Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Guess what I'm doing in 4 days

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Guess what I'm doing in 4 days Reply with quote

Yup that's right, I'm going for a ride with Charley Boorman Smile

Well, kind of. Me, a mate and about 300 others as best i can tell.
He's at it again with his series 'By any means" and a friend spotted the press release below and let me know about it.
Luckily it's only about a 2 hour ride to get there from my place and heading back this way for the trip.
Also as luck would have it Monday is the first day on a week off work for me and 2 days before my birthday.
i remember him doing this about a year ago and missed out on the chance and was none too happy about it.....not this time though

Looking forward to it.

Below is the press release with the info

Press Release
Friday 8th May

PHOTOCALL NOTIFICATION!!

CHARLEY BOORMAN IS COMING BACK TO AUSTRALIA AND WILL TO BEGIN HIS NEW EPIC EXPEDITION FROM SYDNEY. HE WILL BE SETTING OFF FROM FRESHWATER RESERVE IN HARBORD AND HEADING UP TO THE CENTRAL COAST ON MONDAY 18TH MAY 2009 BY MOTORBIKE AND INVITES ALL MOTORBIKE ENTHUSIASTS TO JOIN HIM.

Last July, Celebrity Adventurer Charley Boorman (also known for his appearance in Long Way Round and Long Way Down with Ewan McGregor) finished his first solo expedition, ‘By Any Means’ (featured here on Nat Geo Adventure Channel) from Ireland to Sydney at the Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain, having travelled through 24 different countries to reach his final destination. To add a dramatic end to his expedition, more than 300 bikers took part in the convoy from Wollongong to Sydney causing quite a sight as they all crossed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

A huge fan of Australia, Charley has opted to begin his new expedition from Sydney heading north and is calling again on all local motorcycle riders to join him in making the first stretch a similarly unforgettable one.

Key Timings for the morning of Monday 18th May 2009:

10:00 Charley will arrive at the Freshwater Reserve to meet fans and will be available for press interviews and some photos. (PUBLIC EVENT)
11:00 The Motorbike Convoy will depart Freshwater Reserve, Harbord.
12:30 The Motorbike Convoy will arrive at Frazer Beach in Munmorah State Conservation Area just north of The Entrance. Motorcycling Australia will be hosting a sausage sizzle for convoy participants. Additional photo call opportunity.

All riders wishing to participate must have their own motorbikes, be fully licensed, insured and adhere to current NSW traffic laws. The event will be supervised by the RTA and NSW Police.

By Any Means is another challenging expedition for Charley. In Australia he will travel northwards up the East Coast using a number of different forms of transport including a spitfire, vintage utes, a mustering chopper, Bundaberg delivery truck, and he has even been offered a lift with the Royal Flying Doctors in return for raising awareness of their need for charitable donations. After leaving Australia, Charley will travel through Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, The Philippines, Taiwan and Japan before reaching the final destination Japan.

The series will be shown globally and a DVD and book of the series will be retailed here.

Speaking ahead of his arrival into Sydney, Charley Boorman said:
“I’m calling on all fellow motorbike enthusiasts to come with us for the ride from Freshwater Reserve to the Central Coast to kick start my new expedition. This is the bit I look forward to the best, especially hearing all those bike engines roaring as we’re about to set off. It’s always such a buzz when all us bikee’s get together.”
Wink
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alone
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Accidently' crash into him. Plleeeaasssee.
____________________
Bikes; '06 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (for sale) - '95 BMW R1100GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad that you're doing something that you're excited about: a rideout that big looks to be fun.
I still reckon that Charley Boorman is a whiney twat of the highest order, though. When his bike's parked up, spray a shitload of expanding insulation foam down the exhaust. Watch him throw his toys out of the pram. Laugh. Twisted Evil
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm not quite the responses I was expecting tbh Very Happy

Not overly concerned about him being there as I don't care much for fame and all that which goes with it.
To me he's just another bloke on the ride.

I just see it as an opportunity to experience something a little out of the ordinary.

As for a ride out that big.

