Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Moped vs Geared 50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Faraz
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Moped vs Geared 50 Reply with quote

Trying my best not to sound like a chav here. Laughing

Im looking for a 50.

I cant decide wether to get a geared or a twist and go.

Arrow I already know how to use gears very well so I dont need the experience for my full bike test next year.

Arrow I dont think i'd get bored of a twist and go as I already have a geared bike.

Arrow How much faster is a geared 50 (say an rs) than a twist and go?


Thanks, Faraz. Thumbs Up
____________________
'56 Yamaha MT-01
'05 Nissan 350z Roadster GT
3 words dude.. Fvck. Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

leddy500
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a geared!
Dunno mate, Scooters tend to have better acceleration but the fastest ones will go about 45-50, the best geared should do 55.
____________________
Current bike: Yamaha YZF R125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faraz
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention it will be restricted to 30mph.

If its not already restricted I wont be riding at more than 30mph.

I dont want to get banned. Sad


Thumbs Up
____________________
'56 Yamaha MT-01
'05 Nissan 350z Roadster GT
3 words dude.. Fvck. Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraz wrote:
Forgot to mention it will be restricted to 30mph.

If its not already restricted I wont be riding at more than 30mph.

I dont want to get banned. Sad


Thumbs Up


You'll struggle to find a restricted geared 50cc.

Why does it need to be restricted? What about the bike you ride now?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faraz
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll struggle to find a restricted geared 50cc.

Why does it need to be restricted? What about the bike you ride now?


I dont mind if its not restricted.

I just mean I wont be riding at more than 30mph so the I dont mind which has the highest top speed.

The bike I ride now is uncomfortable on my 40 mile round commute.
____________________
'56 Yamaha MT-01
'05 Nissan 350z Roadster GT
3 words dude.. Fvck. Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraz wrote:
Quote:
You'll struggle to find a restricted geared 50cc.

Why does it need to be restricted? What about the bike you ride now?


I dont mind if its not restricted.

I just mean I wont be riding at more than 30mph so the I dont mind which has the highest top speed.

The bike I ride now is uncomfortable on my 40 mile round commute.


Just get a de-restricted 50. You'll get very bored of a restricted scooter. At 30mph restricted the engine will be at the same revs as 45mph de-restricted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, although the quality of alot of twist and go 50cc machines, are iffy and not exactly built to last, id still go for a fairly practical scooter over a 50cc geared bike. Id sacrifice about 5-10mph on a de-restricted machine, to have a bit of practicality and storage space. I'd also get very bored with a 50cc noisy two stroke with a race pipe, that needs 5gear changes to get up to 30mph or so.

Lastly i would despite the legal implications not want or even try to ride a 50cc that is restricted to 30mph out of town or on busy NSL roads. I travel a very busy but quite narrow and bendy A-road most days at work, and i've seen 50cc ped's that are tucked into the edge of the road, with large faster moving traffic passing them and sometimes in dangerous places just to get past. I would'nt cycle this road, and id want about 45mph at least to feel safe and ride along with the flow of traffic.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moog
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:19 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Moped vs Geared 50 Reply with quote

Faraz wrote:
Trying my best not to sound like a chav here. Laughing

Im looking for a 50.

I cant decide wether to get a geared or a twist and go.

Arrow I already know how to use gears very well so I dont need the experience for my full bike test next year.

Arrow I dont think i'd get bored of a twist and go as I already have a geared bike.

Arrow How much faster is a geared 50 (say an rs) than a twist and go?


Thanks, Faraz. Thumbs Up


So you don't know wether or not to get a geared bike, but you already have a geared bike...which defeats the whole post really.
____________________
"A process which led from the amoeba to man appeared to the philosophers to be obviously a progress...though whether the amoeba would agree with this opinion is not known."

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:52 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Moped vs Geared 50 Reply with quote

moog wrote:
Faraz wrote:
Trying my best not to sound like a chav here. Laughing

Im looking for a 50.

I cant decide wether to get a geared or a twist and go.

Arrow I already know how to use gears very well so I dont need the experience for my full bike test next year.

Arrow I dont think i'd get bored of a twist and go as I already have a geared bike.

Arrow How much faster is a geared 50 (say an rs) than a twist and go?


Thanks, Faraz. Thumbs Up


So you don't know wether or not to get a geared bike, but you already have a geared bike...which defeats the whole post really.


