Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Fitting a new shock - Should I thread lock?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Fitting a new shock - Should I thread lock? Reply with quote

Laughing

Just bought a Hagon for my Z as its suspension is sh*te.

They recommend using a thread lock when fitting.

Now i've never ever used anything like this and am a bit worried if I need to take the thing off in future.

Should I use it? On the Dog bones also Question

Any help appreciated Idea Idea
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lonner
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: Fitting a new shock - Should I thread lock? Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Laughing

Just bought a Hagon for my Z as its suspension is sh*te.

They recommend using a thread lock when fitting.

Now i've never ever used anything like this and am a bit worried if I need to take the thing off in future.

Should I use it? On the Dog bones also Question

Any help appreciated Idea Idea




hi m8
they usually have locking nuts fitted so not really necessary.

if your worried about thread lock it will come undone again it just holds the nut and prevents vibration loosening it Thumbs Up

your gonna love the shock ive bought loads of hagons just don't over-tighten the top and bottom nut & bolts and use a torque wrench if you have one although as said they are nylock type anyway so not critical Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ben350
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has nyloc type nuts and you are worried about them holding simply buy some new nuts from Kawasaki Wink
____________________
Ducati 996 Biposto
Suzuki Goose 350
DT125R Supermoto (Project)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to use the existing bolts.

I wanted an Ohlins really but they are twice the price.

I never really new what people went on about the Z having a bad shock. That is until I bought an ER6 and I was like wow , this is sooo smooth.

I've also bought a shortened shock as I'm 5'8" and I can't quite flat foot both sides.

I did work around this before by using dog bones, but I heard really bad things about them, so my original dog bones are going back in. I went for a 30mm reduction. They said this was normal.

Just hope I don't have to shorten the stand.

Only thing left to do now, is to look for some new fork springs.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortening the shock will still make it handle funny, you'll need to drop the forks by the same amount of maintain geometry. Personally I would have looked at getting the seat re-sculpted first, but there you are.

O, and don't worry about the thread lock, just torque them up and check them after the first ride if you're worried. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Shortening the shock will still make it handle funny.


To be honest I didn't notice any problems when I used the dog bones. But the drop then was 20mm, its now going to be 30mm.

I just thought, seeing as it was all going to be custom built, i'd do it right.

I did ask Hagon, about just using the 20mm lowering dog bones, but they said they'd do it right with a custom shock. (£40 more and setup for my height and weight).
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: Fitting a new shock - Should I thread lock? Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Now i've never ever used anything like this and am a bit worried if I need to take the thing off in future.


You'll still be able to take it off. When you go to undo the bolt it will be quite tight until the loctite breaks and makes a big crack noise.
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Big_Ham wrote:
Shortening the shock will still make it handle funny.


To be honest I didn't notice any problems when I used the dog bones. But the drop then was 20mm, its now going to be 30mm.

I just thought, seeing as it was all going to be custom built, i'd do it right.

I did ask Hagon, about just using the 20mm lowering dog bones, but they said they'd do it right with a custom shock. (£40 more and setup for my height and weight).


Hmm, give it a try with the forks pulled through the yokes and see how it feels.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to get her back on the road. I am really hoping for a big improvement from the shock.

Going to have to get her un SORNed as she's been in the garage since October. No point doing so until Monday as it will then be in March not February.

So this month, I have bought a £300 shock, I need a £120 tyre and 2 lots of bike tax (each bike). Ohh and i'm thinking of sorting the front of the bike as well with new fork springs.

Bugger, didn't have to spend a penny on bikes for last few months.

Joy.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.27 Sec - Server Load: 1.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.66 Kb