Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hello

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Was invited to check out this Forum by buying a manual on Ebay.

So a quick hello.

I have just bought my first bike for 15 years and it arrived yesterday.

Spent my spare time over this weekend getting used to it. It was a bit strange and frightening initially but I feel it is coming back to me.

I say frightening because I spent the week before it was delivered wondering if I had the balls to actually ride it.

My bike is a completely standard 1998 White / Red Yamaha R1 in beautiful condition with only 2700 miles on the clock.

William
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you are a brave man a r1 for getting back on a bike! Good luck keep the sticky side down shiney side up! Thumbs Up

Laura
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum buddy!

Lovely choice in bike you have.
Take care and ride safe! Smile
____________________
Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa that's a big bike to jump onto, especially if you've been off bikes for so long. What an I say apart from "ride carefully, and welome to the forum" Shocked Very Happy .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Thumbs Up

An R1 is probably one of the least friendly bikes around so be very careful on it mate. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Well I have always wanted one - But at the moment I can't do more than 12 miles before my thumbs start aching like hell.

Its not the speed cos I haven't done more than 4000rpm in any gear yet.

Hopefully this will disappear as I get used to riding the bike.

I was more concerned with giving it too much when pulling a way and ending up with only one wheel on the ground but the R1 doesn't have a powerband that you suddenly find the power is smooth and ever present.

I just don't open the throttle too much!

I used to ride 2 stroke triples and once the revs hit the magic number all hell broke loose.

William
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear your being smart about it. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G1_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike!
And welcome to thee forum. You'll never leave Smile

Just a thought though, some advanced lessons or refresher courses always go down well.

Be careful whiles you get use to it again!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - You are the second person to suggest it and I am seriously thinking about it.

Depending on your opinions I was one of the lucky oldies who passed my test on a 250cc bike total cost of test £3.50.

William
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R1stu
Shrek!



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I take it it was Korn who sold you the mannual on ebay then?
____________________
Carbon closet tart! https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/02r6/
Stolen bike. 2000 R1: https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/00r1/
Current bike 1991 Honda ST1100 Pan European, 1986 Honda cb350sg (Finished)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G1_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, my test cost £350 Laughing (including training and what not)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please please please be careful.

Did you not feel like trying a smaller bike first? Confused

Take it easy and welcome to the forum. Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Welcome to the forum and enjoy it (both the riding and the forum)!
____________________
Dance! Dance! Dance! Passed my DAS - Third time lucky!!!!
Naked Bandit 600 ... Beautiful!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjay,

Why buy a smaller bike first, you then have to buy a bigger one.

Hence the R1.

William
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
Marjay,

Why buy a smaller bike first, you then have to buy a bigger one.

Hence the R1.

William


So you don't kill yourself. It will take you a long time to find the r1s limits and you will never be able to push yourself or the bike as you will always be worried of turning the throttle where you could have brought a smaller bike and made yourself a better rider and learnt how to ride the r1.
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - I don't think you're getting it!

Most people buy a smaller bike first to avoid getting killed. A bike like an R1 has a rediculous amount of power, BAB's (born again bikers) tend to hop on these and ride them as they would drive a car, forgetting the power differences. They are what make up a lot of statistics, hence why most bikers progress up through bike sizes, to get used to riding bikes and to take it one stage at a time, rather than leaping in the deep end.

It sounds rather morbid but at the moment you've taken exactly the same route as people who become motorcycle statistics. If you are careful and sensible you'll be fine though!
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum,

Like the others have said, take it easy until your used to it, although I'm sure you will.
hope to see you at a meet one day.

Good luck
That's some machine you've got.

Swaffs
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Smile
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura & Carvell,

This Forum is striking me as the same as others.

Maybe I should clarify - I am already feeling unwelcome because I had the audacity to buy what I did.

A bigger bike doesn't mean certain death. I would (in my opinion) just as likely to be killed on a smaller bike. I am not a speed freak and probably treat bikes and other road users with much more respect than I did when I was in my biking heyday.

Are you saying I should have bought an R6 first. Whats the difference apart from a few MPH.

Its your right hand that gets you into trouble. As long as you remember that and apart from mishaps caused by others whats the difference.

I would feel less safe on a 125cc.

William


Last edited by william on 22:36 - 16 May 2004; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin



Joined: 01 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Great choice of bike Wink
____________________
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me I was pointing out marjays theory I have not sid definate death if you read my origanal post I just pointed out to be carefull.
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
A bigger bike doesn't mean certain death. I would (in my opinion) just as likely to be killed on a smaller bike.

No obviously not, I'm sure you'll be fine!

william wrote:
Are you saying I should have bought an R6 first. Whats the difference apart from a few MPH.

A 400, probably. It's not the top speed that gets you, it's how fast it reaches that speed and just the all round power, ability to lift the front wheel and chuck you off etc.

william wrote:
Its your right hand that gets you into trouble. As long as you remember that and apart from mishaps caused by others whats the difference.

Hmm indeed. Just be careful out there and remember that you're sitting on almost the equivilant of a McLaren F1, only you don't have a cage around you!

I'm sure you will be fine as you are obviously sensible and not another crazy 50 year old who buys an R1 because they can afford one, then crashes it because of the power.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know what to expect but I never expected to moralise and criticise anyone, consequently all I ask is the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvell.

I have had my fill of 400cc. Old pre-restricted Kawasake triples 500 and 750cc's had no manners and were evil.

I survived them so I'll take my chances with a reasonably well mannered almost predictable (compared to an H1 750cc Kawasaki triple) R1.

Showing my age! but I came from a generation that had 50cc at 16 but the day you reached 17 you could legally jump on a 250cc bike- which I did.

In fact I am 47 and you will probably overtake me on whatever bike you have. I abide by speed limits (mainly) and will not be trying to find out the top speed of my bike.

William


Last edited by william on 22:53 - 16 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Smile

Sorry to sound a bit preachy at first, but I've heard no end of stories direct from friends and family of BAB's hopping on R1's and seriously injuring/killing themselves, I don't want the same to happen to anyone else.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll throughly enjoy it, right time of year too.

Rubber side down. Wink
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.62 Kb