Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Yesterday/today...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Yesterday/today... Reply with quote

I managed (just about) to successfully complete the national 3 peaks challenge. For those of you that don't know it is basically climbing the tallest mountain of Scotland, England and Wales within 24 hours.

There were 5 of us and only I and my mate were the only people to succeed without whinging of chafing or being too tired, the other 3 decided to stay down for the final ascent. I've now not slept for night on 36 hours and am starting to feel it, especially as I was driving half of the time.

Did it in 23 hours 42 minutes which isn't really that good, but after Ben Nevis our first ascent, I seriously thought we weren't going to do it as a couple of our guys kept falling behind severely struggling, or being sick due to exersion.

However, despite this I am extremely happy and I would recommend it to anyone who fancies a challenge. Probably couldn't have had more perfect weather to be honest, it has been amazing. Started the ascent of Ben Nevis yesterday at 6am, began scafell pike just before dawn at 5pm and then began the final climb up Snowdon at 2am. Even though this is meant to be an "easy" climb when it is so dark and with just a headtorch, map and compass it was still quite easy to get lost.

Anyway thought I would share a few pics, forget the criticisms of the exposure or anything, it is a relatively cheap camera. Smile

Ben Nevis, looking over towards Fort William...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/JonBod/006.jpg

The view from Scafell Pike across Wasdale lake...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/JonBod/016.jpg

The view from Snowdon...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/JonBod/026.jpg
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic. Thumbs Up

Although I'm probably fit enough i'd fail purely on the fact that you have to use maps/compass in the dark, all far too ray mears for my liking! Laughing
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed the 3 peaks in 27-28 hours.

We were 15/16 years old and had a long kip before taking on Snowdon the 'following' morning.

Damn good fun but don't remember too much of it now.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour and I are making our attempt in the Summer... will let you know our time - but now we have something to beat, well Wink

Well done Jon! Congratulations Dance!
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice that looks damn good! You where right you couldn't of asked for better weather. I couldn't see 10m when I was on the top of scar fell and twisted my ankle as when went down.

I always forgot how much I enjoy mountain scenery being stuck in a city during term time.


Well done Clapping
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which way up snowdon? I have to agree, it's an easy hill in the day but do it in the night and it's a daunting task.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to take the Pyg route, however for some reason we chose to take the miners route which turned out to be a complete shocker in the dark. The steps weren't very clear and with only minimal light from our headtorches, it was difficult to make progress.

Quote:
i'd fail purely on the fact that you have to use maps/compass in the dark, all far too ray mears for my liking!


I took a map for every route, but didn't particularly pay any attention to them. Ben Nevis is a route you really can't get wrong as the tourist route is well trodden, Scafell Pike has an obvious route, provided you fork right at the water crossing and then fork left at the top, so as to not climb Scafell. As for Snowdon, if done during the day plenty of the routes are highly visible.

I'm sure a map and compass only becomes necessary in poor weather.

If I could recommend any piece of equipment for the trip it would have to be trekking poles, made life much easier, especially on Ben Nevis. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Was going to take the Pyg route, however for some reason we chose to take the miners route which turned out to be a complete shocker in the dark. The steps weren't very clear and with only minimal light from our headtorches, it was difficult to make progress.


I'd imagine the scree was a bit of a pig when you got there... the first bit's quite flat and easy - I think we decided the fastest route for us to do it will be up the Pyg (starting with a reasonable climb with the flat middle section to recover for the final push to the summit) then down the Miner's, hopefully in the summer it will be starting to get light when descending the scree, then with a nice flat section we can run and feel like we're going really fast Wink ) for the very last bit of the whole challenge.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant - top effort there.

Can't see the pics whilst at work, will check back later.

We did the miner's path on the way up a couple of months back, then back down the gentle side following the railway on the way back - wish we'd have done something more challenging as it's a touch boring that way!!

Did Scafell Pike a couple of years ago but didn't make the top as the winds got up to 70mph+ with driving rain, had to turn back. Will go back and do it one day.

Ben Nevis - maybe next year.

All 3 in less than 24 hours? No thanks - you mentalist Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool idea. Nice one. Thumbs Up
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alabama Blacksnake
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 01 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.

I've been to the top of snowdon when it was pissing it down, that view looks amazing. The view from the other to looks ace.

Cheers Tom
____________________
Bikes i've owned: mobylette ----- Ts 50er ------ GS 400e ------ CB250n superdream ------r6 ------ bandit 400 ----- 2005 kx 125
Bikes i have:dtr125 field bike that doesnt not seem to die!!! 1992 gsxr 750 Very Happy
trevoriv said: Leathers are like teenage girls, the tighter the better.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:45 - 02 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
I'd imagine the scree was a bit of a pig when you got there... the first bit's quite flat and easy - I think we decided the fastest route for us to do it will be up the Pyg (starting with a reasonable climb with the flat middle section to recover for the final push to the summit) then down the Miner's, hopefully in the summer it will be starting to get light when descending the scree, then with a nice flat section we can run and feel like we're going really fast Wink ) for the very last bit of the whole challenge.

Heh, when we were pacing it along the miners path on the way to the summit, we thought it would be a good idea to run back towards the car park at Pen-y-Pass, however my knees and feet took such a battering from coming back down from the scree that the best I could muster was a brisk walking pace back to the carpark.

Though when we were falling behind slightly at Ben Nevis due to one mate puking a quarter of the way up and then continuously waiting for someone who could have moaned for England, me and my mate did jog the last mile or so down the hill. Though I did slip and one point and was probably lucky not to break my wrist!

I think the underlying notion I have to advise people if they are considering doing this is basically to not underestimate the task ahead. Fitness is essential, as is the state of mind to prepare yourself for the task. Luckily I have been training for a few 10k races that are coming up so I am at probably my fittest ever right now, my resting heart rate is only 38bpm at the moment! Laughing

I'm definately going to give it another shot next year, will just make sure that I accompany myself with people who actually have an interest in mountain climbing and are fit enough. I reckon you could easily do the 3 peaks in about 20-21 hours (traffic permitting). Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 02 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to get lost?

It's a mountain, you just keep going up Razz
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 02 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 02 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victory stretch... I'm on left. Very Happy

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/JonBod/n501874980_479529_2423242.jpg
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 02 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my resting heart rate is only 38bpm at the moment!


Now i'm depressed, I just measured mine at 71, very odd considering I do quite an active job.

Nice achievement Thumbs Up

I've done my time charging across hills, I wouldn't ever do it for fun at more than a gentle bimble. Laughing
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:30 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have semi-decided that next year I will do this challenge again, but instead of driving between mountains, I think I will cycle. Smile I think I may well regret making this decision. Laughing
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

really want to do this with my uni next year
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.61 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 105.34 Kb