Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Waterproof Boots

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

SuperFurrySam
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Waterproof Boots Reply with quote

https://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/30/26/27f7_1.JPG

I recently purchased a pair of these Akito Miami boots, as I didn't want a large boot - just a decent pair to cover my ankles and keep my feet dry.


They're nice boots, but how anyone can call them "waterproof" I'll never know.

10 minutes of being on wet roads, not even in heavy rain - but just a wet road surface and my toes start to get wet. 20 minutes and my feet are soaked. I assume it's getting in at the tip of the boot between the leather and the sole and I've tried using a couple different polishes to see if that helps but it doesn't.

Every time I've gone out in the wet, my feet have ended up wet - which is annoying as hell, especially when I know I'm going to have soaking wet feet in work.


Unfortunately, after buying these boots we had 4 weeks of nice weather - so it's only recently I've found out how bad they are in the wet - presumably too late to get a refund or exchange.

Just curious as to whether or not this is a common fault with many allegedly "waterproof" boots?

I mean I live in Wales, and have so far only endured a few light summer showers. In the winter these boots aren't going to stand a chance so I think I'll have to think about getting rid of these and finding a decent pair of waterproof boots.

Any recommendations?

I'm not really after a full size boot, something a similar size to these Akito ones would be nice. Can't really spend much over £60.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic baga over the boots/inside the boots. Job done Thumbs Up
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SuperFurrySam
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:
Plastic bag inside the boots.


I'll give that one a go next time it rains, still would be nice if they could just make the boots waterproof - can't be that difficult.

I might actually get a bit of clear silicone and go over the stitching with it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of "waterproof" windproof blah blah boots from my local Hein Gericke, they're very good, keep my feet bone dry.. think they were £60-£80 made by Bullson or something similar, just plain black in design, go over your ankle a little bit, very comfy and snug fit.. also isnt too hard to walk in them Very Happy


Heres the badgers.. sorry if im not supposed to link anything Smile

https://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/3_138/products_id/3981
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

early_911
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 29 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some RST boots for riding in the wet . . . work okay for me. On offer have:

https://www.motocrossmotorbikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s36p758

Phil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bigbikebook.com/ProductImages/fullsize/498.jpg

Spada thunder touring boots, waterproof (tested- took my test in them... 10 mins in, a torrential downpour ensued... feet stayed dry), windproof, comfy on and off the bike,

10/10 from me
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If they were advertised as waterproof and there not take them back, 4 weeks is not a long time. I have hein gericke gtx boots i think they are called and the 1st pair had the leather cracking on the side panels, took them back and they exchanged them without any problems and they were about 3 month old. Ive had the replacements on every day for 4 months now and they are warm and waterproof in all weathers. They are gortex boots but i still polish the leather with shoe polish cause i like shiny boots. This is them but they were £30 cheaper when i bought them.

https://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/3_138/products_id/3937

Mark
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650


Last edited by Mark65 on 15:37 - 13 Jul 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvectusIncurro wrote:


Spada thunder touring boots, waterproof (tested- took my test in them... 10 mins in, a torrential downpour ensued... feet stayed dry), windproof, comfy on and off the bike,

10/10 from me


I have the same boots as these and again found them great for the first 6 months-year of continuous commuting. But then the seem between upper and sole started coming apart and now they leak in downpours, otherwise they come well recommended - only cost me about £50 too. Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 13 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you cleaned them, or treated them.

I have a pair of Sidi boots with gortex lining and it clearly states not to use polish or any treatment on the leather whic hwill block its ability to breath. As in doing so you stop the gortex from working properly.
All i ever do with mine is give them a quick wash over with some soapy water and rinse under tap. Thats been done about 3 times in 2+ years.


Are you sure its not just water running down inside them, if you have any gaps between trousers and boots....
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:54 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rinse any muck off when dirty and give them a coat of kiwi shoe polish, there leather after all. My boots or the shop didnt say not too polish them, and they are fine, you could try a nikwax solution for leather. On my meindle walking boots they are expensive high quality leather gortex boots and they recommend nikwax or the equivelent to protect the leather so i treat my bike boots the same.

