Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Win XP, no HDD visible in disk manager

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Win XP, no HDD visible in disk manager Reply with quote

Hi,

I am starting to lean towards a complete reinstall of windows but thought I would throw the line out here in the hope someone can save me.

I have just fitted a shiny new SATA hard drive and it is visible in BIOS. I go to Disk Manager to format it and it doesn't show and neither does my C: drive. All I can see is my DVD drives.

Any ideas?

May thanks. Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it set up as a slave drive or a primary?

(that was just a guess) Laughing
____________________
Current: Ducati Multistrada 1200s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both to no avail. I inadvertantly left both my drives as slave yet the C: still boots up fine.

T'is but a weird one.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

SATA controller showing up in Device Manager?

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried putting on CS - cable select?
Just a thought.

Also SATA requires drivers to be installed, certainly if XP.

There's also a BIOS setup change you may need.
If it says SATA Emulation = RAID change to AHCI, if it says AHCI change to RAID and see if that makes a difference.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, sometimes early SATA disk controllers acted like RAID controllers, meaning all you need to do is install some extra drivers / software.

So, you may need to go to the website of the people who make your motherboard and search for some drivers.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 11 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chaps - you have given me some more things to try.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 12 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worked so I went to do a reinstall of XP. In the options, I could do it to the new drive, I tried this and it said it has to be formatted first, and it done it.

So I had one half of the windows XP install on it - fine, I just deleted it when I booted up from my other master drive.

Et voila!
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 56.37 Kb