Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Where to get affordable clutch kit for 1984 Yamaha FJ1100?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:34 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Where to get affordable clutch kit for 1984 Yamaha FJ1100? Reply with quote

Having a hard time finding a affordable clutch pack for my bike. Would like to find the conversion kit for the springs also. Any help would be appriciated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:06 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the FJ Owners club, they sell lots of stuff?
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know there was a FJ club, where do I goto to find it? Thanks again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

b-f-c
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be a little pricey on some items and you need to be a member first before buying.

https://fjclub.co.uk/

Also try Wemoto & CMS
https://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=2148007
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fj1100_model16733/

Very good forum though Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth joining. When I had a mysterious ignition failure on my FJ1200 I was able to post my CDI to the club and they just plugged it into a working bike and confirmed it was fine. It was posted straight back to me. They also do cheap servicing for FJs and FJRs.

My fault turned out to be in an internal part of the wiring loom, actually at a point that was almost exactly pointed out by Phil Hacker who ran the club then.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!! I'm going to join the fj group. \
Maybe someone can answer me this....the problem is when I let the clutch out to take off my bike shakes like I'm not giving it enough gas, and it does it everytime. I've even tried it in 2nd and it still shakes. It's really more annoying then anything, just something I would like to figure out and fix. Thanks again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastmanstandin wrote:
Thanks again!! I'm going to join the fj group. \
Maybe someone can answer me this....the problem is when I let the clutch out to take off my bike shakes like I'm not giving it enough gas, and it does it everytime. I've even tried it in 2nd and it still shakes. It's really more annoying then anything, just something I would like to figure out and fix. Thanks again.
You could try bleeding the clutch.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to grab my manual and try to bleed it right now! Tanks again!! This is my 2nd bike my first was a bandit 400,just started riding this season so sorry if these are noob questions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastmanstandin wrote:
I'm going to grab my manual and try to bleed it right now! Tanks again!! This is my 2nd bike my first was a bandit 400,just started riding this season so sorry if these are noob questions.
It's really easy to do, my last FJ used to rumble and shake like the bottom end had gone. Bleeding the clutch system took about a minute and used to cure it for about 48 hours.

This was because I had a leak in the slave cylinder which was bad enough to let air in but not bad enough to leak fluid. I priced up a seal kit, but found I could get a complete new slave cylinder really cheaply from some Yamaha dealer in Devon or Cornwall. That cured it permanently.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking in the manual looks like it will be easy, I hope I have the same luck as you did. Hey what side is the clutch master cyclinder on?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastmanstandin wrote:
I was just looking in the manual looks like it will be easy, I hope I have the same luck as you did. Hey what side is the clutch master cyclinder on?
Mastercylinder is next to the clutch lever, slave cylinder with bleed nipple is down on the left hand side of the engine, near the oil filter housing.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Im gonna go give it a shot right now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the fluid looked like someone craped in it. I decided to flush it out and put fresh in it, but am now having a hard time getting it primed now. Any tips?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastmanstandin wrote:
Well the fluid looked like someone craped in it. I decided to flush it out and put fresh in it, but am now having a hard time getting it primed now. Any tips?
Yes, never empty a hydraulic line if you can help it, just pump it through a bleed tube whilst topping up the reservoire until new clean fluid appears out the bottom end.

If you've emptied it, you'll just have to keep squeezing the clutch lever and topping up till fluid comes out the bleed nipple.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Got fluid to come out the nipple no problem but now the clutch feels really weak, I keep adding fluid and pumping but it's not getting any stronger. Any Ideas? Thanks again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Thanks again. However it didn't help the shaking problem much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastmanstandin wrote:
Got it! Thanks again. However it didn't help the shaking problem much.
Looks like you'll have to open it up then.

Would you say the thing that happens is at the end of the lever movement, just as the clutch connects properly? If so might be notched tangs on the clutch basket.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it is at the end of the lever travel just as the clutch fully engages. If I give the bike more throttle it dose'nt shake nearly as much. I tried taking off in second gear and it shakes then also. Plus I noticed when I shift from N to 1st the bike jumps a little. Oh and another thing my bike don't seem to do wheelies like I would think it would, in 1st at 15 mph reved to 7-8 and pop the clutch and my bandit comes right up and rides smooth as butter.I tried that on my FJ and it just dropped the rpms and jumped a little but no wheelie! So what do you guys think?? I love this bike and want to make it preform like it should, I just have never rode a FJ before so I'm not sure how it's suppose to preform. Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to try and get into the clutch and see if I can figure it out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it apart and took some photos of what I found. Looks like there's little notches on all the splines, can this be fixed or does it need replaced? Thanks again.
https://i32.tinypic.com/20j33nd.jpg
https://i32.tinypic.com/33ayqzn.jpg
https://i31.tinypic.com/2hnomxv.jpg
https://i25.tinypic.com/mlijjl.jpg
https://i25.tinypic.com/2s79g1e.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:42 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help? Can anyone tell me if I can have these parts resurfaced or do they need replaced? Thanks again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in your situation:

At this point I would put new clutch plates in and see if it is a warped plate that is causing the judder. If that doesn't fix it you'll need new clutch plates either way I'd guess as the notches in the basket and the centre will have worn the old plates.

Those notches don't look as bad as I've seen before, but I've no idea how important it is on that particular bike to have a smooth clutch basket.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just put the new Benent clutch kit in and still the same so I'm pretty sure it is the clutch basket and boss with the notches in the splines. kind of expensive parts so I am wondering if there is a way I can have what I have resurfaced or something?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't really see any notches, my last Africa Twin and last DR350 had really noticeable wear at the far end of the tangs (closest to the engine). I filed the edge off of the notch to smooth it a little and it cured my problem on both bikes. New baskets are very expensive or I would've replaced them instead.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lastmanstandi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really notches I guess but if you run your finger down the splines you can definitely feel hills and valleys. I guess it can't hurt to try and file them down first and if I screw that up I'll just buy new ones.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastmanstandin wrote:
https://i25.tinypic.com/2s79g1e.jpg


The ones in the middle look fairly deep but the outside ones could be filed out. Personally i would get a second hand clutch basket. After you have filed it down the clutch will rattle a bit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.08 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 124.48 Kb