Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


guitar strings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 21 Jan 2009    Post subject: guitar strings Reply with quote

After a few years out of it I've bought a new electric guitar off t' net. Only a cheap jobbie to get back into the swing of it, and after having it professionally set up, he recommended a good set of strings. What are a good brand without going over the top? cheers, Nick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigjim
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 21 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Ball's fella Very Happy

I use power Slinkys but there Fat Laughing Super Slinky's will prob do the job.

You could do with making sure you use the same size as what you have already (prob the Supers at a guess) But really it should have been setup with the new strings Confused

Only change one at a time so the neck doesn't move Smile

Jim
____________________
'97 - Thundercat - Sold
'08 - R6 - The Pocket Rocket - Sold
'09 - Street Triple R - The Monster
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

400bandit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 22 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for ernie balls. I use regular slinkys (10's - the ones in the green packs). If you're getting back into it I'd say go for the super slinkys (9's and in the pink packet) will be a little easier on your fingers.

All the best, joe.
____________________
Current Bikes 650 Honda Bros, VTR1000 Firestorm // Past Bikes: Sachs Madass 50/110cc - Bandit 400 - FZR750
(+ a XS650 in lots of pieces in my garage and other places...)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 22 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally settled on these
https://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_electric.html

With strings it can be horses for courses, but these are the shit as they say.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 22 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Ernie Ball's

I use 10's at the moment. Started using 9's which were nice pair of strings. I went onto 10's as I wanted a little less twang. In most guitar shops you can get three sets for a tenner. Bargain.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Ernie Balls here.
I use the heavy bottom strings, the 3 lower strings are thicker, gives a nice beefy sound. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 22 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys people. I'll have me a set of ernie's finest i think. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suitor_Stu
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 23 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Ernie Balls for a while, but I prefer GHS Boomers - just seem to feel and sound a bit more substantial, but it's pretty much what works for you. Try a few different makes, strings are cheap enough that it's not too much money (e.g. if you buy from the internet, somewhere like stringsdirect.co.uk, you can get most of the major brands for under £5 a pack (GHS and Ernie Balls are only £4).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you chaps cut the excess after youve fitted them?

Or does anyone does that fancy weaving stuff at the bridge?

I assume there is something fancy you can do at the pegs as well, instead of letting the excess wave above and buzz on the strings.



I ask the question because I had some strings recently, and they lasted about 2 hours before one snapped.

Anyone have this before, whats the quickest youve snapped a string?
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2Hondas
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:35 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotosound pinks on the Tele, 9-46 BriteWires on the Les Paul.

I hate having an untidy headstock, so always wiggle the excess wire until it snaps with no sharp bit sticking out like you get when using wire snippers.
____________________
Current - 2010 Kawasaki ER-6n - Green
Previous - 2000 Honda CB600F Hornet - Yellow
Previous - 2007 Yamaha YBR125 -Blue
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Do you chaps cut the excess after youve fitted them?

Or does anyone does that fancy weaving stuff at the bridge?

I assume there is something fancy you can do at the pegs as well, instead of letting the excess wave above and buzz on the strings.



I ask the question because I had some strings recently, and they lasted about 2 hours before one snapped.

Anyone have this before, whats the quickest youve snapped a string?

Yes cut the excess off, saves on scratches/noises and eye damage !
Invest in a peg-winder, and don't overwrap the posts.
Have the strings enter the posts towards the inside of the headstock, so they align better through the nut.
Tune to pitch then pull each string away from the sound hole/pickups, and give it a stretch, re-tune,stretch, re-tune and do some bends and heavy-ish strumming,trem bar etc That lot should of got you almost to a steady tuning state.
As for string snapping records then i did 2 in 2 songs that i performed, but the more experienced i get the less i snap.
Also i do my best to wipe the strings after playing, we all know about salt on metal..Hmm a name for a band

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking was that if you leave the excess then you have something to use when the string goes, as everytime ive had one snap, it goes near the bridge. I hate having excess flapping about but on my latest i've left it on because of the snapping issues.

It's not as if the strings are pricey, its just inconveniant.

What's a peg winder?

I've heard about not putting too many turns on the pegs, but sometimes even if you pull it through with as much tension as you can, before you start winding, you still end up with too many turns by the time it's tuned.

All the above is in ref to a baritone uke, so its on its way to being a guitar. Same principles apply though I assume.

The nylon with metal windings were the worst for snapping.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2Hondas
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
My thinking was that if you leave the excess then you have something to use when the string goes, as everytime ive had one snap, it goes near the bridge. I hate having excess flapping about but on my latest i've left it on because of the snapping issues.


This is valid for Nylon Acoustics, but not for Electric guitars where there will be no ball on the end of the string to be able to re-use it. Unless you knot the new end of the string through the old ball, but you'd need to do it really really tight to stop the tension of the string ripping it out.

Just snip/snap them.
____________________
Current - 2010 Kawasaki ER-6n - Green
Previous - 2000 Honda CB600F Hornet - Yellow
Previous - 2007 Yamaha YBR125 -Blue
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a devout D'addario (sp?) user till one day, for reasons that I cannot recollect, I went for a pack of super slinky Ernie balls (10's) and to be fair they are very nice strings so I shalt stick with these for the foreseeable.

When I first started playing the nearest guitar shop was about 6 miles away and it was a bus trip there and back. They used to sell singles and I once when loading on a fresh set, I overturned the one string and broke it, so after school I went all the way there and bought the single string that broke. Came back and wound it on, tuned up, started to do a little soloing to get it warmed up and "dwaaaaaaang" the bastard thing popped again. So I was straight back on the bus to get another one. Shop was closed. Bastards.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 24 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boring vid, but it shows you part of the process.
Handy tips in the text.

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-Guitar-Strings

A Peg winder about £2, saves the wrist

Pat

PS all you Slinky lovers, its worth a try of those Elixir strings i mentioned, i'm sure there will be converts..and no i don't work for them
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 89.77 Kb