Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I can't believe I am even resorting to asking such a n00b q!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: I can't believe I am even resorting to asking such a n00b q! Reply with quote

Basically,

I need a motorcycle after 2 years without one. pre-requistes: -

Low Maintenance
Good MPG
Powerful enough to safely overtake on a NSL
Commutable.

I've had a Bandit before, I think that fills most of these points, apart from maybe the MPG bit? I really don't want a 125, I have a full licence and 4 years NCB so want to use it effectively. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB400.
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
CB400.

I would love a superfour as I think they were one of the sexiest naked bikes ever produced, however I can't seem to find one for a reasonable price. By reasonable I mean sub £1500...
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB500?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Bandit would do the job, but do you fancy a change? Something like a Hornet, Fazer or Z750?

GPZ500, CB500, etc would all probably be lower maintenance and better on fuel.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head is telling me "Parallel Twin - 500cc". My heart is saying "be stupid, get an inline 4 600cc, maybe even a twin e.g SV650". Anybody know where I can find facts and figures for these bikes? I know Parkers does such a system for cars, but I just checked and they don't do facts and figures for bikes. Sad
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine people here will give you better advice than 'claimed' figures. Fwiw, GS500e (naked) for me gets about 170miles to reserve, but I rag it, nearly, everywhere (my commute is 90% NSL country road)
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a Hornet or an SV650 seem to be semi abundant around the £1500 mark. I really don't fancy another Bandit. Too heavy and since riding other bikes, not sure I fancy going back to one.

I've never ridden a V-Twin though and so the change seems appealing, especially the low down torque.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:

I've never ridden a V-Twin though and so the change seems appealing, especially the low down torque.

As ever, I'll suggest low down torque (and power) comes from bigger capacity. Twins often have the illusion of more thanks to lower gearing.

Consider a TRX850, or possible a TDM? GPZ and KLE would both be on the list. KLR650 won't handle dual-carrigeway overtaking that great, but ticks all the other boxes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, quick question regarding No Claims Bonus expiry. My last policy expired on 18/04/2008. The letter from MCE my previous insurer states that I have 4 years No Claims entitlement at the expiry of the policy. The NCB is valid for 2 years though right?
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 or sometimes 3 I think.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Normally you have 2 years. Depends on the company.

G wrote:

As ever, I'll suggest low down torque (and power) comes from bigger capacity. Twins often have the illusion of more thanks to lower gearing.


Not really. Quick check and comparing an SV650 with either a CBR600F or an early R6 and the SV is geared quite a bit higher (~20mph faster for the same revs in top). The 4s can get away with lower gearing because they rev higher.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of a GPZ500, you can find them cheap (couple of bikes about with about 20,000 miles on the clock and for about £1500), they apparently do 65MPG and I always seem to recall them being far more exciting than your equivalent 500cc parallel twin.

Just did an insurance check and I should be able to insure one for about £120 which isn't too shabby at all.

Problem is I really want to test one before I buy one, but you don't see many old bikes doing the round in bike showrooms do ya?!
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
The NCB is valid for 2 years though right?


Entirely depends on the demands of the company accepting (or not accepting) it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 82.45 Kb