He has a geared 110cc monkey bike. He can't decide if he wants a geared or T&G 50cc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A geared 50 will spank a twist n go. Even a gaylera DNA, supposedly the fastest gets left behind by geared 50's.
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moog
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Moped vs Geared 50 Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

He has a geared 110cc monkey bike. He can't decide if he wants a geared or T&G 50cc.


A 50 is a 50...what is there to decide? A geared 50 will probably require a gear change every 5 feet anyway which would be an almighty pain in the arse.

I'd go for a twist and go tbh. Or just plaster 50cc stickers on your monkey bike and hoon around on that!
____________________
"A process which led from the amoeba to man appeared to the philosophers to be obviously a progress...though whether the amoeba would agree with this opinion is not known."

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spit-Fire
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:
A geared 50 will spank a twist n go. Even a gaylera DNA, supposedly the fastest gets left behind by geared 50's.
the dna wishes it was the fastest, the pants hybrid mongrel weights to much to out pace lighter rivals with the same engine
____________________
they say the good die young... i say we just live faster
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see. Still, an RS will kill a scoot.
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why going down to a 50?
if your already riding a 110 you must be 17, or upwards so why not a 125?
____________________
Past: '05 Peugeot XPS '99 Aprillia RS125 '94 FZR600R
Current: '02 ZX636 A1P '51 CCM R30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faraz
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutton wrote:
if your already riding a 110 you must be 17, or upwards



Nope, registered as a 50. Had engine transplant.

Going down to a 50 because I shouldnt really be riding a 110 and for the reasons stated above. Thumbs Up
____________________
'56 Yamaha MT-01
'05 Nissan 350z Roadster GT
3 words dude.. Fvck. Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faraz
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, going to look at an rs50 tomorrow.
____________________
'56 Yamaha MT-01
'05 Nissan 350z Roadster GT
3 words dude.. Fvck. Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to ride restricted why buy a sporty lil or even consider one lol.
____________________
Past: '05 Peugeot XPS '99 Aprillia RS125 '94 FZR600R
Current: '02 ZX636 A1P '51 CCM R30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 335 days between these two posts...

briddgy09
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 26 Aug 2009    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Hi im 15 and going to be 16 soon i have no bike expo i need help i have read all ur comments and my conclustion is im so confused Embarassed Laughing Sick
____________________
i neeeed help
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faraz
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 Aug 2009    Post subject: Re: ??? Reply with quote

briddgy09 wrote:
Hi im 15 and going to be 16 soon i have no bike expo i need help i have read all ur comments and my conclustion is im so confused Embarassed Laughing Sick



What do you want to know?
____________________
'56 Yamaha MT-01
'05 Nissan 350z Roadster GT
3 words dude.. Fvck. Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

briddgy09
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 26 Aug 2009    Post subject: what do you think Reply with quote

well what shall i buy and what is better because i have been looking at the sachs madass but looking at the reviews its not good in small areas. what do you think about it? Razz
____________________
i neeeed help
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 26 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is it you'll pick, it'll still get you from A to B
I'd say go for a well known name, for good build quality, if you want practicallity, go for a moped, they have storage, theres been many a time i go out with friends and have to lug around jacket\helmet, or either put in on my lock, but then its liable to get knocked, or wet if its raining.

It you want a bike, get a geared bike, i think they look better, and you get a better feel for them, also not as bland as mopeds.

If you want a bit of fun, go for a 2 stroke, they smell good, make lots of noise, and are nippy.

If you want praticality, go for a 4 stroke, they're reliable (not saying 2 strokes arnt) only need petrol, and cost pennies to run Very Happy

There isnt many geared 50's apart from things like rs's and other 2 strokes, there is quite a few older geared 50's, Yamaha f1se, honda ss50, suzuki ap50.

Hope this helps in some way Very Happy
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 27 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geared 50 FTW Exclamation

IMO restricted 50's are dangerous. I had a twistie for about 2 months. After getting overtaken by pritty much everything on the road, I got myself a 'prillia SX50. Indicated 55mph. True 50 clocked by my boss.

Twist and go's are for chavs and posh people who live in london.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EUMP
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 30 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:
A geared 50 will spank a twist n go. Even a gaylera DNA, supposedly the fastest gets left behind by geared 50's.


Rather wrong Smile
____________________
C.B.T - Expired
MOD1 04/08/10
MOD2 10/08/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Digitalize
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Geared.

Dont change gear as often as people will think, get used to it easily, and accelerates faster than a Twist n Go.

Only problem is reliability, and price. I Got mine new, as it will be worth about 80% when i want to sell, but i know its not always an option.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.89 Kb