Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Carb cleaning/servicing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 05 Jul 2009    Post subject: Carb cleaning/servicing Reply with quote

As it seems my carbs are gunged up and giving me grief, and the usual fuel additive 'solution' has failed, I think I'm in for a fun day stripping them down (or attempting it and getting lots of petrol in my eyes).

Anyway, what do I need? Obviously the usual spanners and such, but what to clean it with? What do I need to replace? What do I need to check?

Haynes is useful and all, but it seems to want you to replace everything and blow stuff out with compressed air etc etc etc. Whats the real way to do things?

This is for a '96 inline 4 600 by the way. Oh, and I only have one day to do it in (commuting fun).
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 05 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what gaskets do I want to be replacing?

I can't seem to find gasket kits, so could do with knowing which ones as I'll be ordering them piece-meal from Honda, and that's never cheap Crying or Very sad
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 05 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the carbs off the bike, and strip them down. Make a note of what goes where, they're surprisingly complicated!

Then get carb cleaner and clean everything once it's stripped.

No gaskets that I can think of.

Edit: Been corrected. Thumbs Up
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.


Last edited by Chriss on 19:38 - 05 Jul 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
Then get brake cleaner or carb cleaner (same stuff) and clean everything once it's stripped.


They're not the same. Carb cleaner is stronger and leaves a residue behind unlike brake cleaner which evaporates in seconds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just take the camera out there and take pictures occasionally.

Is there anything cheaper to use to clean? I recall coke being highly touted.

Is there anything I need to be careful to avoid fucking about with, eg needles etc? I don't want to clean the crap out, but leave it running rich etc and have to go back in.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this task on my carbs for the SRAD. You are correct that the gaskets will not be cheap - and there are other small o rings kicking about in there.

I used carb cleaner on mine, used just over one big tin for all four. It is not that difficult, just time consuming - I reckon it's at least 45min per carb including stripdown. Then add in the time for the removal and refit.

I was recommended to buy some micro drill bits to run through the jets and get rid of the crud in there too.

So yes, not too bad a job, especially if I can do it with zero problems.

Now, after that, for the important part of the post.

When I did it, it made no difference whatsoever to the bike. Certainly the running problem which I hoped it would cure was unchanged. That was diagnosed when I finally admitted defeat and took it to a garage. Nothing to do with the cleanliness of the carbs.

But the REALLY important part is that Sickpup has stated that he has never needed to clean a set of carbs on a bike which is regularly used in his entire career.

IIRC he went on to state that you only need to clean your carbs if the bike has been standing for a long period of time, and that the cleaning of carbs in an attempt to fix a running problem is pointless, and the result of a lack of correct diagnosis.

I don't recall a time when Sickpup has been wrong about these sort of things, so I would have a rethink if I were you.

If it is still running poorly, I would suggest you pay a mechanic to have a look at it and diagnose the issue. Should only be an hour or so's labour - which you will probably spend on the gaskets and cleaners, plus your time.

I understand that you want to fix this stuff yourself, but sometimes it is better (and cheaper in the long run) to turn to the pros if you don't know what your fixing.

Like when I buggered up the rebuild of my caliper!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:


I understand that you want to fix this stuff yourself, but sometimes it is better (and cheaper in the long run) to turn to the pros if you don't know what your fixing.


Good post Thumbs Up

If it wasn't for cylinder 3's plug looking abit funny, I wouldn't be interested in doing it.

I was tempted to get a mech to diagnose it, but I've had some serious ballache with that in the past ('yeh geez, it's definitely your alternator'... 1 week later having replaced it 'Oh it wasn't? Well I said it might be').

I think I might just pour some redex down the trumpets and give that a go for the moment. /Really/ don't want to get too embroiled, but as it's my single transport I'm damned either way.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bofh5
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank f*ck you posted this Thumbs Up
i was thinking the same thing and about to go diving in head first which as a use the bike to commute had me breaking out in a cold sweat !
thats great info from sickpup and i too will go buy a bottle of redex and dump it down the trumpets Smile
anyone know how long to leave redex in there for ? will it do any damage if left for too long etc ?
thanks
sorry for hijacking your thread bonny
____________________
(L)users...Disk space is to good for them.

