Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


First accident witnessed - bloody hell

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: First accident witnessed - bloody hell Reply with quote

I've never actually seen anyone come off a bike before and bloody hell - glad I've seen it now AFTER having done my test cos this would've put me off for life.

Taking my bike into the garage and right in front of me this black Suzuki goes straight into the bonnet of a white van wanting to turn right who obviously hadn't seen this bloke / didn't care. Rider does a complete, perfect cartwheel in the air before smashing down. Thank fuck, he gets up and walks away, but the bike and probably the car is a right off. Hope it wasn't anyone from here - if so, hope you're alright mate, and I was the one who told you to hit your kill switch.

I rode bloody carefully after that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, not good. Hope they're not too bruised and that the white van man's insurance coughs up promptly!
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: First accident witnessed - bloody hell Reply with quote

Pickle wrote:
I've never actually seen anyone come off a bike before and bloody hell - glad I've seen it now AFTER having done my test cos this would've put me off for life.

Taking my bike into the garage and right in front of me this black Suzuki goes straight into the bonnet of a white van wanting to turn right who obviously hadn't seen this bloke / didn't care. Rider does a complete, perfect cartwheel in the air before smashing down. Thank fuck, he gets up and walks away, but the bike and probably the car is a right off. Hope it wasn't anyone from here - if so, hope you're alright mate, and I was the one who told you to hit your kill switch.

I rode bloody carefully after that.


In a self-learning way seeing accidents are actually good ... we have all heard of the 'turning car' crash, but to have it rammed home like that means you will always be mega cautious if/when you see a turning car and therefore this accident will probably never happen to you, that can only be a good thing!! Thumbs Up
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I witnessed a head-on of a similar nature a few years back, the poor rider ended up next to my car with an obviously broken leg, the woman whose fault it was lived in my road at the time and promptly went mental, blaming everyone else for the crash. I put that down to shock but she pushed her luck right up until the week of the court case before finally seeing sense and pleading guilty. She got 4 points and a fine.

Her mistake was pulling out to overtake a queue that was waiting to go straight on at a roundabout, she wanted to go right but had to cross onto the other side of the road to jump the queue, the biker was overtaking coming the other way but was still on his side of the road, I was doing exactly the same thing the previous night but I don't overtake there anymore Shocked

Makes you think and, as others have said, is not a bad lesson in how easily things can go spectacularly wrong!

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
...I was doing exactly the same thing the previous night but I don't overtake there anymore Shocked


There's a few spots like that on my commute too.

I'm very cautious proceeding from traffic lights as so many vehicles seem to keep going on red.

Last year I witnessed a ped boi fly after a Bini took him out on red, nasty... Neutral
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roundabout at the end of my road is like this, small island on a big roundabout means people straight line it and don't even slow for the roundabout. I am so bloody careful there and have had to stop on the roundabout several times for people who should have given way to me.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quick trawl through Youtube "Motorcycle crashes" is the best way to remind yourself to be more cautious on the roads.
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God he was wearing gear... otherwise the consequences would be quite a bit more severe! Wonder if that pic is on the net....? Anyway.... I've picked up a couple of people who have come off bikes because ignorant cagers dont look before they turn! The ambulance crews keep trying to put me off riding, they havent succeeded yet!
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvectusIncurro wrote:
Thank God he was wearing gear... otherwise the consequences would be quite a bit more severe!


How do you know he was wearing anything other than a helmet?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
ProvectusIncurro wrote:
Thank God he was wearing gear... otherwise the consequences would be quite a bit more severe!


How do you know he was wearing anything other than a helmet?


like this Smile

Pickle wrote:
...Thank fuck, he gets up and walks away...


If he wasnt wearing at least a jacket and gloves then he probably wouldnt have got up....

granted i dont actually know in this instance, but i;ve seen enough motorcycle collisions on the job to know when people get up and when they dont...
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit Shocked

glad he was alright Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvectusIncurro wrote:

If he wasnt wearing at least a jacket and gloves then he probably wouldnt have got up....


Pish and twaddle.

EDIT:

Also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A_2ZDe5Y0
Naked American flips stoppie. Then gets up.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.


Last edited by stinkwheel on 17:34 - 18 Mar 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvectusIncurro wrote:

If he wasnt wearing at least a jacket and gloves then he probably wouldnt have got up....

granted i dont actually know in this instance, but i;ve seen enough motorcycle collisions on the job to know when people get up and when they dont...


