Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bloody MOT testers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Bloody MOT testers Reply with quote

Took her in for a MOT (left her over night to get the head bearings adjusted to pass) So tomorrow I've got to take my legal number plate in to show them I own one before they pass it (fair enough). Advisory on my cans, because they're 'louder than standard'. Quite a bit louder but they are legal. 'Covering our backs'. Rolling Eyes

Small whinge, small problem. Laughing Daft though isn't it. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Technically you cannot legally modify your exhaust system (and replacing the pipework / can would be modifying it) to be noisier than standard even if it is still quieter than the legal limit.

Never heard of anyone being done for it on a bike, but does happen with cars (an example being people who fit an optional prodrive exhaust to Subarus, because although the optional exhaust is legal on a new car it is noisier than the standard exhaust and so illegal to fit).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's daft. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOT system can be strange.

If you have a knackered seatbelt just put a kids seat in that seat and belt it up as the examiner isnt allowed to remove the seat to test the belt and an advisory will be given.

Theres loads more I've come accross too.
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Bloody MOT testers Reply with quote

flip wrote:
So tomorrow I've got to take my legal number plate in to show them I own one before they pass it (fair enough).

They are only covering the own backsides. If they wanted to be arsy about it then they would make you fit it back on too. I always refit my legal plate for MOT to save any hassle. Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job you didn't have ABS Laughing
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 17 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a tight chain.





Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Bloody MOT testers Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
I always refit my legal plate for MOT to save any hassle. Thumbs Up


They never said anything last time, so I figured f*ck it. Laughing OK it's hardly the end of the world but it nearly made me roll my eyes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:03 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

had an advisory for a slack chain.. it was set at 1.5inches as specified in the manual and I serviced the bike the night before..even said it to the tester and he still noted it.. Rolling Eyes
____________________
04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:45 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Bloody MOT testers Reply with quote

flip wrote:
They never said anything last time, so I figured f*ck it.

Ah yes, but the rules changed regarding number plates and MOT's and now you are supposed to have a full size legal plate to pass.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Bloody MOT testers Reply with quote

To be fair the rules were introduced in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, it is hardly a surprise.

I'd also like to ask why are you concerned about advisories? I had a couple for the Superdream, they do exactly what they say on the tin.

They exist to advise you of a potential problem with your vehicle before it gets to the point of failing your MOT or putting people at risk.

That's it. I think the ones for the Superdream was lack of mirrors, only the rear brake is hooked up to the brake light and no side light.

None of which are required for a bike of that age.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Bloody MOT testers Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
I'd also like to ask why are you concerned about advisories?


Just 'cause I know the bike is more than road worthy. Anyway, I've decided that it's a good thing. My bike has an asbo. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think the bike MOT is a bit of a joke compared to the car one. There's nowhere like as much to fail on and any faults are mostly cheap and easy to fix.
____________________
Chris
1985 Kawasaki Z550F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my '30 MOT'd yesterday.

Advisory on the plate size - 7x5 - but expression on the tester's face meant it wasn't that important and "not taking the piss, is it?"

Cans? I think he liked the sound of the V4....I mentioned I had the baffles fitted for the test but he never checked to see if they were there, "well, they don't say they're not for road use".

Pass. Result.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to start a thread, but this will do.

Anyone know the legality of bar end weights for an MOT?

One of mine fell off and I'm not overly fucked about replacing it anytime soon.

If I just take the bolt and other side off, will it pass?

(if they let me off the biblically loud exhaust... wire wool time me thinks)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither my XR or my NC has bar end weights, so don't think it's a requirement.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Was going to start a thread, but this will do.

Anyone know the legality of bar end weights for an MOT?

One of mine fell off and I'm not overly fucked about replacing it anytime soon.

If I just take the bolt and other side off, will it pass?

(if they let me off the biblically loud exhaust... wire wool time me thinks)


Depends on the MOT tester , my NTV was tested at 3 different MOT places and they didn't say a word,

My Africa only had one , and they didn't mention it,

My CBR has both but they were a touch lose wasn't mentioned.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 19 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Was going to start a thread, but this will do.

Anyone know the legality of bar end weights for an MOT?

One of mine fell off and I'm not overly fucked about replacing it anytime soon.

If I just take the bolt and other side off, will it pass?

(if they let me off the biblically loud exhaust... wire wool time me thinks)


They aren't listed on the MOT checksheet, so if you take the remaining one off you should be fine
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 100.06 Kb