Bikes: Honda 50 / CB125-TDC / 93 CBR600 F2 (Stolen & Trashed) / 2001 SP-1 (Sold) / 95 CBR600 F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with redex..it wont do sweet FA for you it's for older cars that used to sometimes suffer sludge build up. On a bike ALWAYS strip them get the jets out and blast it with carb cleaner and an airline if you can. The deposits you'll get in the float bowls and jets will not be budged by redex at all.

The only time I'd say a good time to try these one shot wonders is injector cleaner if you have an injected bike thats been left for 3 years or more....carbs just get in there and do it by hand!!
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I agree it's not all that spanky. However it seems to, at the least, be changing the fuel octane a bit or something, so it's less irritatingly wank then yesterday (after the previous redex had been diluted out by extra fuel). Which to me seems to really indicate the carbs.

As for the whole 'constantly used bike never having them', that may be true, but mine has been left standing for several months at a time (without draining the bowls Doh!) since I've owned it. Plus it got knocked off it's stand recently and seemed to run better, which could mean stuff was dislodged Thinking

What can you use instead of air compressors? Air dusters? I've tried one before for the air filter and wasn't all that impressed (despite ravings on here).

And again, O-rings/gaskets etc? Just I need to order them before work if I want them for Weds (to fit them).
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:

I was recommended to buy some micro drill bits to run through the jets and get rid of the crud in there too.

This sounds like bad advice. If you can't clean the jets with thinners or whatever chemical solution you choose I'd recommend buying new jets not buying drill bits.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:


Oh, and what gaskets do I want to be replacing?



I'd suggest ALL of em, and replace the float valve and needle assembly.

Depending on the model of carb, the float valve will be removable-i've encountered Keihins with and without removable asseblies. Id replace the needle regardless.

Wemoto keep the float needles in and are probably cheaper than honda.

Do one carb at a time to avoid mixing up gubbins from each carbie, and take care to note where each part came from. There is nothing too scary in em. Take care not to pinch or tear the diaphragms on the slides and bare in mind they go in a particular way (there will most likely be a little tab on the diaphragm and on the top of the carb-be obvious when you see it) Dont be too overkeen tightening stuff down.



ms51ves3 wrote:

They're not the same. Carb cleaner is stronger and leaves a residue behind unlike brake cleaner which evaporates in seconds.


Where did you hear that from?

Carb cleaner is a pretty much the same and leaves no residue.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
I'd suggest ALL of em, and replace the float valve and needle assembly.


See, now here we have a small problem. I don't know how much the O-rings are, but I know the float valves are 10 quid a pop.

Chucking 40 quid down seems highly over the top to be careful. Plus, replacing the needle assmbly means getting it all set up again surely? And mine has been dynojetted etc, so thats even more money down Thinking
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well well..what a load of advice your getting here!!! If the float valves don't leak...don't change them and as for gaskets you hardly ever NEED to change them so long as they don't break up taking the float bowls off..and on the CBR's they usually play ball ok. Carb and brake fluid are totally different fluids. Brake cleaner will not budge carb build up anywhere near as well as carb cleaner. Even in my ultrasound cleaner it wont touch it. As for the compressor question it's just easier to blow through air ways etc to give them a good blast of air but you can always blow through them yourself to check that they are not blocked. Just remember to keep all the jets needles and emulsion tubes from each carb grouped together so they can go back in the same carb body Wink
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are a fiver at wemoto Wink Dont waste your money paying honda for their markup for the same needles.

FLOAT needle not jet needle.

Float needle controls the fuel going into the float bowl. As i had to repeatedly scream in your other thead, this is likely the cause of your problem as they are easily damaged by dirt. Ignore the garbage people were talking about settings and jetting-this is purely a dirt/wear issue.

Leaving the worn ones in is a false economy-its the kind of thing that will leave you stranded on the side of the motorway with a dead bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 06 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

few pics to make things clearer-not your exact model but should be pretty much the same:

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/earlwb/Scooter%20Carb/Carb_Float_bowl_Jets.jpg

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/earlwb/Scooter%20Carb/Carb_Float_Bowl_Parts.jpg

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/earlwb/Scooter%20Carb/CarbFloatParts.jpg

Float inlet valve is also called the float needle and a few other names depending on manufacturer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:


FLOAT needle not jet needle.