We have an annual toy run here which I never miss rain, hail or shine and last years effort saw over 7000 bikes attend and ride.
So a mere 300 is pittance really.

Crash into him ? If he touches my kwaka I'll snot him Smile
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he periodically appears on TV over here, and never ceases to irritate. I wasn't overly taken with his behaviour on Long Way Round/Down - while I'm not going to start raving about how awesome Ewan McGregor is, Boorman seemed to be doing the whole 'look at me, I'm the better rider here!' routine a bit too much. Nothing immediately obvious, but it's just how it came across to me.
I just have him mentally bracketed as a bit of a stroppy bitch, really.

Still, the rideout sounds like a laugh, and I desperately wish that there were some similarly big ones going on around here.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if it could be a laugh.

It does sounds a little scraping the barrel for him to be doing a "By any means 2" though.

There has been a bit of a backlash against Boorman and McGregor, which is probably a little unfair.

FWIW, I thought Charley was preferable to Mr McGregor on 'Long Way 'Round'.
I gave up on 'Long Way Down' after 2 episodes

I gave up on 'By Any Means' after the Iran episode.

His book on Dakar was an interesting account of the event and his background.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you like him or not, for an out of work actor/ kitchen fitter he is doing alright.
I can't see the problem with him if you take what he does in the context he does it. Yes he has help, yes the bikes break down and they get repaired, yes he stays in hotels and gets stuff paid for, but I wouldn't mind doing just half the riding he does, with or without the help.

The guy took time out to chat and have photos taken with my son, he gave his time and made my son feel really special. I know thats his job, but he did it in a genuine way.

I'm looking forward to his next adventure as they are entertaining.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Re: Guess what I'm doing in 4 days Reply with quote

I found this bit a tad confusing:

DEN MONKEY wrote:
After leaving Australia, Charley will travel through Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, The Philippines, Taiwan and Japan before reaching the final destination Japan.




Thinking
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEN MONKEY wrote:
If he touches my kwaka I'll snot him Smile

You're going to meet him and you have a gun? [scratches chin thoughtfully]

Don't worry, just wear a HA/outlaws patch when you do the deed Wink.

Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:51 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
DEN MONKEY wrote:
If he touches my kwaka I'll snot him Smile

You're going to meet him and you have a gun? [scratches chin thoughtfully]

Don't worry, just wear a HA/outlaws patch when you do the deed Wink.

Razz


no G that was meant to be sNot him. As in give him a poke in the nose..... punch him Smile
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:00 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I read what I wanted to read Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pyx_e
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:52 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a kiss from me.


Ask if he is going to the "I am carrying a bomb." thing at the airport again, that cracked me up.
____________________
Shiney!
Kawasaki: ER5, Versys, VN900.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the best description of Boorman ever?

Caitlin Moran for Times Online wrote:

To be both blunt but also, I feel, totally fair, Boorman comes across as a copper-bottomed, ocean-going, 24-carat prick. The unsuccessful actor son of director John Deliverance Boorman, Charley is the kind of spoilt, charmless boor whose self-satisfied bull-honking floats down from first class on transatlantic flights, and actually makes you glad to be poor. In the first episode alone, Boorman departs on his epic journey despite his wife being in hospital with pneumonia and a collapsed lung; is questioned by four policemen at Gatwick after telling an air stewardess that he has a bomb; and cuts up rough when McGregor’s wife – who is, let us not forget, left at home with the kids for three months while her husband burns rubber in the Dark Continent – says she wants to join the trip for just ten days.

“I want to protect the experience, and keep it real,” Boorman says, sulkily, standing next to his branded SUV, being filmed by a TV crew.


Laughing
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caitlin Moran for Times Online
I've never met her and her times profile suggests she's a tad older than those I would usually pursue, but I want to marry her Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Caitlin Moran for Times Online
I've never met her and her times profile suggests she's a tad older than those I would usually pursue, but I want to marry her Razz.


She's only about 35, how old are you?!
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

However old/young she may be, she's a fucking genius. Definitely got the measure of Boorman there... Very Happy
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

29, I suppose that'd work too, then! Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.02 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 103 Kb