Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Claiming on insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Claiming on insurance Reply with quote

As some of you will know my bike was nicked and torched over the weekend.
To sort it will cost me about £400.
To recover it cost me £150 (robbing scum bags)
I have a £25 excess.
I have third party fire and theft insurance.
I want to put the bike back on the road but I want to do a full rebuild, a lot of the work I want to do will not be covered by the insurance. I have never made a claim in my life, every crash has been cash settled or fought out with fists at the side of the road.
I have asked advice from mates, some of them say claim, others say do not touch the insurance company with a barge-pole as they will rip me a new bum in retribution over the rest of my life.
So what do I do? My gut instinct is to just sort it myself and not involve the insurance but what is p'ing me off is the £150 recovery fee.
BCFers your advice please.
Wali T
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should put into insurance quote engines yes I have a claim of X (bits which I skip over) to see how much your premium will increase next year due to the claim.....

I've always seen insurance to be a scam and as such go with the absolute minimum required as it seems to be a lose lose situation either way, ie crash you lose via higher premium.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Claiming on insurance Reply with quote

Sometimes you can be 'quids in' with insurance, but as suggested, others not at all.
Unfortunately it may not be possible to get an idea of how much you would get if you claim without actually doing so.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice to give regarding insurance- personally I doubt I'd bother, I look at it as a legal necessity and not anything useful, but I'm young so claiming would cost me more than fixing the bike/ accepting it's gone in lost no claims anyway- just wanted to say I'm really glad you've decided to rebuild her- she's far too historic and pretty to just break up. That and it seems to me like that's not admitting defeat to the thieves- look on the rebuild as an act of defiance. Good luck Sir, and make sure you keep us posted on your progress Smile
____________________
A2 passed 22/07/08; restriction up 22/07/10 (just so I don't forget)
'79 Suzuki GS550E. Yes, that's a GS550, not a GS500.
Supersports "In a video editing competition I'd kick your sorry ass"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 19 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the stuff that got burnt out I have anyway like a petrol tank and seat. Other stuff that got done like the lights I will not bother replacing as I just want it for daytime use. I want to have the frame stove enameled but te fire damage only needs a tin of hammerite to sort out.
I need a new set of cables but I normaly make them myself for a few quid.
Is it worth the grief?
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 46.13 Kb