Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


TV Tuner and Linux netbook

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

pikestar
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 03 Jun 2009    Post subject: TV Tuner and Linux netbook Reply with quote

Has anyone used a TV Tuner with a linux netbook as I have an aspire one with linux and wanted to know if anybody has a tv tuner working with it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 03 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy to find, but here ya go:

https://tinyurl.com/p783s5
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pikestar
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cheers for that Rolling Eyes

Was after somebodies actual experience rather than a badly translated Swedish page on opening up my net book, and other random pages that just happen to have 5 specific words some where in them or their meta data.

Tell you what next time how about just don't bother
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told that a patched 2.6.28.4 kernel will support the PS3 PlayTV tuner thing.
The PlayTV wikipedia page has all the relevant links.
I've never bothered trying it, though, because I have a TV.

MythTV isn't all that great, though: I found it to be a bit unintuitive to set up, and I can't really say that I'm all that bothered about TV on the laptop anyway.

Here's one guy's experience of dong it on an Aspire One (I got the Dell mini 9 instead).

While Bazza was most definitely being a smartarse, it's worth mentioning that you'll have more success when looking on a more specialised forum for this kind of thing. I'll happily help as much as I can, though.

On a side note, are you acquainted with the process of compiling a kernel? If not, I can walk you through it, as it's most likely that you'll have to do it when it comes to trying to get TV tuner support on your netbook.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.15 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 40.5 Kb