Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My bike skills have hit a brick wall...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: My bike skills have hit a brick wall... Reply with quote

...literally. Laughing

Was out on a 200 mile hoon yesterday, through the backroads of Braemar, Balmoral sort of area. Found the most twisty and hilly of twisty roads, I'm sure some from the Scotchland section know them well. Well, I didn't.
Was haring round some corners beyond my abilities and pulling them off, but then got to a sharp right angled corner, thought it didn't look so sharp, leaned, realised I wasn't far enough over, leaned some more, shat pants, hit a wall side on at ~50mph, catapulted back onto road.
I got off the bike to inspect the damage, some old feller on a cruiser stopped and asked if I was ok. Then I looked down and saw it. THE GUSHING. My clutch casing had completely decimated, spilling precious oil over the pavement.
Old dude points at foot "Are you OK mate?"
Looked down and the casing had pierced my boot. Laughing Miraculously it only skuffed my toe and I was fine. Protectors on the boot were worn down quite a bit.

Anyhoo, the RAC value their members and only took 4 hours to come and recover my bike. Thumbs up to the people of Bridge of Cally Post Office for use of their phone, as Three have no reception down there, and the manager of the Bridge of Cally hotel, whom I had a laugh with until my girlfriend came 100 miles to recover me with an angry face.

The bike's in Perth now, about 80 miles away from me Crying or Very sad
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, all i can say is glad you're ok, could have been worse.
____________________
TL1000r-handful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome roads there fella, and bits of it miles away from anything so you are lucky in several ways.
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're ok... only advice i have is... 'lean that fucker over' easier said than done i know but it has to be done.
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww sounds nasty mate but glad you're ok.
How far out of Bridge of Cally did it happen? I think I can picture the wall you hit, it's one of my most regular roads Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a case of 'you live and learn' Shocked

Glad you're ok and managed to laugh it off, even if your girlfriend didn't - she was probably just relieved not to be picking you out of the wall in bits, but showed it in a strange girly-way Rolling Eyes

Careful next time and hope the bike's feeling better soon too Thumbs Up
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thought it didn't look so sharp, leaned, realised I wasn't far enough over, leaned some more, shat pants,


At first I read that as 'thought it didn't look so sharp, laughed, realised I wasn't far enough over, laughed some more, shat pants,'

In my defence, you generally seem to be quite a jolly chap, so.... Very Happy

Anyway, glad you're ok, and hope the damage isn't too bad!
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Thumbs Up

valver wrote:
Awww sounds nasty mate but glad you're ok.
How far out of Bridge of Cally did it happen? I think I can picture the wall you hit, it's one of my most regular roads Shocked


Just the top of the hill leading down to post office. Think this google shows it. No street view though. Slightly less than a right angle so even more embarrassing Laughing The chap at the post office says people are always hitting walls there. Just bamboozled that the only contact point on my bike was the clutch casing, made of cheap triumph plastic Sad As far as accidents go it was pretty funny, just wish my bike would've been rideable afterwards.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody ell, that's not where I expected it to be at all. You must have been flying to hit that wall, I take it you braked to 50mph?
Anyway, sounds like an easy fix. Is it getting done for you at a garage or are you looking for a new cover yourself?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least your ok!!!

Since downloading and printing a PDF TT600/Speed Four service manual I have found jobs on the bike much easier and seem to be able to start and finish them now!!

Free Download

A great way to get to know your bike better and will save a lot of money compared to a garage!
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you kept leaning you would of been alright!

but then you musta been going at a good speed to need to lean that much on a corner like that

glad it was only the casing damaged- not a hard or expensive fix Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I was going too fast, I tend to stay about 75ish or less on roads I don't know. Maybe it was target fixation or maybe I'm just rank at cornering Embarassed Laughing
Regardless I really should take some course on cornering at speed or keep it easy until I have more experience. Quite bad having to admit to you lot I can't corner for shit. Laughing

I already downloaded that manual, but I got frustrated as it was scanned in so couldn't search for stuff. Would've done the job myself, but my RAC cover didn't cover taking the bike home without charge, so sent it to get done at Perth motorcycles.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suitor_Stu
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, I think we've all been in that situation before though - just you were a bit more unlucky than most would have been. That road from Blairgowrie through to Glenshee is absolutely stonking though - proper roller-coaster style bends with banks, dips and braes. It's one of the only roads that I don't get folk overtaking me on too! Having said that, if you're unfamilliar with it it's all too easy to find yourself underbreaking for some of the downhill corners - there are a few which tighten up. Glad you're Okay though, and like Mr. Nice Guy said, was kinda lucky to happen there - not much else around that area! Oh and you shouldn't have any problems with Perth MC's - heard nothing but praise for them on their services.

On another note, I was up in Aviemore at the weekend but instead of taking the A9 decided to go that route instead. Added nearly an hour to my journey, but it was well worth it! That bit where you go over the Lecht is pure lunar landscape - although with all of the 20%/1 in 5 hills to contend with (whist being laiden for camping trip) the old girl started to overheat a touch. Still, gave me time to gather my thoughts so that I could concentrate on avoiding the suicidal deer/sheep/rabbits/pheasants (seriously, if I was less careful I could have eaten like a king with the roadkill!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suitor_Stu wrote:
Oh and you shouldn't have any problems with Perth MC's - heard nothing but praise for them on their services.



You've not heard much then, fucking cowboys.
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your ok m8ty Thumbs Up
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Darth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:08 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are back on the road soon - with new boots! Very Happy
____________________
Harold_Shand wrote: I suppose it's like anything, you get your fingers burned when you start out, you learn from it and eventually become a complete arsehole about the whole thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:27 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will hopefully have the bike back soonish. As for boots, I'll have to wait until I can afford another pair, and ride around in a scuffed, pierced boot until then. Laughing Shhh!
Wish I'd gone back and inspected the wall, there is bound to be a Muzz shaped dent in it, along with a small fragment of my ego.

For anyone considering joining RAC: In continuation of my disgruntledness at the RAC, I will add that they told me it would be an hour till someone got to me, then I phoned back 1 and a half hours later to be told that it'd be another 2 till they sent a contractor out. Also, never get only roadside assistance. There's never a motorcycle garage within 10 miles, so you will pay something. I am upgrading to nationwide recovery, then rejoining the AA when it runs out. On a plus side, they did say (at the same time as informing me of the delay) that I can get 15 quid of food at the hotel and send them the receipts. (I just hope a small sandwich and 4 tennents counts as food)
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 0.18 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 102.95 Kb