Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Riding In Heavy Rain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

Why is it when riding in heavy rain cars get as close as they can to your back wheel? both yesterday and today I had this, wouldn't care I wasn't crawling, was at speed limit but obviously giving myself a good safety bubble and entering bends and roundabouts a bit slower. Tried just tapping the rear brake to bring the brake light on to get the bint to back off but she took exception to this and got closer still!!! How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense? wouldn't care but as soon as I got to a set of lights and began to filter to the front she's on the horn and waving her arms about like a demented ape...loll Dont they realise we are even more vulnerable in the wet and processing lots more information quicker than when in the dry?
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gallimar
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:44 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
Why is it when riding in heavy rain cars get as close as they can to your back wheel? both yesterday and today I had this, wouldn't care I wasn't crawling, was at speed limit but obviously giving myself a good safety bubble and entering bends and roundabouts a bit slower. Tried just tapping the rear brake to bring the brake light on to get the bint to back off but she took exception to this and got closer still!!! How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense? wouldn't care but as soon as I got to a set of lights and began to filter to the front she's on the horn and waving her arms about like a demented ape...loll Dont they realise we are even more vulnerable in the wet and processing lots more information quicker than when in the dry?


im running in a new engine - so i cant go majorly fast, had people cutting me up this morning and everything - not even using the 2nd lane to overtake but half of my lane too! use your hand to signal them to move back - sometimes works better than a red brake light - or make gesture of engine problem or helmet/sight problems with your hand and then use your hand to tell them to back off - if you just use your brake they think your slowing on purpose to piss them off cus wankers in cars do this all the time to each other, but if you wave your hands around in distressed mannar they know something is up and take note more than not
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
Why is it when riding in heavy rain cars get as close as they can to your back wheel? both yesterday and today I had this, wouldn't care I wasn't crawling, was at speed limit but obviously giving myself a good safety bubble and entering bends and roundabouts a bit slower. Tried just tapping the rear brake to bring the brake light on to get the bint to back off but she took exception to this and got closer still!!! How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense? wouldn't care but as soon as I got to a set of lights and began to filter to the front she's on the horn and waving her arms about like a demented ape...loll Dont they realise we are even more vulnerable in the wet and processing lots more information quicker than when in the dry?


Perhaps she was just trying to warn you that it was raining and you'll get wet on a bike? Laughing
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense?


Let them overtake.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:02 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most card drivers dont realise that they are too close. It just doesnt occur to them that they might be a danger to a motorcycle. If someone does it to me i give them a hand gesture. Starts off like a wave but usually ends up a middle finger.
____________________
https://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk and https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/ and https://www.motorcycle-luggage.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
A5tra_G wrote:
How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense?


Let them overtake.


Thumbs Up

If someones tailgating me when i`m riding at the speed limit already i either nail it to get some distance or i move over and let them pass.
If it`s not safe,or possible,for me to let them pass i`ll put the hazards on or stick my arm out and do the "slow down" hand movement with the brake lights on until they back off.

Most important thing to do imo is concentrate on the road ahead first and try to ignore numpty tailgaters behind
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

grandmasterbo...
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats ok if u got hazzards but breaking normally works for me as they allways seem to have a heart attack then take forever to get back to speed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol@ Beanfeast..yer will try the old hand gesture...starting off polite obviously, yer I thought about letting her go past but there wasn't enough room without me having to go into the gutter which I was not prepared to do (to risky).

Dont know why she thought I'd get wet though...I had that covered Laughing
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tvchimp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've only got a 50cc, so can't do much speed and have cars on my back end all the time. I've taken to turning around when I stop and glaring at them normally works, that or a hand gesture or sorts.

I've got off the bike once and gone to the window (the light had just turned red, i go through them a lot of the time so i know the lights stop red for about a minute or so). the guy asked me what my problem was. told him i'd put dints in his car if he kept on my back wheel again. suffice to say he followed about 10meters behind me til i turned off somewhere. don't do this if you're a small guy, im not a small guy Laughing (not sure if thats a good or bad thing).
____________________
Bike: Currently Bikeless... Gahh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
A5tra_G wrote:
How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense?


Let them overtake.


Then pull up next to them in traffic, smash there window and ride off on one wheel, or just knock on the window and give them some abuse for being a tard
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that hand gestures and insults tend to just make them angrier and more likely to try stupid things. For example a fool changes lane almost in to me, I brake quickly to save my skin and sound the horn with a sprinkle of Middle Finger thrown in for good measure. He then tries to brake sharply a few times in front of me in an effort to make me go into the back of his car. Rolling Eyes

I just find riding defensively to work best. Let them be the moron, don't do anything to make the risk higher. As these people are doing these stupid things in the first place, that says a lot about the sort of people they are - people who are not likely to change their ways, but just get angrier/worse when a rider has a pop back at them in retaliation. Ride safe. Cool
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try the magic weave......

Touch the brake, so it lights up and then weave from side to side fast...... Like the rear has locked up.... Embarassed

Tend's to make them stand on their brakes......


