Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sports Science degrees.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Sports Science degrees. Reply with quote

Does/has anybody here studied on a sports science degree. If so what were the job prospects like once you had completed your degree?

Just after a general idea on what a degree doing this could offer me after spending three years and shit loads of money, bar a few letters after my name?

THanks for any help.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What job are you hoping to get with a Sports Science degree? If it is to help with injuries, then a qualified physiotherapist would be preferred.

When I think of Sports Science degrees, I tend to think P.E Teacher. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 18 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done one myself, but from people I know who have the prospects are P.E teacher or a call centre.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said. Totally dick all prospects. The fact they have the nerve to call it Sport Science grates on me anyway, as without doubt all the people who do it are jocks with no idea of how anything works, but like to be able to name muscle groups with a cocky sneer Rolling Eyes

Whats also funny is that 9/10 of them are fat too Laughing

As said though, you get PE teacher or maybe if you're lucky Outdoor Centres (who'd give you the job if you had experience anyway). The mates I've got who have done it are in the same boat as everyone else now (gotta love the recession), but have no real end plan either.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working part time for Camp America for the last 8 years which has meant I've come across a fair number of individuals who have done a sports science degree or are doing one at the moment. Most are hoping to become coaches, or are gym instructors or have other positions in the leisure industry.

From what I gather, the degree will not get you a job but is good background if you want to go into a sports/coaching/fitness related job but aren't sure where to specialise yet, or don't know exactly what you want to do. Most that I've met (at least 20 a year on average, last year it must have been more like 50) end up doing additional qualifications to actually get where they want to go.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did 3 months of a btec in sports science at college before i realised it would be worth fuck all at the end of it. sod doing it to degree level.
____________________
Current : '08 Yamaha FZ1s
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, the only sort of degrees where you are more likely to get a job are ones where you can get a professional status, e.g. Engineering and Medicine etc.

And neither are easy to do at degree.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheetrs ladies and germs, much as I suspected. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:54 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

apart from a P.E teacher couldnt you be a personal trainer?
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_zxr400 wrote:
apart from a P.E teacher couldnt you be a personal trainer?


I can assure you that you don't need any form of qualification whatsoever in order to do that job. Plus it still wouldn't justify spending 3 years at uni and taking on the associated debt. IIRC the most one would have to do to achieve that role is a short course in it, which apparently once acquired means you know everything there is to know about metabolism and physiology, nevermind what the science says or years of experience from any one else, cuz they got dat certificate on der wall ennit.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:

which apparently once acquired means you know everything there is to know about metabolism and physiology, nevermind what the science says or years of experience from any one else, cuz they got dat certificate on der wall ennit.

GhostRider


Oooooh yes, bane of my life down my old gym.

Ah well fuck em, they're all still working for KFC and everyone titters when they tell get told what they did a 'degree' in (I honestly have no idea what they do for 3 years, but its certaily not learning or keeping trim)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
I honestly have no idea what they do for 3 years, but its certaily not learning or keeping trim


They need to learn all kinds of important things, such as:
Arrow Injecting steroids without leaving obvious marks.
Arrow Identifying every single protein shake by flavour.
Arrow Learning all of the marketing bollocks to sell said protein shake, when they work on a gym reception for 20 years.
Arrow Working out excuses to always wear sportswear.
Arrow Reading copies of Men's Health, and trying to hide the massive erection while they deny homosexuality.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
Reading copies of Men's Health, and trying to hide the massive erection while they deny homosexuality.


Funnily enough my dads company publishes that. Apparently EVERY model in it is gay as a maypole.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 4.11 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.28 Kb