Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


to big of a jump ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: to big of a jump ? Reply with quote

right, so the most powerful bike ive ever driven properly is a 125.
im doing my A2 licence soon and am starting to look around at bikes.

basically, is going from 125 to a restricted 600 to much of a jump? or getting say, an old cbr400 as a sort of in between, a better move?

any advice on the situation would be helpful, thanks.
leigh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided its restricted it won't be too big of a jump in power. However restricting a 100bhp bike down to 33bhp isnt very good for it and seems a little pointless. It also means when the restrictors enevitably fall out it will be a bigger jump up to full power. Also restricted or not, it's still 600cc you're going to have to insure, and thats not going to be cheap at a young age.

A good condition 400 would be the ideal solution i think, but they are all getting quite old now so the good ones are getting harder to find.

Perhaps something like the 250 ninja if you've got he money for one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the insurance could be a killer.

the 250 ninja would be ideal, but it doesnt really appeal to me.
so would you say a 400 wouldnt be to much?

id hate to spend a lot of money on the bike, to do something stupid like this muppet Laughing


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxbHyEIkgdU



leigh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR400 would need to be restricted to 33BHP anyway, so the power would be equal of that of a restricted 600.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

so driving a restricted 600 would make little difference to driving a 33bhp 250 for instance.

ideally i would buy and restrict a 600. to save buying another bike soon afterwards.

if it was you, what would you do? or what did you do etc.

thanks, leigh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leigh.

The top end power would be probably be the same, but you would get a better spread of power on the 600.

I sat my a2 in september last year, stayed on my CG until it got stolen in January (loved that little sucker - used to outcorner the bigger bikes on it) I found that staying on the smaller bike made me a better rider as opposed to a point-and-squirt rider. I had to learn to conserve momentum and use what I had.

In other words, I ride my bike I don't ride ON it. If you get my drift?

I now ride a restricted ER5. The power jump is amazing even though it doesnt sound a lot but after being on a 125 for so long, it's nice to have that little extra when needed.

Personally, I agree with working your way up the power ladder, only for the simple fact that I know SO many people who have jumped straight onto big bikes and just can't ride them.

Did this help? Or did I just babble at you? Laughing
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your CG. there is some real scum on this earth.

yeah i get what you mean. i dont want to own a bike i cant handle properly, which was my only worry really.
so working my way up would be a smarter choice i guess.

yeah that did help lol. cheers mate.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:


so working my way up would be a smarter choice i guess.



And you WOULD be working your way up, as you plan on restricting it. You DO need to take into consideration weight and physical size of any bike.
I (for example) wouldn't be any good on a 250 Superdream... I'm only 5'2 and don't have incredibly strong legs - The superdream would be too heavy for me. Yet the 500 feels perfect for me.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

so powerwise, because its restricted, its not going to be a huuge difference whatever i get?

weight of the bike etc has been a bit of a dilema. i love the old cbr's. but there so heavy due to their age.


right, so becuase its restricted powers not a huge issude, worry more about the physical side of things? or am i getting the wrong end of the stick here Laughing

thanks for your help, leigh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:


right, so becuase its restricted powers not a huge issude, worry more about the physical side of things? or am i getting the wrong end of the stick here Laughing



Right end of the stick, although I'm guessing the spread of power will vary.

I would be more inclined to worry about the height/weight etc of the bike, as something that you feel is a little on the heavy side isn't going to do your confidence levels much good. This is likely to have an impact on your riding ability.

My regular riding buddy rides a restricted Intruder 800. She's shorter than me (by maybe an inch), and weighs about 9st fully kitted up and soaking wet.
She has had a LOT of problems in her head regarding the physical size of the bike. Believing it to be too cumbersome to go round roundabouts/corners/etc. Too wide to filter, and too heavy for slow speed manouevers,
None of this is helped by the fact that she's dropped it a fair few times, and finds it very difficult to lift on her own.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the smaller the bike, the quicker you'll gain confidence in your own abillities, It's not just a power issue.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah makes sence.

well, thanks for your help.
really appreciatte it Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:
yeah makes sence.

well, thanks for your help.
really appreciatte it Thumbs Up


No Problem, Although someone will come along and disagree. Mr. Green
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some rough insurance figures for a 20 year old with a years no claims

125 @ 28bhp = £150
250 @ 33bhp = £300
400 @ 33bhp = £600
600 @ 33bhp = £1000


As you can see they all have nearly the same peak power, but there is a massive insurance difference. As a general rule the bigger bikes will be heavier and the smaller bike will be better suited to short distances. I would aim somewhere in the middle and forget all thoughts of what bike you'll be wanting to get afterwards until alot closer to the time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 or 400 is looking the way to go. thanks for the help. Thumbs Up


there all cheap to me. my current insurance premium is horrendous Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Insurance stuff


I was tempted to go into this too, but it started to fry my little brain.

