Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Temporary insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

BelleBot
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 03 Sep 2009    Post subject: Temporary insurance Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it's possible to get temporary insurance for the purpose of test rides for riders under 25? I'm hopefully buying my first bike soon, and I don't really want to risk test riding it uninsured, yet don't want to get a year's worth in case I decide the bike's not for me.

The only places so far seem to be flexirider.co.uk (dayinsure) But you have to be at least 25, I'm 21 Confused So that's not an option.
And ebike's 1 month cover is about half what I'd be paying for a year, seems very expensive especially as it's only needed for one day.

Any ideas?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 03 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything for bikes. Ebike is the only one I found that did short term insurance and I have to agree that its a bit expensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BelleBot
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could bump my age up 4 years for the sake of 1 day.
I'd rather forfeit a test ride than fudge insurance though.
Then again it's a cheap bike, so if I bought it without a test ride and then didn't like it, it wouldn't be the end of the world, sell it on or break it for parts.
I imagine any significant bad points can be spotted with the engine running and sat on the bike/pushing it around.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditJeff
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flexirider is the only one i know of.
The only other option is test bikes at a dealer, then you'll be insured with them.... of course you have to find a dealer that has the models your interested in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 03 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting someone with a bit more experience to ride it? My insurance allows me to ride any bike not belonging to me with third party cover. Most riders I know with more than a few years experience can 'feel' if a bike is right or not.

The only other thought I had was to see if the seller was willing to get a bike shop to look at it for you. Being neutral means that they will point out any faults.

A lot comes down to the seller. Personally I always tell people that they can bring it back, no questions, as long as its in the same condition that I sold it to them. I would hate to think that I had sold them a dodgy bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 44.47 Kb