Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Protecting your hearing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Protecting your hearing Reply with quote

Taken from a local forum but figured it's worth a post.

Most motorcyclists understand the effects of a "silent killer" which follows them every time they enjoy riding their bikes. Unfortunately, several people still believe the causes of hearing loss are due to how loud the bike sounds, and/or that it affects only the people who do not wear full shell helmets. This is true to a certain degree.

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise." Generically termed as the amount of noise turbulence produced around the head while the rider is in motion. Its inherited consequences result in irreversible hearing loss damage over a period of time when adequate hearing protection is not worn.

Similar to the shooting and aviation industries, if this issue is not addressed correctly from the beginning the amount of exposure to the inner ear is compounded every time the rider ventures out on his/her bike for hours at a time. Constant duration of harmful level noises gradually force the rider into becoming another statistic of the "silent killer."

To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life.

Another common ailment of motorcycle riding is a condition known as "Temporary Threshold Shift," commonly referred to as TTS by audiologists and hearing healthcare professionals. TTS is caused by excessive noise exposure for a duration of time, which drops your actual acute hearing pattern to a lower level temporarily. Meaning, your hearing is less than what it was before the initial exposure. Continuous TTS exposure will result in permanent damage.

Everyone has experienced this phenomenon at one time or another, whether it is from going to loud dance halls, or concerts, or even work. Even some of today's movie theatres can cause this to happen, but this is a specific certainty for motorcyclists who disregard adequate hearing protection while riding their bike.

Riding position and style of windshield help in preventing "silent killers" ability to fully be experienced. But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds. Obviously, this factor is increased in half shell models as well as skullcaps, but the common helmets used in today's marketplace are designed to fit entirely over the head providing a snug fit. These types of helmets have the best attenuation value (reduction in noise) regardless of any airflow modifications done to the outside. But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day. Not a lot of time to enjoy your hobby.... Is it?

Although there are several versions of hearing protection devices on the market, a custom set of earmolds is still the best answer in suppressing sound. They provide excellent attenuation values and are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They can even be molded with high-grade transducers, which allow for stereo compatibility or communications. To find out more about these products search under our "Product Links" listed on the navigation bar.

We also suggest checking with your local state officials on the regulations of wearing hearing protection. Several states have motorcycle laws regarding earplug use. For a quick reference, see the AMA web pages on State Motorcycle Laws - https://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/road.asp.

There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).
Neither the riding position nor the brand or style of motorcycle make significant difference in noise level.
Padding inside the helmet, open or closed vents, or added weather stripping on the helmet to alter flow patterns, does not significantly alter the noise level in a helmet.
Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB SPL. (Lawn mower, loud restaurant levels)
When not wearing a helmet, the wind noise at highway speed is nearly 10 times greater than when wearing a full coverage helmet.
Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.
Some helmets resonate at approximately 500Hz, and actually enhance wind noise.
Legal speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

https://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss178/Christow1111/motorcycle-graph1.gif

So get some ear plugs NOW Shocked
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARDON?
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muzza wrote:
PARDON?


HE SAID JELLIED EELS PORK CHOW!
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'VE ALREADY GOT TINNITUS AT 22 SO THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT!

Seriously, if i were to go back in time and change something, it would be to wear earplugs from day 1; and probably reduce the amount of time i used to spend in the studio with the volume cranked up!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame, bikes, walkman, loud music and the clip around the ear my mother always gave me.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the many years of ear sex I had as a child
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That post is a blatant in-house press release.

Of course that doesn't make it any less true.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

allymoss wrote:
I blame the many years of ear sex I had as a child


Brings a whole new meaning to Ear Muffs. Shocked
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

While I agree that helmets create a hell of a lot of noise, these 2 points seem to be contradictory.

Quote:
There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).


Quote:
Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.


All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the reviews on the Ultimate Ear website quite useful, the last two are the better ones as they go into some detail.

And since having invested in some of their Squidgy UEP87 I have to say that they're not quite as good as I expected.

I must admit my expectations were high, I had been riding with EAR-FX disposable plugs giving a SNR of 39db, but had experienced problems with my ear bleeding due to an allergic reaction to the material used.

Ultimate Ear claim a SNR of 34db for the UEP, which I thought an acceptable reduction.

However, pros and cons - the disposables are a pig to fit but once in offer good protection, the custom plugs fit easily but I think they move around as I put my helmet on and become unseated, basically rendering them useless.

The key to a good and effective fit is to test whether you can hear your fingers being gently rubbed together once the plugs are in.

When I finally get the disposables in I can't hear a thing, with the custom plugs I'd say 50% of the time I have to re-insert them as I can clearly hear my fingers rubbing together.

I've tried several brands of dispoable plugs, but overall I've found Oxford Moldex plugs offer the best compromise and effective all round use.