Clancy - There are so many variables to take into consideration when choosing a new bike, get shopping around, sit on a few, get some quotes, and wait until you are 100% certain on what you want.

I also know a LOT of people that go through different bikes in their first year of riding, as what they thought they wanted isn't what they needed. Wink
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 weeks on a 50cc, 5 months on a 125, 5 months on a restricted 600, then de-restricted it.
Not a vendetta against DaFrostyOne, just proving a point.

Quote:
125 @ 28bhp = £150
250 @ 33bhp = £300
400 @ 33bhp = £600
600 @ 33bhp = £1000


I disagree, my hornet 600 was £550 fully comp. 0 years no claims. with helmet & leathers, breakdown cover and personal injury included. (MCE)

Quote:
Also restricted or not, it's still 600cc you're going to have to insure, and thats not going to be cheap at a young age.

Quote:
Perhaps something like the 250 ninja if you've got he money for one.

I disagree again, a 1990 cbr400 cost more to insure than a 1999 cb600.

Its down to what bike you get, if you get a bandit 600 you can get fully comp for about £350. A ninja 250 will be way more than a cheaper 600cc.

toptip - dont go for sportsbikes, insurance companies think that because they are supersports.. people will race and crash them, also they are more "nick-able".
go for a roadster 600 like hornet/bandit. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest.. how old are you Clancy?

Because I passed my test at age 17 in september 2008, bought and insured my hornet in january 2009.
turned 18 last may, and de-restricted the hornet in june.

if you are about 18+ then insuring a bandit/hornet will be really cheap. sub £500 i would have thought.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlperkins001 wrote:

I disagree, my hornet 600 was £550 fully comp.


You're missing the point, DaFrostyOne's 'quotes' weren't meant to be set in stone. They were an EXAMPLE.

Check a quote on a CD250U for yourself, I guarantee it will be considerably lower than your hornet.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know they are not quotes. I wasn't having a go at him i was just using them to get my point across..

mates CBR600 2000 cost him £1090 fully comp. 0 no claims and only just got a licence.
my CB600 1999 cost me £550 fully comp. 0 no claims and only just got a licence. and I had loads of extras.

Quote:
Check a quote on a CD250U for yourself, I guarantee it will be considerably lower than your hornet


yeah my point.. its a roadster therefore lower insurance.

the insurance dont just go on engine size, they go on the type of bike and other stuff..

thats why insurance for a 1990 cbr400 was more than a 1999 cb600. because the cbr400 was a sports bike...
the cb600 is a roadster.

sorry if i didnt explain my point clearly, my language skills are pretty shite.

the original question was "is moving from a 125 to a 600 too much"
the answer is.. no, not really. the only problem is the insurance and the weight of the bike...
insurance isnt a problem if you go for a roadster..
so aslong as you can cope with the weight then you will be fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill still be 17 when i take the insurance out, so prices wont be cheap.
weight of the bike doesnt faze me to much, once the bikes moving its pretty irrelivant.

so you say for a first bike, sports bike is a no no due to insurance. other than that, i should be fine?
my main worry is not being able to handle the power. but i guess if i take it easy for a while untill im comfortable it shouldnt be a problem.

thanks, leigh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlperkins001 wrote:

my CB600 1999 cost me £550 fully comp. 0 no claims and only just got a licence. and I had loads of extras.


My 600 costs me £73 a year to insure without any no claims Laughing

I was running under the assumption that he was young and wanted a sports bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i am young.
but please dont assume i am a little prick.
every bikers got to start somewhere Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so you say for a first bike, sports bike is a no no due to insurance. other than that, i should be fine?
my main worry is not being able to handle the power. but i guess if i take it easy for a while untill im comfortable it shouldnt be a problem.


yep pretty much. roadster is your best option, handles easier and is alot cheaper.
the power wont be a problem..
if you go for a 400.. you will get used to it after 2 weeks and say..
"should have bought a 600" Laughing

the only problem i had on the hornet was that the clutch was further out than i was used to.. you will learn to control the bike within 2 weeks.
I had my knee down within 2 months and restrictors out within 5 months as i craved more speed. Laughing

Quote:
My 600 costs me £73 a year to insure without any no claims


Surprised you swine! Laughing
mine will be as low as that in a few years hopefully.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

restrictors are for little girls, fuck 'em and go for a full power 600, it's much more fun than cutting its bollocks off by restricting it Mr. Green

250's are rare therefore expensive for what they are
400's are raped by 17yr olds therefore haven't been looked after well, if at all
600's are plentiful therefore the best buy

if wanting something slightly more newbie friendly and less expensive on insurance than have a look at 500cc commuter style bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

any bike suggestions ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.51 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.01 Kb