Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Nokia 5800 questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Nokia 5800 questions Reply with quote

Hi guys. I know some of you own the Nokia 5800 and I'm thinking of getting one, but have a couple of questions.

Firstly - and most importantly as it's the reason I'm getting rid of the iPhone - if you have the headphones plugged in, do you still get phone and message alerts out of the speaker and not just through the headset?

Secondly, how do you get music onto the phone? I'm not a big fan of iTunes (especially since my mate borrowed my laptop and synched his phone to it meaning that I couldn't use it on my iPod until I had removed and rebuilt my library), and would like a drag and drop system if possible where I can put any MP3s onto it.

I'm not massively interested in using it for GPS or internet, so will probably just use it as a phone / MP3 player I take it is more than capable in those departments?

Ta. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the N97 which is the same phone, but better Laughing .


You can just copy and paste the music onto the phone then run a refresh on the phone to index them or you can sync them using WMP or use nokias own software (Which is shite)

I don't know about my N97 but on my N95 if you are listening to music and the phone goes it will go through both the earphones and the handset.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I am going for the 5800 because it's cheap(ish) and as I only need a phone, MP3 player and wifi it's a bit pointless paying for extra functionality.

I've ordered one off eBay for £140 so fingers crossed on the ringer being the same as the N95 then.

Ta. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, ta. I didn't hate the iPhone, but there were too many things that annoyed me about it when I can get the 5800 for half the price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5800 is a decent phone.
It does all i need it to - the camera aint bad and it plays music, and its useful to have sat nav on it, i use Amaze - https://www.amazegps.com/welcome.php

Its free (unlike the crappy nokia maps)
Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for that link. I'd done a search and read about people hacking the phone and using maps on it, but I wanted to avoid that if I could.

I'm just throwing a PAYG sim into the phone, does it work like a normal GPS (ie no need for internet access to constantly download maps like the iphone did until recently)?

Edit: D'oh. Just read a review and apparently it streams the maps down the same way the iPod did. Ah well, just have to hack it then I guess.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:03 - 29 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also put google maps on it, but i think you need an internet connection for that too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Nokia maps the one you pay for though after your 2 months trial?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.92 Kb