But please only try it if you sre sure you can stay on... Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pffft. Amateur.
Try dealing with all of that when your HT leads are so shagged* that your I4 is only firing on two cylinders. Bastard thing zapped me, too... Laughing



*read: arcing like you wouldn't believe. Definitely leaving the Bandit in the garage tomorrow, pending new leads...
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive not ridden in rain for over a year n half now (winter wise)
Old job was a 5 min walk so didnt bother. Now the rain has started to creep in I ventured out on to the bike to go to an appointment.
Felt very uneasy-first time in the rain for a long time, bends, breaking and a fair few leaves in the road.
I did have some arse up my arse but a few taps on the brake see him back off.
I ride how I ride, if im too slow then the person behind can overtake.
I dont want the thought knowing 'im being pushed to ride harder' because he is being impatient.
After all, if he kisses your arse - your not in the wrong - so im led to beleave.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about riding your own ride, I agree totally, I kept to a speed I was happy with but the fact they were so close made me uneasy and checking the mirrors more when I should of been concentrating on looking further ahead, guess I got to get used to accepting its gonna happen in bad weather and not let it take over my concentration.
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm um... "between mirrors" on my DRZ and Superfour and I've ridden other bikes without them too.

The strange thing is, without seeing them behind me, tailgaters don't seem to bother me as much.

On my CG last year, they were a bit of a blessing - allowed me to actually see where I was going when they got close enough.

Just ride at your own pace. If they're too close for comfort, let them by.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Philious
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the rain, had to drop the GS to Dover to get a fork seal done yesterday and it was bucketing down, I had some idiot in a crappy Citroen Saxo in the oncoming lane try and overtake forcing me to the white line or have a head on smash (giving my past accident's I didn't really want to experience that).

Today I finished work and went to pick it up, got soaked on the way back, the tyres feel really twitchy on even the slightest lean when cornering, I've tried to relax and not think about it so I don't snatch the brakes or over compensate.

Some tit in a Bentley Continental decided to first stick right to my arse and I'm on an NSL road doing 65-70 following a 4x4 from a safe distance, then he decided that he was going to overtake us both (narrowly missing oncoming traffic).

Nice to see the knob brigade is out in full force. Rolling Eyes

I really hoped I'd get a bit used to her in the dry first, I only picked her up on Saturday and I didn't get to spend much time riding as I had my son with me, I'll just have to make do with the deep end.
____________________
Previously; Honda XR125 - Yamaha DT125r - Aprilia Rs125 - Suzuki GS500e, Currently; Kawasaki ZX6R + ZX10R
Theory : Passed 28/7/09 Module 1: Passed 21/09/09 Module 2: Passed 23/09/09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ignore them. I get it all the time on the bike. If it's dark or you are in a tunnel, a backfire works wonders. Especially if it has a nice flame to go with the bang...Mr. Green

I fitted a brakelight switch to the front brake lever so I cannot slam on without the light coming on now.

I get it in the van too. Being one of those who brakes late and has a tendancy to use the gears first, they soon get a fright.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and checking the mirrors more when I should of been concentrating on looking further ahead


If Im on a stright road I ignore my mirrors ( to some extent).... Im there, in my lane, doing my speed... if the twat behind dislikes he has the option of over taking.
I wont and will never put myself out for the motorist behind me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kenny
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit back now was on my way home following our lass in her car, it was raining so i was doing just under 30 and this wanker in a range rover comes flying up my arse goes to over take when it was not safe sounding his horn then cuts right in front of me the fucking idiot, so our lass slams on the brakes and he nearly goes into her then pass her sounding horn again. futher down the road at the lights he's in the next lane winds his window down and starts shouting shit like "who the fuck does the speed limit you wanker" so i shout its fucking raining you moran and i wasnt speeding just for him the prick plus our lass got involved lol giving him the Middle Finger

wheres the f**ing pigs when you need em, how come its never the wankers who drive like there trying to kill someone who get caught Confused
____________________
KeNNy 100cc peugot speedfight 125cc Honda NSR125R 650cc suzuki SV650R 125cc suzuki GZ125 600cc yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 08 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenny wrote:
how come its never the wankers who drive like there trying to kill someone who get caught Confused


Wait a few years and you`ll probably see CCTV on every fuckin road in the UK...just like the town/city centres.
It`ll catch most of the nutters....but it`ll also take all the pleasure out of riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kenny
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i know we're turning into big brother.
____________________
KeNNy 100cc peugot speedfight 125cc Honda NSR125R 650cc suzuki SV650R 125cc suzuki GZ125 600cc yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken the uk is the most watched country in the world
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I either attempt to out accelerate someone that insists on riding behind me, or I slow down to force them slower, then out accelerate them back to speed, rinse and repeat till they get it.

I had a fun one recently when stopped at the lights and I hear the sound of a car skidding behind me, I turn back to see a ford fiesta just stop before it comes crashing into me...
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Riding In Heavy Rain Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
A5tra_G wrote:
Why is it when riding in heavy rain cars get as close as they can to your back wheel? both yesterday and today I had this, wouldn't care I wasn't crawling, was at speed limit but obviously giving myself a good safety bubble and entering bends and roundabouts a bit slower. Tried just tapping the rear brake to bring the brake light on to get the bint to back off but she took exception to this and got closer still!!! How do you guys deal with this dangerous nonsense? wouldn't care but as soon as I got to a set of lights and began to filter to the front she's on the horn and waving her arms about like a demented ape...loll Dont they realise we are even more vulnerable in the wet and processing lots more information quicker than when in the dry?


Perhaps she was just trying to warn you that it was raining and you'll get wet on a bike? Laughing


She could have been saying
" You will catch your death of cold" and "Have you got a warm vest on?"
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.63 Kb