|
|
| Author |
Message |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:08 - 12 Feb 2009 Post subject: Road legal pit/monkey bike advice |
 |
|
One of the guys where I work has expressed an interest in getting a bike on the road as he's fed up of cycling to work. He only lives about 2/3 miles away from work but we work on an artificial ski slope which is up a stupidly long and steep hill so he's after a bit of motorised assistance for the ride up the hill. Me being the only other person who rides a bike there he's asked me for some advice about bikes in general and I managed to persuade him to do a CBT on a geared bike instead of a scooter which was a good start and he's now going to start looking around for a bike to buy.
He said he really likes the look of pit and monkey bikes but I have no idea whats what with those bikes so I was hoping some of you could share some info about them like what makes are reliable and easy to get spares for and that won't fall apart after riding 200 yards down the street.
He'll only use it for the ride to work which is about 2/3 miles each way but like I said it's up a big steep hill so he's going to need it to be a 125 with enough poke to get him up the hill.
I explained to him about how he'll be a bit less visible to other road users on the road and suggested a CG125 type bike but he was pretty adamant about getting a pit/monkey bike so I said I'd look into them for him so here I am consulting the BCF knowledge banks!
He's looking to buy in a few weeks and will probably end up going through a dealer as he doesn't like the idea of private sales or ebay but he'd like a good idea of what to go for before he goes into a dealer and gets ripped off and comes out with some chinese piece of crap.
He doesn't have easy access to the internet so I'm trying to help him out best I can but I'm drawing blanks at the moment as all these pit bikes and monkey bikes look the same to me! ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:04 - 13 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I spoke to him some more today in work and he's coming around to the idea of perhaps getting a 125 trail bike but he's still pretty sure he wants a small sized bike for some reason that I can't really figure out.
He said today his budget was between £500 and £1000, so thinking reliability and small trailie type I was thinking Honda XR125? They seem to be gettable for £1k and will probably go on forever and will be easy to get parts for but I don't know if it's small enough for him. He's not a small guy, pretty average I'd say so I'm not really sure what to suggest to him.
EDIT: Just seen a local dealer has a used TW125 in stock, are they low? I seem to remember thinking that they were quite wide?
Also I may suggest a cruiser for him as they are pretty low. ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:12 - 13 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
There's something about the TW that pushes some buttons for me, not sure why, I think its the fat rear end. ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kwaks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kwaks I'm not a fast rider

Joined: 28 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:27 - 13 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just as something a bit more mainstream and thus easier to get, how about a van van?
Low, readily available parts, 125cc and bloody comfortable. ____________________ Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:47 - 13 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
TW? BW350 is the way forward :
https://yamaha.tw.free.fr/img/story/BW_big_wheel/110_big_wheel.jpg
Always quite fancied one, though the only place they are really better over enduo bikes is snow I believe, or possibly very wet sand. Rear wheel is so fat, the chain needs to be extended to the right to compensate!
Anyway, the TW125 is quite low, yes. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Faldo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Faldo World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:03 - 13 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was just about to suggest a Suzuki Van Van and noticed kwaker6r had the same idea.
Clicky to Biketrader There's an '04 model there within budget.
https://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=811352295 ____________________ Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:12 - 15 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
[quote="Whosthedaddy"]You can get genuine Kawasaki or Honda Monkey bikes. Not cheap mind.
https://www.monkeybike.co.uk/acatalog/24-KSR110_green_lrg.jpg
That Kawasaki looks awesome for a Pit bike! Id love one of them for messing about on and tuning etc. Im thinking it would be a bit of a ZX10R of pit bikes!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:20 - 15 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| binge |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 binge Emo Kiddy

Joined: 03 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|