Float needle controls the fuel going into the float bowl. As i had to repeatedly scream in your other thead, this is likely the cause of your problem as they are easily damaged by dirt.



Aye, it's what I'm (perversely) hoping to find.

Quote:

Ignore the garbage people were talking about settings and jetting-this is purely a dirt/wear issue.



Yes I know, but what I don't want to do is take it all the pieces and accidentally knock bits of it out of sync. Or does everything just slot in fully and thats it (ie I have different needle sizes alone, not adjusted needle positions and sizes).

Quote:


Leaving the worn ones in is a false economy-its the kind of thing that will leave you stranded on the side of the motorway with a dead bike.


True, but taking it to pieces to check how many I need leaves my bike out of action while I wait for parts to turn up (And the time to sort it out). Which would be 6 days, at 10 quid a day extra for travel, and an extra 2 hours+ per day. So naturally I'm loathe to do that.

At 5 quid a pop I may be more interested, but it's still a 'waste' of 20 quid if the originals turn out to be pristine.

Classis catch 22. Is wemoto cheap/fast for delivery? If I ordered one needle is there any danger I'd have it by next day without getting stung too much?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest can I ask what bike that carb in the pic is off? Good example but just seems rather small?
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are quick.

Id say leave the bike alone for now and order the 4 needles. If they are original they WILL be worn by now-its a matter of when they fail not if. They are service items not permanent parts.

Id say that you should replace these before you think about anything else.

so four float needles and a can of carb cleaner (so around 25 quid in total) is worth it, especially as you say you use the bike to commute? Why skimp if you rely on the bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you go out buying 4 new float valves was number 3 carb over flowing? i.e. leaking fuel out of the breather pipe? if not it's not the problem
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
Why skimp if you rely on the bike.


Because I only have to commute for another month or so Wink

To a job I hate, to save money for going travelling. And now you see the dilemma Wink

I think you may be right, if someone else agrees that needle valves are service items I'll buy the 4. At least that will motivate me to get in there. Well, if I can buy them from wemoto at a fiver a pop
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
before you go out buying 4 new float valves was number 3 carb over flowing? i.e. leaking fuel out of the breather pipe? if not it's not the problem


I had noticed a slight smell of 'fresh' petrol occasionally after pulling up recently. Hadn't really had the chance to have a proper peak up the old girls skirt yet, and don't fancy checking with a lighter... Thinking

How much would it be leaking? Enough to just smell, or would it be leaving fairly notable pools?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually enough to leave a fair puddle under the bike of say 6 inches plus depending on how bad it was leaking...but a fair amount when idle. if your tap has a prime position put it on that and see what happens in 10 mins or so!!
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:10 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your CBR you will most likely not get a big puddle even if it has gone because youll have a vacuum fuel tap that shuts off the fuel when the engine isnt running, plus a fuel pump in the way. As bladreunner states, if you leave your tap on prime, youll most likely get fuel coming out of the overflow and a puddle. which will be coming from the carb with a goosed float needle. I wouldnt advise this as you could end up hydro locking the cylinder and bending a conrod when you try and start the bike.

I've had the same problem on quite a few of my bikes. It all comes down to age and wear. Any old bike (ie over a few years old) will accumulate crap in the fuel tank, be it dust, rust, dirt etc. This will eventually find its way into the carbs and cause trouble. Redex actually can cause trouble as it shifts crap from your tank into....... your carburettor float bowls. I bet you will have quite a layer of crud in the bottom of the float bowls when you take them off.

If you are so desperate to save twenty quid then try just draining the float bowl of the offending carburettor. Maybe that will shift the crap holding the valve open. But then it may not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 07 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
I wouldnt advise this as you could end up hydro locking the cylinder

Temeluchus, would you mind explaining this hydrolock thing in a bit more detail, please?

I don't really understand how or why it happens, and as I've had some carb problems recently, I want to make absolutely sure I don't make that mistake, especially if it can end up doing so much damage.

Cheers!
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.25 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 144.78 Kb