Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


jackets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

rubber toe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: jackets Reply with quote

Hi, Ive just bought a jacket, its an Oxford Bone Dry, I had to get a larger size otherwise the arm length wasnt right but after trying for a while I cant get the elbow and shoulder pads to sit where they are needed, any ideas or should I take jacket back and try to find a better fit.
I'm new to biking and although common sense says you cant put a price on safety I cant really afford top brands, what do you guys recommend on the cheaper side ? Suppose I should have asked this question before buying, oh well you live and learn
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fashion a piece of material (long and thing - straps off a bag? ratchet strap stuff or similar) around your bicep (not too tight!) sew velcro on it to secure it to itself and sew onto jacket in correct places.

Voila! Thumbs Up
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are checking it sat on the bike arent you?
My elbow pads are a little low when not on the bike, when sat in bike position they are in the correct position

Also most jackets have straps that allow you to tighten them, like what Lozzy said.
Mine are press studs on the arms with 3 locations, for bigger and smaller arms


If the pads dont sit correctly then take it back.

I struggled to find trousers with the armour in the correct place for the knees. Fat waist and short legs. Smile
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take it back and try something else. i wouldn't recommend sewing/cutting/modifing either as it might compromise the jackets offered protection.

Have you tried your local Hein Gericke store?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rubber toe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 14 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tightend all straps, studs etc but still wasnt right
I did look at modifying it myself but I wont be able to take it back if I get it wrong so I think I'll take it back. An incident yesterday, after I asked the question, has made me decide to get a correct fitting jacket. The incident in question is in another post in this forum titled "first proper ride, first proper accident"
thanks
Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kennypa4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:54 - 16 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
I would take it back and try something else. i wouldn't recommend sewing/cutting/modifing either as it might compromise the jackets offered protection.


+1 Thumbs Up
____________________
Kenny
RBLS Riders
Scottishbikers Forum
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rubber toe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 16 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it back today and went to Hein Gericke shop, I prefer the look of the shorter bomber style jackets but ended up buying one called Bullson for £90. Sleeve length was good and all protection in right place, twice as expensive as the Oxford one but better to get one that fits right I guess.
Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

brendan002
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 16 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how that always happens, thank god the missus still doesn't know how much my jacket cost!

you are right though if the armour is in the wrong place may as well not be there!
____________________
08 Honda Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rubber toe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my missus was with me so no secret there, to be honest she said I should have gone for a more expensive one in the first place but I'm obviously not going to admit she was right Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

brendan002
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 16 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, to be honest mine propably does know as she checks the bank statements and knows how much bike gear costs.

But it's like when they ask how many pints have you had, "just a couple". They know we are lying but as long as we can walk let us away with it!
____________________
08 Honda Hornet 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rubber toe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 16 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

we generally pay for it somewhere down the line, thats why they let us get away with it at the time haha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 67.31 Kb