Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What do you wear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: What do you wear? Reply with quote

For off roading ? ,

I thought pah Mondo Enduro did it in leathers ie across Siberia , I'll do the same and bring some water proofs but bring some decent off road boots and a off road helmet and goggles.

In that leg 1 getting out of dodge ie Europe to Asia via Turkey and the balkans is going to suit leathers nicely.

Leg 2 the Stans Kazahstan is hot boiling hot desert which leathers is ok too sort of like Spain but hotter.

Leg 3 is the far eastern Russia and Mongolia , Up to Lake Baikali is hard gravel track for 1200km , Mongolia is the muddy stuff as seen in LWR.

Possible Leg 4 road of bones TWICE , which is gravelly muddy rocky pot holed for 1400km.

The next bit is a bit hmm , since a crazy part of me wants to ship the bike to South Africa and ride it back to the UK via Ethopia. But this needs a carnet.

My thoughts now are:

What would you wear for 150-180 days of solid off roading?. (except the days spent in Europe and Korea).

Must be light , rain proof , not cost a fortune and not be bulky, which the leathers + water proofs and a few spare layers as secondary clothing can be used to keep warm.

Bike jenny only makes 115 watts if I take the TT = no hot grips anything the engine doesn't need gets sucked up by the camera and headlamps. Which means clothing has to make up the gap. (DR650 has a stronger jenny).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revit gear is meant to be fairly solid and also waterproof.

https://www.revit.eu/cms2007/images/collectie09/FJT079_1150UF.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my brother has got that jacket, it is made up with like a 4 layer system, so it suits all the seasons...

You know Itchy you have made me want to do a trip like yours, so I went to waterstones to and bought 4 adventure traveling books! (I had book vouchers to use) Mr. Green
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me vein if you want, but looks come into it as well. With space a minimum your bike jacket and trousers are going to be worn off the bike as well. The only "bike gear" that wont leave you looking like a tit walking round town is the obligatory black leather jacket.

My four European tours, two Scottish tours and one European rally visit have all been done wearing a black leather jacket and combat trousers. Don't see any reason to change a winning formula. I go trailriding with this classic combination as well:
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/rbz/derbys-ride-11.jpg

Btw did you get my email dude?
____________________
Hard livin', hard luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Call me vein if you want, but looks come into it as well. With space a minimum your bike jacket and trousers are going to be worn off the bike as well. The only "bike gear" that wont leave you looking like a tit walking round town is the obligatory black leather jacket.

My four European tours, two Scottish tours and one European rally visit have all been done wearing a black leather jacket and combat trousers. Don't see any reason to change a winning formula. I go trailriding with this classic combination as well:
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/rbz/derbys-ride-11.jpg

Btw did you get my email dude?

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/iowgreenlane.jpg
I agree, you're gonna have to walk about when you get places, might as well be comfortable. You take a bloody sight more care when you're not covered in body armour and padding.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done trail riding in my blue 'zap' one piece leathers, race boots, helmet and gloves along with plenty of other stuff lower down on the scale; in contrast there's that picture of Korn doing a decent sized jump just in flip flops and shorts!

Not being the type that likes to 'take a bloody sight more care' (where's the fun in that Razz), I think I'd look at some kevlar jeans for a start, with decent boots and knee armour underneath.
Should have a reasonable amount of protection in most conditions.

For the top half I'd be going for enduro armour for the off-roading, either with a light weight motocross jersy over the top in the hot, or a thicker leather/textile jacket over the top in colder climes and for faster road work.

Then go for separate thin waterproofs to be got out as required.

I've been going on about them a bit elsewhere, but I really like my Roadcrafter one piece easy-on thingy (even if it is slightly to small for me thanks to the luck of ebay). Easy to take off so you can walk around 'normally' - though does mean you don't have a jacket to walk around in if it is raining/cold. Quite chunky to store however, though you could possibly remove armour and use off-road stuff instead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/iowgreenlane.jpg
I agree, you're gonna have to walk about when you get places, might as well be comfortable. You take a bloody sight more care when you're not covered in body armour and padding.


Nah you take care on thr Africa Twin because you don't want a coronary or a hernia if you have to pick it up when you drop it , the RD04 was incredibly heavy to lift when I sold it.

Is it me or do you make the Africa look small? , I'm barely taller than the screen of the RD04!.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:


Nah you take care on thr Africa Twin because you don't want a coronary or a hernia if you have to pick it up when you drop it , the RD04 was incredibly heavy to lift when I sold it.

Is it me or do you make the Africa look small? , I'm barely taller than the screen of the RD04!.
The bikes in a dip and I'm on a higher bit. I'm under 6 foot. That used to be tall when I was younger but nowadays every spotty kid working in Tescos looks down from vast heights at me. Must be something in the water these days.

I haven't dropped either of my RD07s but I did drop my RD04 twice. They are more top heavy then later models so when they start to go they are quite hard to stop. Embarrassment allowed me to pick them straight up both times.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds55 wrote:
I think my brother has got that jacket, it is made up with like a 4 layer system, so it suits all the seasons...

You know Itchy you have made me want to do a trip like yours


Its turning into a bit of a paperwork nightmare TBH totting it up its getting seriously expensive just on the Visa front.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 19 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I guess I have a few more years to save up, I will be doing this after I leave university and have sorted some money out, so could be in like 5 years time or so. Plenty of time to do planning and saving and buying the gear along the way.

Although I'd be tempted to take an un-organised approach and see how far I can get.... (then again I don't have the first clue about organising a trip like this... I have bought some books, shall hopefully rectify this)
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I get very warm even mild trail riding, so lots of thin layers that I can remove as required are my preference.
For that reason I would always go for textiles over a leather jacket.

Road riding is a different matter, so its leathers every time with some thin waterproofs for when its pi55ing down.

I guess you will have a real mixture of roads and terrain so textile layers are more flexible?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 76.25 Kb