Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike Prices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Bike Prices Reply with quote

Prices have gone a fair bit because of summer. When do they start going down again?

I'm thinking whether I should hold out buying a new bike but it would mean learning to ride a big bike in winter but oh well Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Darth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would imagine they will start to drop again as the nights get darker and the full winter gear is required for a quick trip to the shops!

Think i am gonna be sticking with my bike until next year now but problem is if i look at buying something as prices drop off them will also be the totally wrong time to try and sell too, i cant afford two bikes and being all summer without one seems unthinkable too Sad
____________________
Harold_Shand wrote: I suppose it's like anything, you get your fingers burned when you start out, you learn from it and eventually become a complete arsehole about the whole thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Re: Bike Prices Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
Prices have gone a fair bit because of summer. When do they start going down again?

I'm thinking whether I should hold out buying a new bike but it would mean learning to ride a big bike in winter but oh well Laughing


I think it is a complete myth about the prices rising in summer and falling in winter. I looked all through last year for a bike and the prices of say a pre 2000 CBR600, zxr750, zx6r, R6, Thundercat, Fazer, Thunderace, VF750 - has been pretty much the.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Re: Bike Prices Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
rac3r wrote:
Prices have gone a fair bit because of summer. When do they start going down again?

I'm thinking whether I should hold out buying a new bike but it would mean learning to ride a big bike in winter but oh well Laughing


I think it is a complete myth about the prices rising in summer and falling in winter. I looked all through last year for a bike and the prices of say a pre 2000 CBR600, zxr750, zx6r, R6, Thundercat, Fazer, Thunderace, VF750 - has been pretty much the.


It's not a myth. It's very much written in stone if you paid attention to eBay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter though if you are replacing your bike.

You get less for yours but pay less for your new one.

It also depends on what bike it is. Bikes with matte black paint will probably go up in price during winter Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a bit lucky that I bought my brand new RS for 3200.. It seems they go for 3500-3600 now.. You still can get previous year 0 mileage one for the price I paid last year.

Not a good moment for a bike purchase I suppose. The main reason must be a high demand from abroad.. apparently UK dealers sell the cheapest bikes in EU.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

willis1337
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also affected by the sterling exchange rate against the dollar and euro (which is poo at the moment).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This years (new) bike prices are related partly obviously to inflation, but also the increase in the cost of metal, despite companies buying metal at last years prices, they sell the bikes they make at inflated prices. The increase is most prominent in smaller cc bikes such as the mito, aprilia rs and ninja 250, but if you for example went to suzuki's website last year you would have seen the following example trend:

2008
Hayabusa: £9000
VAT lowered to 15%
Hayabusa: £8700(ish)
2009
Hayabusa: £9400

If you consider that a bikes frame is quite a large part overall, the increase in price in a Hayabusa will not be proportionate to that of a RS125, however if it had been inflation alone, we would see either larger increases for the Hayabusa, or smaller increases lower down. Suzuki may be a bad example as I believe they didn't alter their learner bike prices much, as they were all 4stroke things for thrashing at a training school.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 10 May 2009    Post subject: Re: Bike Prices Reply with quote

instigator wrote:


It's not a myth. It's very much written in stone if you paid attention to eBay.


F,G,J model ZX6rs were around 1200-1500+ on ebay in the winter and their price is pretty much the same now.

I had multiple ebay searches saved with it e-mailing me the results every day. Complete myth I tell you Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

geordiecbrblo...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 10 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices have definately shot up at the lower prices range, I wouldn't say it was seasonal but because of the economy and weak pound vs euro Sad

Examples, my mate bought a M reg ZZR600 4 years ago for £1500 and it looks like he'd get most of cash back now, same with a 51 reg 12k mile CBR600 sold privately 3 years ago for £2400.

Good condition SRAD600s were easily bought for less than £2k last year but nothing like that now.

Even Glass's guide say that prices have risen this year...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 10 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always choose the wrong moment to come back to the UK and I can say bike prices do go up in summer.

Cause I can't find shit to ride for when I'm back Laughing
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.85 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.54 Kb