Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Riding appriasal peeps... what's the next step for me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 30 Mar 2009    Post subject: Riding appriasal peeps... what's the next step for me? Reply with quote

Right, it was pretty sunny and i've broken up for easter, but since i've got to finish off my disertation, i decided to stay up for a few weeks in Loughborough, taking the opportunity to have a hoon down my local roads. Thought it would be a good idea to get people's opinions how I ride, since i had a discussion with my mates when i was drunk/mashed/stoned over the last few days that my riding has changed since getting the blade; and that my mates who rode pillion all complimented me.

Anyway, I thought I'd like to see what people's reactions are on my riding

BladeTot Goes out on one Youtube link
BladeTot Goes out on one FBlink

Needless to say, i need to know what my next step is; i want to get more kicks out of my riding since i feel that pushing it on the road will be too much, but i also feel that i've got a LOT to learn on the roads despite having about 55k miles under my belt (which considering I've just turned 22 is a lot for 2 wheels).

Either way, feel free to browse my youtube channel.. for comparison, there's a few vids of me on my ZX6R from 2 years ago; the riding leaves something to be desired.. and NO I don't do knee downs or wheelies; I don't see the need in wrecking a perfectly good, healty bike.

How i used to ride... rather reckless


Many thanks

Tit
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

OssY
Nearly there...



Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 30 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a new place to mount that camera bud and then repost.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding appriasal peeps... what's the next step for me? Reply with quote

Titz wrote:


Doesn't seem reckless to me Confused
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 30 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

OssY wrote:
Find a new place to mount that camera bud and then repost.


Can't find any usuable areas since the only place with a thick enough circumference is my crash bungs. The mirrors would be a crap place to mount them, and the viewing angle from an ATC2k is pretty poor to begin with.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier



Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 30 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you think i'm safe enough, then that's cool. Iif you don't, then i suggest you hop on the back or follow me in a car and give me feedback. I personally don't think I'm a reckless rider and having had my fair share of silly moments on the ZX6R, I've learnt to treat things with more respect.

If you think I ride dangeroursly, then you're probably not an observant rider/driver ... that's my opinion anyway.


I get the feeling that even if someone did suggest that you could do something better, you're not going to take it onboard and just pass it off as someone that isn't "observant" enough.

This would have been better titled "I think I'm quality, those who agree join the rimming queue".

*constructive* As mentioned it would be good to see a better camera view, impossible to really take anything from that film */constructive*
____________________
Past: Katana 50, NSR125RR, FZR600r, CB-1 Present: TRX850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit camera angles make for great watching.
heres another example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j606pP8g5FU

find some corners... i got a little bored and skimmed through, and it looks like its all straight roads?

go faster, lean more, dont die and dont get caught being naughty.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, looks like you prefer right handers better. You have better positioning on the rights.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie B wrote:


I get the feeling that even if someone did suggest that you could do something better, you're not going to take it onboard and just pass it off as someone that isn't "observant" enough.

This would have been better titled "I think I'm quality, those who agree join the rimming queue"....
err how about no ... i was trying to be serious for once, and i wanted people to pass judgement on my riding style. With spring coming up, a load of my mates had been on the back of the bike and all agreed they had a good time, but because it was their first time, they don't know what the ideal peception of "safe riding was" and to be honest, I feel confidently quick enough for the roads, but not sure if it was perceived to be dangerous or reckless.

Stevie B wrote:

*constructive* As mentioned it would be good to see a better camera view, impossible to really take anything from that film */constructive*.
.. noted... but try filming through a dark smoked screen on an ATC2K and you'll see what I mean; equipment limitations and limited mounting points prevail

You obviously don't know my humour, sarcasm, or downright political incorrectness or anything like that Wink Just because I'm a bit of a nutter in person, doesn't mean that i can't be taken seriously.

Nevertheless, Got a lot of constructive observations from guys on facebook... Gaz and G both agreed that my positioning on left hand bends needs working on since Gaz said i'm pretty much in the left 1/3rd for most of them. Need to get into the mindframe that you got to be comfortable sticking in the middle for left handers for visibility rather than runnign it wide cos you're in the gutter approaching a leftie.

I used to get a lot of stick a while ago when i used to do group rideouts and what with the ride-out season starting soon, i wanted to get my act together. I feel obliged that if i'm going on group ride outs (particularly with recently passed guys in the uni bike club) that i should try to lead by example to prevent any noobs making similar mistakes. Its always nice to follow a guy who'se had quite a bit of experience in comparison to when you first started off. I kinda owe my biking spurt to the guys at Uni, so again it's always nice and gratifying if the guys that follow you take the positive aspects out of riding... rather than hearing from somebody they've lamped their bike into a ditch!