Mark
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you know the weather is gonna be cold and wet, a pair of waterproof "fishing socks" can be in order. I have a pair of Ron Thomson ones Thumbs Up
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr rip
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have to be bike boots? if your after a good, sturdy, & waterproof pair of boots just go down your local army surplus store & get some para boots

pro boots are gortex lined but tend to be a bit dear

my favourites are the quilted german boots, I recentley road from brum to london in a bad downpour & my feet were the only part of me that were still dry when I got there

alternatively you can also pick up gortex socks from army surplus stores
____________________
never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, then when the muck hits the fan you'll be a mile away & you'll have his shoes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:15 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably be useless to you as it's not what you asked for and they are double the price, but the best pair of boots I have had are Alpine Stars SMX4's Fully water proof and have been for the year and a half I have had them. Set me back £140. They are brilliant aside from the soles going through. have been told I can buy soles for £12 from A* though.

https://www.ajbike.fi/imagemagic.php?img=images/webkuvat/AJOVARUSTEET/KENGAT/KATU/ALPINESTARS/22430710.jpg
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SuperFurrySam
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Are you sure its not just water running down inside them, if you have any gaps between trousers and boots....



Certain, it's getting in at the tip of the boot - that's the only part that really gets wet inside.

I have e-mailed the shop I purchased these Akito boots from, so I'll see what they respond with. Thanks for all the tips though - those Spada Thunder boots do seem like the best bet for me. I can afford them and my mate has the exact same pair and says they're great boots.


I can't really see myself getting a refund though - I've asked for an exchange - if they send me a new pair of Akito Miami boots I might just sell them on eBay myself for a little bit less and put the money towards those Spada's instead.

Oh and thanks kwaker too - I'll invest in a pair of decent socks for the really wet stuff! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SuperFurrySam
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr rip wrote:
my favourites are the quilted german boots, I recentley road from brum to london in a bad downpour & my feet were the only part of me that were still dry when I got there


https://www.premiersurplus.co.uk/more/on/details/0398

Those ones?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr rip
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFurrySam wrote:
mr rip wrote:
my favourites are the quilted german boots, I recentley road from brum to london in a bad downpour & my feet were the only part of me that were still dry when I got there


https://www.premiersurplus.co.uk/more/on/details/0398

Those ones?


them's the puppies,

I wear them all the time, not just on my bike

a lot of bike boots aren't very good for walking in, so if you ride some where & want to walk round, you either get crippled or have to take something to change into, not so with these
____________________
never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, then when the muck hits the fan you'll be a mile away & you'll have his shoes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr rip wrote:

my favourites are the quilted german boots, I recentley road from brum to london in a bad downpour & my feet were the only part of me that were still dry when I got there


+1 for german para boots, as per my comments in this thread.

Mudskipper wrote:

They are also stunningly waterproof. I got caught riding in pissing rain wearing just combats, an old leather and the german para boots. Every inch of me was soaked to the skin, with the exception of my feet and ankles which were bone dry and cosy. Thumbs Up

____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Dubbin or Nikwax wax just smudge it between the sole and upper of your boots with your thumb.

I had a similar problem with my first pair of boots (Sidi Black Rain) they were a nice boot and fairly waterproof except when riding on the motorway for long stints with lots of standing water/spray.

My toes used to get wet but I found after applying Nikwax/Dubbin before setting off that I'd at least arrive at work dry.

Eventually though the boots had to be replaced (Sidi Mega-Gore) Thumbs Up
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr rip
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are worth a look too,

they cost more than the german ones & they're a bit stiffer, especially when new but they are definitely waterproof, & they're pretty comfy once they've been broken in

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-footwear/army-boots-shoes/new-genuine-british-military-234460.html
____________________
never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, then when the muck hits the fan you'll be a mile away & you'll have his shoes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Army surplus waterproof inners (approx £8), and a pair of Goretex waterproof/sweat-proof socks (which incidentally are the bees knees), I got those from Millets for something silly like £24.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 345 days between these two posts...

John Wilson
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 11 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good. Army waterproof boots are so good to use and it will comfortable and get it in cheap price.
____________________
Army Surplus
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 116.5 Kb