Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Nsr 125 ignition problem.no spark???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Honda Nsr 125 ignition problem.no spark??? Reply with quote

Hey.
I got a problem on my 1999 Honda Nsr 125.
I drove it for 15 minutes and then it suddenly stopped. i checked the spark but nothing there. Sometimes i get one spark at the beginning when im trying to start the engine, And i measured the the coil. No current there. Anyone that got an idea of what it could be? CDI?

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you make sure the plug was rested on the cylinder head when testing it as it wont spark if you just dangle it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:41 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I tried many different places. Still no spar. But when the ignition is on. The coil should have current to the primary and secondary coil. And I had none.

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i would check all connections at the cdi then mainly the black/yellow one IIRC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:45 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked all connections in front, under the gas tank and the cdi connections. Is it possible to measure the cdi? does the wiring go directly from the cdi to the coil?

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using a different fuse?

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:55 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. 3 different sparkplugs
=)

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:09 - 04 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the lights work. And i saw on the fuse. it looks ok. But if it was broken. nothing should have worked ?

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDI means Capacity Discharge Ignition , so no voltage in primary
ignition bugs on this type of ignition are :
- loose contact with the black/yellow wire , look connections at CDI and primary coil
- worn alternator stator
- worn timming coil (inside alternator)
- HT lead or cap worn
download my file https://www.geneva-racing.ch/~alains/NSRtips.doc and follow instructions at ignition bugs chapter

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:41 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
I downloaded your file and did what it said. all the measurements are correct on my bike. But I measured the coil. and it got no current on the black wire or the red wire. can i take current directly from the battery to the red and black wire so see if the coil sparks?

Ps. Saw this in another mail.
all colours are :
red : +12V direct from battery
black : +12V after key switch
green : ground
and it's like this on all honda's

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the ignition is a AC-CDI which has charging coils separate from the main 12V feed . your CDI is may be worn but no way to test it with multimeter . i suggest you borrow one or find a second hand that you will be able to sell if it's not that

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 05:47 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I saw the servo for the exhaustvalve was turning left right left right and so on, when the ignition was on. It was only moving 2-3 mm each way. Could it be the exhaust valve cdi that is broken?

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the servo turn right or left function of the command given by the control unit . the control unit get the info about the engine speed from the CDI unit (wire red/white from the 3 wires connector at the control unit and at the 4 wires connector at CDI) . so it can be either the CDI or the control unit . but the control unit use the 12V from battery after key switch (black wire) so it can be also the switch or the connections with it .
few questions :
- does it bump start
- have you lights working
- what kind of voltage you've got at battery

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm trying to start it, the engine goes around like normal but it dont start. The battery voltage is 12,3-12,5 V. All my lights work except for the winkers. Im missing the rele for it.

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:12 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use the ci 572 on my fox eyes nsr? does it fit straight on? or do I have to change any wires?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually its a TCI ignition, and is inductive type, and works in a similar fashion to points. So there should be a live feed to the coil when the ignition is ON. The box provides power to the coil which and then turns it off which produces the spark. So no power to the box, nowt to the coil.

Find the positive feed to the ignitor, supplly a feed from the battery, and ensure the unit is properly earthed either by chekcing the earth in the loom or provide your own. Try and turn the bike over and hopefully it will work. If no joy, check the connections between the coil and the ignition unit. Usually the TCI box controls the earth of the coil, so u can feed positive direct to the coil and then run a direct earth back to the ignition unit. This will ensure the coil will work at its best.

finally to test the coil provide a positive feed from the battery, and connecting the negative to the frame. put a sparkplug in the HT cap and place it on an earth. Remove the earth connection from the coil and it should spark.

hope this helps and PM if you need more advice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can use a CI572 with an inconvenience : no security on the stand . no wires to change
temeluchus , i didnt catch everything ?????????
this ignition system is AC-CDI fed by 2 coils on the stator and providing 200 Volts AC

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

alains wrote:
yes you can use a CI572 with an inconvenience : no security on the stand . no wires to change
temeluchus , i didnt catch everything ?????????
this ignition system is AC-CDI fed by 2 coils on the stator and providing 200 Volts AC

ah.

Id still check the coil (pos to battery, short earth to ground and release and you should get a spark.)

if that works and there is no obvious breaks, then is either the stator or the ignitor.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me once, i spent ages and ages trying to start the bike i couldn't figure out why it just wouldn't kick over. I had pressed the kill switch. Very Happy

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:33 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 572 cdi that I bougth. And now it works. But how can I find out if i have to change the wires on the cdi. My bike is norwegian I think the chassi number is ZDCJC22BOXF......
Änd the cdi I bought is from England.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

your bike is a 1999 french import . you cross the wires only if you fit a CI626 (your genuine is CI639)

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:04 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey. The cdi that was broken is 626. I better check if they switched the wires. That could be the reason of the broken cdi.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the strange in this case is that it dont break immediatly , you can have it working perfectly for a week
download my file https://www.geneva-racing.ch/~alains/NSRtips.doc and you will see the chart on page 7
but i never heard about a broken CI572 on french bikes

svereballa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:13 - 03 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 572 cdi and it worked. I saw that the wires where ready for the 639 cdi and not 626. So thats probably the reason why the 626 cdi got broken.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've read my file , this wouldnt been happened
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2