Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


want: mobile alert flashing light for bikers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: want: mobile alert flashing light for bikers? Reply with quote

I know there's a motrax one, that actually looks like it might do the job, but it seems to me there aren't many options for someone who wants a plain, simple, flashing light clipped to the top of the screen or perhaps on the yokes. Anyone offer any alternatives?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an economical alternative you could set your phone to vibrate and carry it in your y-fronts. This would alert you to incoming calls.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ what he said Mr. Green
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay for "mobile flashing" and look in the phone accessories section Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim41 wrote:
For an economical alternative you could set your phone to vibrate and carry it in your y-fronts. This would alert you to incoming calls.


I'd be worried about what all the telephone signals and radiation would be doing to my balls. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
ebay for "mobile flashing" and look in the phone accessories section Smile
Go on then have a karma cookie - I looked for ages on eGay but never saw the ones I got from typing such simple words in. <facepalm> Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not wear phone headphones and set your phone to automatic answer, Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

david_m213 wrote:
Swim41 wrote:
For an economical alternative you could set your phone to vibrate and carry it in your y-fronts. This would alert you to incoming calls.


I'd be worried about what all the telephone signals and radiation would be doing to my balls. Laughing


Vasectomy FTW! Shifty
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is missing a call really that much of a disaster?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete1959
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim41 wrote:
For an economical alternative you could set your phone to vibrate and carry it in your y-fronts. This would alert you to incoming calls.
and give you a cheap thrill to boot Laughing
____________________
No Fear - No Idea
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm riding the phone can wait. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:13 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Is missing a call really that much of a disaster?

Nope. Not a bit. The phone never does get answered when I'm driving or riding. But I'd like to know when it's been ringing all the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:32 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Is missing a call really that much of a disaster?


It is in my house. My missus hates me being on the bike and if she is feeling particularly neurotic then she will ring me. If I haven't called back within 10 minutes then "he's probably wrapped himself around a tree". I wear shorts with pockets under my bike trousers and I tend to feel it vibrate.

Thumbs Up
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:54 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Scouse wrote:
Is missing a call really that much of a disaster?

Nope. Not a bit. The phone never does get answered when I'm driving or riding. But I'd like to know when it's been ringing all the same.


Mobiles have this trick that when you look at the screen it tells you that you have missed a call without the need of buying tat to do it for you.

Better still turn it off before the ride and you will never have any missed calls. Thumbs Up
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok let me just qualify this request for assistance for the hard-of-thinking among you. If I'm on the bike I don't answer the phone. I wear gloves and a leather jacket where the phone is inside an internal zipped pocket. It's not all that easy to get to, and if I've not had a call, I don't really want to go to the effort of getting the gloves off and getting the phone out.

It's really not too much of an imagination stretch for anyone to think of a need to know if I've had a missed call is it?

I imagine all those who aren't in a relationship with someone who cares a lot about them are the ones who don't get the idea.

Minty - you're on my wavelength. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a mopod. Bit more interesting than a flashing light. Laughing

https://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gadgets-gizmos/mopods/index.html
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shellshock
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
It is in my house. My missus hates me being on the bike and if she is feeling particularly neurotic then she will ring me. If I haven't called back within 10 minutes then "he's probably wrapped himself around a tree". I wear shorts with pockets under my bike trousers and I tend to feel it vibrate.

Thumbs Up


I don't get that, I never call him when I know he's on the bike, cos I don't want to be distracting him at all. I'll wait patiently for a text to say he's arrived safe.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

shellshock wrote:
Minty wrote:
It is in my house. My missus hates me being on the bike and if she is feeling particularly neurotic then she will ring me. If I haven't called back within 10 minutes then "he's probably wrapped himself around a tree". I wear shorts with pockets under my bike trousers and I tend to feel it vibrate.

Thumbs Up


I don't get that, I never call him when I know he's on the bike, cos I don't want to be distracting him at all. I'll wait patiently for a text to say he's arrived safe.


If I am out for a ride that has no destination and I am looking to 'make good progress' Wink then it can be quite a gap between stops. Night time is worse as she knows my night vision sucks.

The fact you are on here suggests you like bikes. My missus hates everything about them and certainly does not want to know what goes on when I am out.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id just buy a phone which lets you no you have a missed call and who from, I Thought most phones have done this since the early 90's.

Then once stopped look at your phone "Oh damn it i have a missed call from Dave, Call dave Ring Ring Ring Ring Etc.
____________________
Current: Gsxr 600 Srad - GS125 - DT125
Previous: K1 GSXR 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 102.04 Kb