when you open it up it feels alot bigger than it is.
Spec: The basic specification consists of one of Intel's Atom N270 processors running at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, an 8GB solid-state drive, 802.11bg networking and Linpus Linux Lite as the OS of choice. It's not a specification to get the pulse racing - we'd have liked Draft-N and Bluetooth - but given the modest demands of Linpus' OS, it's still plenty enough for the core tasks expected of it - mail, word processing, internet browsing and media playback. And, talking of the OS, Linpus Linux Lite shows some promise. The front end isn't visually as neat as that of the Asus Eee, but it does much the same job. Programs are divided into four main headings: Connect, Work, Fun and Files. The usual suspects such as Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice are present and correct and Asus has opted to use its own proprietary email client, dubbed Aspire one mail. OpenOffice springs into life with appreciable haste and, in contrast to HP's Mini-Note 2133, video streams smoothly from Youtube or Blip.Tv in full-screen mode. There's the odd stutter now and again, and some videos seem a little jerkier than their windowed counterparts, but it never renders anything unwatchable. Disappointingly, though, DivX's and .VOB files refused to play with the supplied Mplayer software, which claimed to lack the suitable video codecs. We hope this is an omission which will be rectified in production models. (copied this bit)
If you want to use windows there are more expensive models that run the program or you could always download and do it yourself (Im thinking about it but I dont think its too bad as is)
Keyboard and Mouse: You can tell they have tried to use as much space as they could, although because of the size of the laptop, they have designed it well enough that it would just take some getting used to before you feel comfortable using both keyboard and mouse,
Screen: The screen is 8.9in corner to corner with a resolution of 1,024x600. Its nice and bright helping it to make everything easily readable.
Gadgets: VGA, Ethernet, USB and an SDHC slot adorn the Acer's left-hand side, while two audio sockets, another couple of USB ports and a 4-in-1 memory card reader lie to the right. The extra SDHC slot is a real boon, though; fill it with a high capacity SD card and you can supplement the basic model's storage quickly and easily. Should you opt for one of the mechanical hard drive options, you can use the SD card as a shock-proof storage medium for your most crucial data. (copied) What I was dissapointed with was the it didnt have a cd/dvd drive but you cant have everything and for what it is to be used for, I dont think it would be needed.
Battery: Slightly dissapointing that the battery life once fully charged is about 2 and a half hours. You can always buy a second battery pack which clicks into place on the underside of the laptop, but there are competitors with battery life of up to 8hours. But I think its all reflected in the price and since im using mine mainly at home its not really a bother using the charger. End of the day I think 2 and a half hours is plenty lol
General Usage: I think its really user friendly and would even be usable to someone who has no knowledge of computers and everything is laid out for you. Ooo it also has a built in webcam which is really good quality and I tried it with msn which it has already on it, and it works amazingly well. Another thing that I noticed was the heat.. there really isnt much! With all the laptops I've used, this is the most comfortable (I usually have it on my lap). I cant feel any heat through the keyboard (which is a really nice crisp quality btw). You can feel some on the base below the keyboard where the mouse is but its really not that much.
Heres some pics:
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00172.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00173.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00175.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00176.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00177.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00180.jpg
Well worth the money I think.. if I've left something out or you wana know anything else lemme know lol xD hope this helps
 |
wikid, you are a star  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:41 - 21 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| jack_zxr400 wrote: | Colours: Pearly white and a rich shade of royal blue
I got mine in the royal blue, but both look good. I just think the blue stands out abit more with its orange metal joints that allow you to open the screen
Shape and Size: It has a really smooth and flowing shape, no ubrupt line or edges, making it look very appealing. The size will really amaze you when you take it out of the box. Its soo small!! But when you open it up it feels alot bigger than it is.
Spec: The basic specification consists of one of Intel's Atom N270 processors running at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, an 8GB solid-state drive, 802.11bg networking and Linpus Linux Lite as the OS of choice. It's not a specification to get the pulse racing - we'd have liked Draft-N and Bluetooth - but given the modest demands of Linpus' OS, it's still plenty enough for the core tasks expected of it - mail, word processing, internet browsing and media playback. And, talking of the OS, Linpus Linux Lite shows some promise. The front end isn't visually as neat as that of the Asus Eee, but it does much the same job. Programs are divided into four main headings: Connect, Work, Fun and Files. The usual suspects such as Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice are present and correct and Asus has opted to use its own proprietary email client, dubbed Aspire one mail. OpenOffice springs into life with appreciable haste and, in contrast to HP's Mini-Note 2133, video streams smoothly from Youtube or Blip.Tv in full-screen mode. There's the odd stutter now and again, and some videos seem a little jerkier than their windowed counterparts, but it never renders anything unwatchable. Disappointingly, though, DivX's and .VOB files refused to play with the supplied Mplayer software, which claimed to lack the suitable video codecs. We hope this is an omission which will be rectified in production models. (copied this bit)
If you want to use windows there are more expensive models that run the program or you could always download and do it yourself (Im thinking about it but I dont think its too bad as is)
Keyboard and Mouse: You can tell they have tried to use as much space as they could, although because of the size of the laptop, they have designed it well enough that it would just take some getting used to before you feel comfortable using both keyboard and mouse,
Screen: The screen is 8.9in corner to corner with a resolution of 1,024x600. Its nice and bright helping it to make everything easily readable.
Gadgets: VGA, Ethernet, USB and an SDHC slot adorn the Acer's left-hand side, while two audio sockets, another couple of USB ports and a 4-in-1 memory card reader lie to the right. The extra SDHC slot is a real boon, though; fill it with a high capacity SD card and you can supplement the basic model's storage quickly and easily. Should you opt for one of the mechanical hard drive options, you can use the SD card as a shock-proof storage medium for your most crucial data. (copied) What I was dissapointed with was the it didnt have a cd/dvd drive but you cant have everything and for what it is to be used for, I dont think it would be needed.
Battery: Slightly dissapointing that the battery life once fully charged is about 2 and a half hours. You can always buy a second battery pack which clicks into place on the underside of the laptop, but there are competitors with battery life of up to 8hours. But I think its all reflected in the price and since im using mine mainly at home its not really a bother using the charger. End of the day I think 2 and a half hours is plenty lol
General Usage: I think its really user friendly and would even be usable to someone who has no knowledge of computers and everything is laid out for you. Ooo it also has a built in webcam which is really good quality and I tried it with msn which it has already on it, and it works amazingly well. Another thing that I noticed was the heat.. there really isnt much! With all the laptops I've used, this is the most comfortable (I usually have it on my lap). I cant feel any heat through the keyboard (which is a really nice crisp quality btw). You can feel some on the base below the keyboard where the mouse is but its really not that much.
Heres some pics:
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00172.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00173.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00175.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00176.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00177.jpg
https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/jackkanani/DSC00180.jpg
Well worth the money I think.. if I've left something out or you wana know anything else lemme know lol xD hope this helps
 |
wikid, you are a star  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|