Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What can you buy with ?3?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: What can you buy with £3? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I got this message on ebay about one of my listings and have since wondered what can you buy with £3? Seems like I've missing out! Please let me know will ya?


"Dear jackdim,

Hi, I am interested in the air box but not the £8 postage charge, if you consider reducing this then I might be interested, the Arrow exhaust I bought recently was only £8 postage and that was an exhaust system

Col."


"Dear ******,

I listed all items in succession so made a mistake in the postage in the listing. Unable to alter it now as it's too late. However with no bids at the moment you may win this item for £5, add the £8 and you've got an airbox for £13 which is a bargain in my opinion.

Thanks."


"Dear jackdim,

Hi Jack, thanks anyway but airboxes are not hard to come buy, thanks anyway, a tenner I would have considered but £13 is a bit steep for an airbox.
Col.

******"


"Dear *******,

lol, £3 difference? you're pulling my leg right? bye then.

- jackdim"

Thanks all,
Jack
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate people that rip me off on postage on Ebay.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
I hate people that rip me off on postage on Ebay.


Don't bid then, simple really.

However this postal charge was a genuine mistake on my part that couldn't be altered.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdim wrote:
1930 Ariel wrote:
I hate people that rip me off on postage on Ebay.


Don't bid then, simple really.

However this postal charge was a genuine mistake on my part that couldn't be altered.


unless you just said fine, send me a tenner instead and i'll accept that, of course Smile
____________________
killa wrote: Im an ass man myself
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:59 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiply 3 wasted quid by 20 purchases and ask yourself again.

Buyer and seller are equal chimps in this case. He shouldn't be wasting his time trying to bargain about the postage.

Quote:
I'm taking the piss with the postage, but its ok because the item itself is cheap.


I would have told you where to stick it as well to be honest. People taking the piss with postage costs is one of the most annoying things about ebay. Especially if the item is slim pickings. I've often made the choice to be shafted on postage just because I want a particular thing. This basic human mentality shows how easy it is to exploit the postage loophole.

Quote:
However this postal charge was a genuine mistake on my part that couldn't be altered.


It can be altered. Cancel the listing and redo. Instead you would rather try and blag him making out "its a bargain".

I drove from oxford to southgate in north london today to pick up some car parts that would otherwise have been overcharged on postage. At 15p per mile, it worked out even if you don't count my 'time' but its the principle of the thing.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lukamon"]
jackdim wrote:

unless you just said fine, send me a tenner instead and i'll accept that, of course Smile


meh, who cares just let it run and whatever happens happens.

If he asked "would you accept £10?" then I'd probably let him have it. But I was just lulzing too hard at the fact he thought that £13 was too expensive and forgot all about it.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AJI
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdim wrote:
However this postal charge was a genuine mistake on my part that couldn't be altered.


Yes it can, you can request that the buyer doesn't pay for the item immediately after winning the auction, and send them an ebay invoice instead where you can pretty much set any price you want, using the "discount" option. I've used it before to discount postage for a buyer who's bought more than one of my items.
____________________
TARMAC - Automotive blog *UPDATED 26/3/09 - Abandoned fuel stations to go electric? ~ Buy my eBay stuff!
You're gonna go far, kid
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:


Quote:
I'm taking the piss with the postage, but its ok because the item itself is cheap.


I would have told you where to stick it as well to be honest. People taking the piss with postage costs is one of the most annoying things about ebay. Especially if the item is slim pickings.



Don't buy it then.

WildGoose wrote:


Quote:
However this postal charge was a genuine mistake on my part that couldn't be altered.


It can be altered. Cancel the listing and redo. Instead you would rather try and blag him making out "its a bargain".


Cba with that, it's £13 ffs! Do you really think I can be bothered to relist it? I thought it was cheap at that so I stated it, how is that a blag? I didn't lie did I??
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the way you are trying to make out this chap is some kind of mug for not wanting to spunk an extra three quid into your pocket, that I find distasteful.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJI wrote:
send them an ebay invoice instead where you can pretty much set any price you want, using the "discount" option. I've used it before to discount postage for a buyer who's bought more than one of my items.


I also have used this on multiple items, HOWEVER I personally wouldn't trust a seller if I bidded with prior agreement with the seller to discount postage on a singular item. Thus, I didn't bother to offer this buyer a discount.

Just lol @ these agruments anyway, it's £3 haha.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Its the way you are trying to make out this chap is some kind of mug for not wanting to spunk an extra three quid into your pocket, that I find distasteful.


I think £13 is a bargain for the airbox, I just thought it was mad that £3 made the difference between him buying it or not.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

OssY
Nearly there...



Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RED-70-DENIER-OPAQUE-TIGHTS-ONLY-3_W0QQitemZ330313129244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Women_s_Underwear_Design_2?hash=item330313129244&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1691|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

OssY wrote:


Nice, but they're £4 with postage. I'm not paying a penny more than £3, its against my principles! I'll go and take a trip up on a ns400r with leaky carbs from Bristol to Manchester to pick them up.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:32 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3PK-0-6-MONTH-BABY-SOOTHER-DUMMY-ORTHODONTIC-LATEX-TEAT_W0QQitemZ400030907174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Dummies_Pacifiers_Teething_Aids?hash=item400030907174&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

For anyone that may have spat them out Wink Laughing
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're being unfair, really.

