Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What vans will fit a bike in the back?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: What vans will fit a bike in the back? Reply with quote

As above, for example an escort van? or a small astra van etc? I was looking into buying another car+trailer, but really the amount I use it I might as well just buy a shitter of a van and use that with the added bonus of carrying bikes (hopefully)

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll fit 1 maybe 2 bikes depending on make/model into a Fiat Scudo (Peugeot expert, citroen dispatch)

One of the guys I stunt with fits a hornet 600 into an new style Vauxal Combo (too tired to spell the damn thing lol) van with the front seat folded down, it's a bit of a squeeze not sure if a sports bike would go in or not.

Had 2 bikes in a Ford Transit Connect before, I'd say 1 comfortably though.

You'll fit 2 easily and maybe 3 in a Transit/Ducato/Transporter/Vito.

I personally have had a Scudo and transporter for regular bike use. I also have a transit and fiat ducato both of which are equally good for carrying bikes about.

If you're after something cheap you might pick up an old single cab pick up like a beat up VW Caddy (altho these are popular iconic trucks which go for a lot of money when done up) or a Skoda felica truck etc... might be worth looking into.

Pretty certain you won't get one in a VW Caddy VAN or the old style VW combo.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one of those vw pickups.

Rock on.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can fit any of the bikes ive ever owned in the back of a VW sharan, upright.

its a squeeze to get it in there, but with the sidestand down and seatbelts on it, its fine.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ringer
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto with Toyota Previa. Bit of a squeeze, but for the occasional journey quite possible. A word of warning though - FFS strap it down properly - and I don't just mean straps from side to side. Having over 100kg of bike flying towards the windscreen the first time you brake hard is not fun! How do I know this? Embarassed
____________________
Suzuki GT250 (stolen 1980), Kawasaki H1 500 (blew up 1982), Piaggio Liberty 125 (since 2008), Moto Morini 500 Strada (since 2008), CB125T (in bits)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any info on vans with the lowest load floor height? I'd love a van but I have trouble getting bikes into G's van because its so high off of the floor. I need someone to hold the bike while I climb in the back.

I'd like a van the size of a large car with a low floor height. Any reccomendations?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danzio
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

marjay:



https://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1749/1541/29370770001_large.jpg

low enough for ya?? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I'd like a van the size of a large car with a low floor height. Any reccomendations?


Vitos are pretty car like to be fair.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that I found showing their van they use to move bikes around in;

https://www.motorbike-movers.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My race team transports about six karts (three down either side) that are about 4 feet or so wide each in a Merc Sprinter, could fit about six bikes in that. Thumbs Up
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 10 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I need someone to hold the bike while I climb in the back.


I would just get 2 ramps so I could walk up the other one. But I did have my eye on a VW Transporter at one point, it had a nice low floor.

If I could tow anything with my car I'd be tempted by a box trailer for van-type storage without having to seperately tax, mot and insure the thing. And probably with a full-width door/ramp.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 10 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap the van idea I bought a DRZ-E instead Very Happy

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 75.28 Kb