I guess cos i'm on a thou, there's the potential to get really silly on the roads, so I wanted to make sure i get things right before I get myself or others potentially endangered. In the end, I know there's a limit on the road; just need to make sure i appreciate where it is.

So that's why i stuck this video up! It's not a "lets bumfuck him because he's cooooo'"... i don't need anybody to tell me dat i'm coo' Wink, just need to know if people's perceptions of my riding are safe... that is all.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:02 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo the points which have come out on road positioning - you do seem to be always over to the left.

IMO (and others), best place to be for visibility is in the right wheel channel of the lane when on straight roads and LH bends, and the left wheel channel on the approaches to, and through, RH bends.

I always move to the middle of the lane on the appraches to blind crests - you never know what is on the other side - a hazard could be on the side of the road or oncoming encraching across the white line.

Also, I never take the racing line through corners, unless I can see all the way through it, since you are more likely to run wide using that line, and it hampers visibility.

Other than that I have nothing to add!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't enjoying riding the blade, get a 600 again.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier



Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
Stevie B wrote:


I get the feeling that even if someone did suggest that you could do something better, you're not going to take it onboard and just pass it off as someone that isn't "observant" enough.

This would have been better titled "I think I'm quality, those who agree join the rimming queue"....
err how about no ... i was trying to be serious for once, and i wanted people to pass judgement on my riding style. With spring coming up, a load of my mates had been on the back of the bike and all agreed they had a good time, but because it was their first time, they don't know what the ideal peception of "safe riding was" and to be honest, I feel confidently quick enough for the roads, but not sure if it was perceived to be dangerous or reckless.

Stevie B wrote:

*constructive* As mentioned it would be good to see a better camera view, impossible to really take anything from that film */constructive*.
.. noted... but try filming through a dark smoked screen on an ATC2K and you'll see what I mean; equipment limitations and limited mounting points prevail

You obviously don't know my humour, sarcasm, or downright political incorrectness or anything like that Wink Just because I'm a bit of a nutter in person, doesn't mean that i can't be taken seriously.


Confused So this a humourous post...? How does me understanding your humour have anything to do with commenting on your riding. Titz, I know from your posts what you're like, you're exactly like the majority of mates from Uni and home so I've nothing against you, I just replied in a serious manner as that was how I thought the original post was intended. Although looking bad now may have been a tad harsh, few beers last night you see.

Anyway, back OT I'll be interested to see what the other feedback is like as I spent most of yesterday on the bike trying to improve my corner entry and exit techniques, then just bimbling down the straights to the next one.
____________________
Past: Katana 50, NSR125RR, FZR600r, CB-1 Present: TRX850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha fair enough Steve; i kinda overreacted too.. (that said, i was a bit monged since I was home alone). Thumbs Up Karma Wink

Going on a ride tomorrow with one of my mates I used to ride with; he suggested the be on the opposite side of the road when approaching a left hander to get a proper view through it and get on the gas a lot earlier when you can clearly see the exit.

But to be honest, nothing can be done with the camera cos it's only an ATC2K... i tried it on the wing mirror and since the blade doesn't have a H-frame brace as such (unlike the 6R), it flexes too much when you put it on stalk.... The circumference of the mounting point is way too large for the stalk.

Mounting it on the tank will just get a good shot of the air... Mounting it on the helmet would be ideal, BUT buffeting will be an issue (i suppose backpack strap will be a good way)... but it's a crap setup since ideally a 2 cam setup would be better for stereo vision... Or a DogCam setup (when i have the funds).
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 31 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
... what he said! ...


I agree with this dude!! Thumbs Up

Both vids were sh1te quality (but you know that already (ATC2k's are pap!) it'd be easier to judge with better quality vid/cam or better still being filmed from behind by a 'chase' bike as we can then see what you are upto on the bike ... Thumbs Up

I only watched the first few mins of both, but I'd actually say I preferred the way you used to ride as you used more of the road ... on the blade you seem to follow what would be the left hand tyre track on a car religiously ... that's not good for observation or pace ...

Oh and finally I fecking hate bike vids that have music over them!! Rolling Eyes ... I don't care how poor the engine sound/quality is, I'd rather hear that than the youtube posters taste in music!! .. just don't do it!! Thumbs Down
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lurker
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 05 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "nutter" persona does not translate onto the road.
if anything i'd say your ridings a tad on the tame side, so the only thing i'd worry about on rideouts with the newbie uni mates is the chance that the may pick up on your tendency to ride too far to the left of your lane esp on left handers.
And the possibility of them passing you on the outside on your fireblade while negotiating them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 07 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than on a couple of occasions/overtakes, I'd say you made better progress on the ZX6R.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.42 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 98.75 Kb