Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What to look out for in a Honda Hornet that I may well buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 20 May 2009    Post subject: What to look out for in a Honda Hornet that I may well buy? Reply with quote

Afternoon,

So I'm going to book my licence test to take place in the next week or two, and upon passing (hopefully!) will be looking to sell my NSR and step up to the big boys arena.

Just so happens a friend of mine is selling his Honda Hornet (which I'd pretty much already decided was going to be the next step in evolution). He wants ~£1300 for it with 28k on the clock - is this considered high mileage? It's a W reg (2000?) and he says it's got loads of extras on it - I'll find out exactly what and update when I see it tomorrow, MOT is good until end of November.

So...... what should I be keeping an eye out for when I pop round to take a look at it tomorrow evening? Is that a decent price for said mileage?

Cheers,

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 20 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be a loudish vibrating sound from the clutch, right hand side of the engine cover, in neutral. this is normal.

decent price really.. depends on condition. should be very very good for that money.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've written a buying guide for the hornet somewhere on here, hang on.

EDIT-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=137756&highlight=hornet+buyers+guide

More a review, but it's got what to look out for in there.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 21 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I went to check out the bike tonight.

My oh my does she look a beauty, I can't wait to hit the road on it.

Everything looks fine from what I can gather (bearing in my mind my complete and utter ignorance of spotting faults anyway) but I checked over the MOT documents. The good thing is he;s only done like 100 miles if that since the MOT was done, brand new rear tyre thats done the same.

However, some notes were made on the MOT form that the rear disc brake was worn, as were the front brake pads, as well as something else I can't remember but do remember that I thought at the time that it was no big deal.

How much do you think I;d be looking at to sort those issues at? I'm not really looking to knock him down as he;s doing me a favour by removing any adverts and keeping it on ice for me for the next month or so until I pass my test, but I'd like to know how much cash I need to set by to sort out these issues.

Cheers,

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
OK so I went to check out the bike tonight.

My oh my does she look a beauty, I can't wait to hit the road on it.

Everything looks fine from what I can gather (bearing in my mind my complete and utter ignorance of spotting faults anyway) but I checked over the MOT documents. The good thing is he;s only done like 100 miles if that since the MOT was done, brand new rear tyre thats done the same.

However, some notes were made on the MOT form that the rear disc brake was worn, as were the front brake pads, as well as something else I can't remember but do remember that I thought at the time that it was no big deal.

How much do you think I;d be looking at to sort those issues at? I'm not really looking to knock him down as he;s doing me a favour by removing any adverts and keeping it on ice for me for the next month or so until I pass my test, but I'd like to know how much cash I need to set by to sort out these issues.

Cheers,

GhostRider


Depends at a dealership maybe £300, if you do it yourself alot less.

£40 front pads,
£80 Rear disc
£15 Disc bolts

Ish, you could probably pick up a second hand disc for £20 mind.

They are all fairly easy jobs, but getting the Disc bolts out can turn into an arse. Personally whenever I replace dic bolts I buy expensive Titainium ones as they won;t round and can be reused they make live alot easier later on.

It is worth cleaning up your calipers when you do this so add £15 or so for lube and brake cleaner.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:02 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

doovydoo wrote:
there will be a loudish vibrating sound from the clutch, right hand side of the engine cover, in neutral. this is normal.
...so long as it goes quiet when you pull the clutch in... Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:51 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
doovydoo wrote:
there will be a loudish vibrating sound from the clutch, right hand side of the engine cover, in neutral. this is normal.
...so long as it goes quiet when you pull the clutch in... Thumbs Up


Yes, it's just the clutch basket rumbling, they all do it. When you pull the clutch in the whole lot tightens up and stops doing it.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:42 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
GhostRider wrote:
OK so I went to check out the bike tonight.

My oh my does she look a beauty, I can't wait to hit the road on it.

Everything looks fine from what I can gather (bearing in my mind my complete and utter ignorance of spotting faults anyway) but I checked over the MOT documents. The good thing is he;s only done like 100 miles if that since the MOT was done, brand new rear tyre thats done the same.

However, some notes were made on the MOT form that the rear disc brake was worn, as were the front brake pads, as well as something else I can't remember but do remember that I thought at the time that it was no big deal.

How much do you think I;d be looking at to sort those issues at? I'm not really looking to knock him down as he;s doing me a favour by removing any adverts and keeping it on ice for me for the next month or so until I pass my test, but I'd like to know how much cash I need to set by to sort out these issues.

Cheers,

GhostRider


Depends at a dealership maybe £300, if you do it yourself alot less.

£40 front pads,
£80 Rear disc
£15 Disc bolts

Ish, you could probably pick up a second hand disc for £20 mind.

They are all fairly easy jobs, but getting the Disc bolts out can turn into an arse. Personally whenever I replace dic bolts I buy expensive Titainium ones as they won;t round and can be reused they make live alot easier later on.

It is worth cleaning up your calipers when you do this so add £15 or so for lube and brake cleaner.


Thanks, though the extent of my technical/mechanical capabilities is limited to oil changes and light bulb replacements by and large, so theres no way I'm going to get busy with the brakes, so chances are I'll get the local bike shop to take care of it, though I'll probably supply the parts myself to keep the price as low as possible.

Thanks.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 63.07 Kb