Thers nothing wrong with the guy wanting to keep his money in his pocket and not yours. You made the mistake (in both senses of the word) of creating dissension by the p and p overcharge: meaning that he now feels that "it's the principle of the thing" just as you do.

You don't know the guys personal circumstances. EG: he may have just lost his job and his birds given birth. That 3 pound could cover his kids meal.

I think your attitude of "it's only three quid" is very immature and suggests to me very little involvelment in life's hardships. Why don't you go and leave three quid in the street? If it's that's meaningless to you...
(Do it periodically, and see how long you think "it's ionly three quid" for)

---

Excessive p and p annoys me too. however, this is clearly stated on ebay (unlikek other sites) so you've no reason to feel "conned". You just factor it into the equation of whether you want to buy. If you can't do that, you shouldn't really be allowed to use the queen's currency.

Here's a tip:if an item is 5£ but pandp is 5, you're paying ten pounds.
If it's 0.50 nd p and p is 9.50, you're paying ten pounds

It's not hard. Either way, you're paying ten pounds. The p and p is clearly stated, and you don't need to be an aat technician to factor the p and p into your purchasing decision.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:50 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suggestion that I haven't experienced hardships is totally untrue, I was actually ridiculded for being "poor" in school. I live in Bs10, just check the news or crime statistics tonight to see what this area is like. Also I live in a council house and only ride a 1989 250 because I can't afford a car or tastier motorcycle.

Agreed on the point about personal circumstances, I've just never associated a nsr125 ridden by a bloke who has to support kids. Also an airbox is not something likely to "fail" on a bike and more likely to be a part bought to replace a shitty open air filter put in place by a previous owner and thus often not a necessity to replace. I could've understood it's necessity if it were a set of part worn tyres, lights, engine internals or other consumable items. Taking this into account I came to the conclusion "it's only £3".

But then again, I'm unable to gauge each individuals personal circumstances and TBH I'm a cunt for being so ?biase? about the £3. The way I was looking at it, he was just being stingy to an ultimate level and just found it funny (not stupid). However I shouldn't have assumed this to be the truth.

Managed to edit the listing as well, turns out you can do it upto the end IF no one has made a bid.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

OssY
Nearly there...



Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:52 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-WHITE-STRING-THONG-KNICKERS-BRIDAL-14-16-BNWT_W0QQitemZ250363604917QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Women_s_Underwear_Design_2?hash=item250363604917&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1685|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

There are a few people that i would love to see in these. Wat a bargain for £3.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:57 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdim wrote:
Your suggestion that I haven't experienced hardships is totally untrue......


Fair enough!

ps: I don't understand why people are posting links to underwear.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:01 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:

ps: I don't understand why people are posting links to underwear.


because if the lad buys another airbox for £10, the £3 he saves can be spent on these things OR spent on his 6 kids meals for 7 weeks of course.
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rovman
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:52 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ts the way you are trying to make out this chap is some kind of mug for not wanting to spunk an extra three quid into your pocket, that I find distasteful.


To be fair, you're making it sound like he's ripping some guy off with expensive postage when really that is just factored into one final sum which is still a bargain.
A lot of sellers do it (although its against the rules for obvious reasons) to dodge ebay's fee's. They don't take a cut of the postage fee's.

If Jackdim had set a buy now price of £12 and then listed postage as 99p then that guy would probably have no trouble buying it because of the now fair postage price
____________________
Theory Test Passed 01/03/2008 || A2 Test Passed 04/04/08
Kawasaki Ninja 250r 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since eBay are putting up the final value fees to 10% from tomorrow, I reckon there will be a lot more people padding the postage from now on.

steppen22 wrote:
Here's a tip:if an item is 5£ but pandp is 5, you're paying ten pounds.
If it's 0.50 nd p and p is 9.50, you're paying ten pounds

It's not hard. Either way, you're paying ten pounds. The p and p is clearly stated, and you don't need to be an aat technician to factor the p and p into your purchasing decision.


That's far too complicated for the P&P Nazis Smile

P.S. Buy my crap.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting this should come up I've just had the same thing pretty much.

This brake lever, normally £38 + the cost of the adjuster. This is New old stock that has no packaging so discounted to £25 with £2.75 postage. Just had an email from a prospective buyer wanting it post free. So a third off of the price isn't enough they want an extra £2.75 off as well.

Now I don't over charge for postage (It's all recorded in bubble wrap envelopes, multiple items separated into grip lock bags) and the price is good so why do people even try it on?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9999-WA-Wanker-name-tag-iron-on-patch_W0QQitemZ120360528795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120360528795&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Try that, its under 3 pound and canny accurate.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suitor_Stu
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackdim - By the same token, you are refusing to sell the item to him based on a £3 difference, so it obviously makes a difference to you too.

He has a budget to buy, you have a budget to sell. He's trying to haggle for the sake of £3 and you're not prepared to haggle for the sake of £3, so don't make it out like he's being a miser for not being willing to give you more cash - you could just as easily accept the smaller offer if £3 didn't make any difference! Wink

Cheers, Stu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it doesnt cost £8 to post but it would cost a lot more than £8 of my time to buy the packaging materials, wrap it up and wait in the queue in the post office to send it.

The trouble with a lot of ebayers is they want to pay the actual postage cost without taking into account the packaging or your time.
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.38 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.49 Kb