Holy shit I must be superman.

Some shoot me or something I wanna see if I can stop bullets.

Oh and some of my friends are gonna join me as we all obviously have super powers cause they got up after accidents with no gear (one had no helmet) and we are going to form the Justice League.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: First accident witnessed - bloody hell Reply with quote

Pickle wrote:
I've never actually seen anyone come off a bike before and bloody hell - glad I've seen it now AFTER having done my test cos this would've put me off for life.

Taking my bike into the garage and right in front of me this black Suzuki goes straight into the bonnet of a white van wanting to turn right who obviously hadn't seen this bloke / didn't care. Rider does a complete, perfect cartwheel in the air before smashing down. Thank fuck, he gets up and walks away, but the bike and probably the car is a right off. Hope it wasn't anyone from here - if so, hope you're alright mate, and I was the one who told you to hit your kill switch.

I rode bloody carefully after that.


Did you stop and offer your name as a witness?
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvectusIncurro wrote:
If he wasnt wearing at least a jacket and gloves then he probably wouldnt have got up....

https://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/jondopics/0_funny_oh_no_you_didnt.gif
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've witnessed 3.


I was in all 3 of them.






Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's pretty brutal thing to witness isn't it...?

Experienced a similar thing as a pedestrian - I legged it across the road in front of a bike (there was enough time), but the woman turning out of a side road, said and I quote...'I drove out because I saw the pedestrian crossing, and thought it was clear..' poor sod on the bike crashed into the side of her car and flipped over the bonnet...it was horrible...

But at least I was on hand, a) to be his witness, and b) to stop anyone taking his lid off.

I was never called for witness, so I presume the outcome was successful for the biker.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deliriousthun...
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickle wrote:
I was the one who told you to hit your kill switch.


Laughing that is ace!

Guy gets hit head on, does a cartwheel midair, lands on the road, gets up and walks away... You saunter over and tell him he should probably hit his kill switch..

Am I the only person who would've made sure there was an ambulance and/or police, (mainly for insurance claims), on the way, got him to sit down, and hit the kill switch myself?

People in shock have been known to walk for a good 5-10 mins after breaking a leg before they realise it's broken and the pain hits them..

I know someone who played an entire 90 minute game of football without realising his leg was broken Laughing
____________________
Tom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my first proper crash on the NC29. I broke my right ankle when I booted the curb at 40mph.

I got up, Lifted the bike up and pushed it off the road. RODE the thing home. Then complained my ankle hurt. Went to take my boot off and realised I couldnt get the zip down it was that swolen.



Went to A&E, They managed to get my Sidi Boot off. Took an Xray. And I spent the following few months on crutches with a cast on my leg. Laughing



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 19 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
When I had my first proper crash on the NC29. I broke my right ankle when I booted the curb at 40mph.

I got up, Lifted the bike up and pushed it off the road...


I once picked up a ZXR4 with a broken arm, wheeled it to the side of the road, rolled a fag, then went nuts at the fella and phoned an ambulance when the pain kicked in. Laughing

It's daft what you do.

My brother once saw a fella in an open faced lid get pulled out on by a van. (How's that for good English?) Face first into the side of it. Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 19 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

deliriousthunder wrote:
pickle wrote:
I was the one who told you to hit your kill switch.


Laughing that is ace!

Guy gets hit head on, does a cartwheel midair, lands on the road, gets up and walks away... You saunter over and tell him he should probably hit his kill switch..

Am I the only person who would've made sure there was an ambulance and/or police, (mainly for insurance claims), on the way, got him to sit down, and hit the kill switch myself?

People in shock have been known to walk for a good 5-10 mins after breaking a leg before they realise it's broken and the pain hits them..

I know someone who played an entire 90 minute game of football without realising his leg was broken Laughing


He had 20 people around him all calling ambulances and whatever, telling him to sit down, offering to be witnesses, telling him he was in shock and he was ignoring the lot of them - probably because he was in shock and because he was swearing his tits off at the fucker who went into him. I was actually the only one he listened to. I didn't saunter over, I was still on my bike in a queue of traffic, so I couldn't get to the switch without getting off in the middle of rubberneckers - no thanks.

And he was wearing a helmet, gloves, textile jacket (couldn't see if it was armoured) and jeans (couldn't tell if they were draggin). He was definitely hurt in some way cos he kept clutching his belly - probably hit the bars as he catapulted over them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.19 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 121.02 Kb