Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mini USB keyboards for bike-touring use with HTC phone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Mini USB keyboards for bike-touring use with HTC phone? Reply with quote

I've got the HTC touch pro 2, while the keyboard is pretty good for a mobile phone, it's not quite up to the level of ease I'd like for doing reasonable amounts of typing.
So looking to get some kind of portable keyboard to do longer typing while I'm away (vague plan to make some kind of 'blog'/report thing while I'm on the road.)
Does anyone have experience with these and can reccomend any specific one, or know the relative benefits?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the phone have a USB root? Wouldn't have thought so, try it before you spend out.

Your best bet is going to be one of the bluetooth keyboards.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

10" mini usb laptop kinda size keyboards are quite common and easy to get a hold of for about £10. I have a couple of them. I didn't think a HTC would have a usb port though? if it does you could look to water proof one of these and all would be good.

Ok, so this one is 30CM / 12", but it's an example of something similar to what I have:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supper-Slim-Havit-2188-Black-Mini-Keyboard-Laptop-UK_W0QQitemZ220296560002QQcmdZViewItem

or did you mean something even smaller than that?? If you did, the expensive little bluetooth things might be what you're looking for.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant something like the roll-up ones. I suspect the phone probably doesn't have the USB root, so bluetooth would be the way forward.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about getting a mini netbook?

It would negate the need for for extra hdd too.

I have a Dell mini 10. It really is tiny and weighs next to nothing. It runs Windows XP pretty fast. It has an SD card slot so you can put your photos on it and it has a 160gb HDD. You can get 12v chargers for cheap on the bay. I have the extended battery £45 and it easily has 6-8 hours battery life.


https://www.dell.co.uk/mini

Dimensions & Weight
Height
25.34–28mm (Front-Back)
1.0-1.1 inches (Front-Back)
Width: 261mm, 10.28 inches
Depth: 182.5mm, 7.19 inches
Starting weight:
1.2kg / 2. 6 lbs4 with 3 Cell battery
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:40 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, when the EEE was first being hyped in pre-release, that was my thought "That'd be cool for motorbike touring" Smile.
In the longer term for a bigger tour, maybe - I have actually got the offer of a 'loan' of one, but one with the SSD (not even storage as I'd be looking to dump full 16gb cards).
Not that I expect I'd ever do it, but it'd also allow me the opportunity to do some (for my own project) coding if I got particularly bored and be a better e-book reader maybe.
However, I do like the idea of having a pretty tiny device that does it all (and my phone is probably more powerful than the desktop PC I had 10 years ago!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.36 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.27 Kb