They fit easily everytime, offer a SNR of 35db, are good for 10 uses approx. are made of a fairly inert material, but cost around £2 for two pairs.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a similar issue, but opposite. I seem to have pretty small inners ears and really struggle to get the foam ones in. Basically they expand too quickly to get them into the smaller part of my ear. If I do get the in place then they work pretty well, better than the moulded ones. However the rarely stay in place for more than half an hour at best.

The custom ones work pretty consistently. They do seal far better if I have just got out of the bath and my ears are soaking wet, which seems strange.

Only foam ones I have that work well are some that were left on the parcel shelf of the car for ages over summer. These ones work very well and having been baked in the sun seem to take far longer to expand and so I can get them in place. Bought a box of these ones new and they expand too quickly.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

While I agree that helmets create a hell of a lot of noise, these 2 points seem to be contradictory.

Quote:
There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).


Quote:
Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.


All the best

Keith


One would presume once the wind noise had taken over the other noises, but I can see how it confuses.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

I have a similar issue, but opposite. I seem to have pretty small inners ears and really struggle to get the foam ones in. Basically they expand too quickly to get them into the smaller part of my ear. If I do get the in place then they work pretty well, better than the moulded ones. However the rarely stay in place for more than half an hour at best.

The custom ones work pretty consistently. They do seal far better if I have just got out of the bath and my ears are soaking wet, which seems strange.

Only foam ones I have that work well are some that were left on the parcel shelf of the car for ages over summer. These ones work very well and having been baked in the sun seem to take far longer to expand and so I can get them in place. Bought a box of these ones new and they expand too quickly.

All the best

Keith


I have the same issue - tiny ears! I use the disposable foam ones, roll them up - give them a lick and they slide straight in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
One would presume once the wind noise had taken over the other noises, but I can see how it confuses.


It seems to be saying that speed is irrelevant to the noise level, as it helmet model. Their own figures differ for the first, while a UK magazine test a few years back at 100mph found a range of 105db to 120db between the quietest and loudest helmets.

SlimRick - Tried using them wet and it makes no difference. They still expand too quickly within the time it takes to get them from just outside my ear to inside my ear. Looking at the moulded plugs it seems my ear goes down to being about 11mm wide but only 4mm wide in the other direction.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use the oxford plugs mentioned in a post above.
Now if they have SNR of 35db what happens to the other 70+db we are exposed to as bikers?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use EAR classics. They seem to be doing a good job so far.

Unsure whether to go for some custom moulded ones or not.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have custom moulded plugs with a filter in them so I can listen to radios/mp3/satnav.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete1959
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I have custom moulded plugs with a filter in them so I can listen to radios/mp3/satnav.
does that not defeat the object? i sometimes listen to my mp3's on the bike and i have to have it that loud to compensate for wind noise that i gave up using my player on the bike, i don't use any type of ear plugs now.
____________________
No Fear - No Idea
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_15_PSD wrote:
Skudd wrote:
I have custom moulded plugs with a filter in them so I can listen to radios/mp3/satnav.
does that not defeat the object? i sometimes listen to my mp3's on the bike and i have to have it that loud to compensate for wind noise that i gave up using my player on the bike, i don't use any type of ear plugs now.


That's the point of the ear plugs. They block out the background noise so you don't need to turn your MP3 up so loud.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I will say on the matter is well done you lot who took the time to read such a dull, long winded post...I think I read the first 3-4 lines and got bored, and then just looked at the answers Laughing
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

About ten to four. Put the kettle on.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, never used earplugs, never will. Done mega miles at fast paces with noisy helmets with no effects, not even a hint of ringing in the ears.

I like to what's going on, I dunno, I'd feel a bit vulnerable knowing my hearing is impaired by plugs.

Anyway no ill effects here from ears of riding - Frick, I think the last concert I went to has done more damage alone than all the hours spent on bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
I'VE ALREADY GOT TINNITUS AT 22 SO THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT!


Noooo! It's not irrelevant, it won't stop it, but surely it will delay the effects? My Dad has tinnitus severely now as he was a Trainer on a Range in his army days and they didn't wear any protective gear back then. He has a really miserable time with it and it's terrible to see him. He can't listen to the music he loves and even the TV is a problem without his headphones on. Personally, I think the only benefit is he can't hear Mum nagging at him!!

I've only ever worn the disposable foam ones and sometimes I can't get them to fit properly - same problem as Kickstart. I was considering the made to measure ones, but interested in the comments by LeeR. Funnily enough I was given some foam freebies at the BikeSafe and they are really good, so I might have to find out what they were.
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get some Heartech Silentear reusable plugs as I read some good things about them. Anyone happen to have used them?
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.51 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 146.55 Kb