Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Do you think anyone would go for this?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Do you think anyone would go for this? Reply with quote

Since getting my ZRX I've had my old XJ600 sitting behind my flat looking sorry for itself. It needs a bit of work to get it back on the road, the job list is something like this:

Thrust bearing in gearbox (easy fix, just not been motivated due to having the ZRX)
New back tire
Probably needs new calipers by now
Oil and filter change
Possibly new disks

I'm wanting to fix it and maybe use it as a hack bike for work to save racking the miles up on the ZRX then it occurred to me the other day how much I miss riding the lanes on a trailie so I was thinking if I fixed up the XJ and maybe tried to swap it for a trailie. Now I think I could probably fix the XJ for £250 (not including the money to tax it and mot it and all that guff so maybe £350 all in to get it back OTR) but XJ's don't command high used prices, I've seen mint low mileage ones fetch well below £1k and I don't want to swap mine for an 80's 250 trailie that's been around the clock 7 times! My XJ is in average condition for it's age but does have 30k miles on the clocks.

Ideally I'd be looking at something 350cc and above, perhaps a DR350/600 or an XR/XL400/600 or something along those lines, do you think I'm dreaming aiming for something like that? Would it even be worth trying to swap it for a trailie after spending £350 getting it back on the road? I've owned the XJ since 1500 miles so I know pretty much all of it's history and I'd be worried about swapping it for a dud trailie.

Anyone want to swap a trailie for an XJ Razz
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally,i think you'd be very lucky.

Quite a few people are wanting traily type bikes lately and less people are wanting hack bikes like the xj.

I think you'd be better off doing it up and selling it,then buy a cheap dr350 or similar.
You could allways put it on the swapz website though just incase.

Penny Coin Penny Coin Thumbs Up
____________________
DRZ-400sm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 19 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best option is fixing it, MOTing and taxing it, and chucking it on eBay. People always want anything as long as it's got full ticket.

Then buy an off roader.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 37.92 Kb