Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New helmet giving me headache... anything I can do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 10 Oct 2009    Post subject: New helmet giving me headache... anything I can do? Reply with quote

Got a new AGV Stealth a couple of months back and have worn it a few times now. Every time it gives me headache after about half an hour, it feels fine when it's first on (hence why I bought it) but the headaches are completely ruining my rides Sad . I went for a "Medium" size in this helmet as it felt a bit more snug than the "Large", but my previous helmet was a large and now I'm regretting going for the smaller size!

Is there anything I can do apart from going back to my old helmet or buying a new large one?
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 10 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try getting smaller padding (cheek pads etc) if they`re removeable but apart from that you`re stuck with it.
If it`s still in "as new" condition you should be able to get most of your money back by selling it on ebay then you can go and buy a different one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 10 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the size of my Arai, I just know it fits. You shouldn't be even looking at the size, you need to try it on in a shop for at least 30minutes to find the one that fits you correctly.

The pressure will be at the temples so cheek pads will probably not make much of a difference but as they are cheaper than a new lid try them first. If that fails you could try physically pushing where the tight spot is to squash the polystyrene down slightly.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 10 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it on ebay and cut your losses. I had the same problem with a Shark. Tried it on in the shop and was fine. I then ordered online and when I received it I wore it while watching tv with all the tags etc still attached. After half an hour I had a serious headache. Really bad pressure points on the top of my head. I sent it back and got a full refund. Lesson learned.
Interestingly I was using a KBC in Large but this Shark was a medium (the large was too big). It probably boils down to the shape of your head not suiting an AGV. AGV and Shark seem to be a similar style of fit. Try a Shoei Raid or XR1000 they seem to have a more neutral fit. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 10 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem when i got my helmet new.. although it wasnt serious headache.. just a small annoying one, it went away the more i wore the helmet, as it shaped and moulded a bit to my head..

If its really bad, i'd get another helmet, headaches are bad for concentration Very Happy
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 10 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new Shark RSR2 this year, after about 40 minutes riding I had an annoying pain in the top of my head. Tried it a couple more times then confessed to Hubby that helmet was a pain (literally), wasn't amused to say the least.
Rather than send it back I decided to see if there was anything inside I could do. On the polystyrene inner (or whatever it is made of) There were several little lumps (bad finish maybe?) I scraped these off where my head had been hurting and haven't had any pain since Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I might cut my losses and sell it. Shame because it's a discontinued pattern and I probably won't find another one Sad . Will probably only get about half my money back as well.

The headache is unbareable after about an hour. I had to stop riding and take it off to relieve the pressure. It felt fine in the shop and does when I first put it on, maybe it's as my head gets hot and expands or something.
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete1959
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 17 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
you need to try it on in a shop for at least 30minutes to find the one that fits you correctly.
Ok... Hands up who stands there for 30 mins? apart from the Stig.
____________________
No Fear - No Idea
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiftb38 wrote:
I wore it while watching tv with all the tags etc still attached. After half an hour I had a serious headache.


I agree B_15_PSD, i don't have a clue who would actually stand there for 30 minutes Laughing

However swiftb38 seems happy to sit down and watch TV with a helmet on for 30 minutes Very Happy

I actually put my hand up though and admit, when i got my new helmet, i did sit for about 30 minutes on my laptop with it on, just to let it mould to my head slightly before whacking it on and riding with it straight away Thumbs Up

Lets you no if the size is incorrect to, better off to find out in your living room sitting comfortably than out on your bike somewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 17 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my new lid, I squashed the polystyrene a bit and put some foam over the top where it had been hurting. I have since used the lid on my European trip and did not experience the headache and I was wearing it for several hours at a time.
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 17 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your hair cut and thinned Thumbs Up
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

69.9mph
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 17 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:
Get your hair cut and thinned Thumbs Up


No.1 all over?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly good advice. I have very thick hair and if I put my hair into a plait starting at the base of my skull, I often get a pressure point on my forehead from my helmet.

If i pull it back into a low ponytail that sits on the top of my neck, I dont get this. Amazing the difference half a centimeter or so can make to the fit of a lid.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cptn. Awesome
Crazy Courier



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_15_PSD wrote:
Finglonga wrote:
you need to try it on in a shop for at least 30minutes to find the one that fits you correctly.
Ok... Hands up who stands there for 30 mins? apart from the Stig.

In Teeside Leathers in Darlington I sat on their mock-up bike (they have a frame that you can sit on pretty much in the proportions of a bike) in full leathers, boots and lid. Was gonna try and get my knee down but figured I may tip it over.
____________________
Rides - '60 Plate Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25, '03 Plate Kawasaki ZX6R B1H and an '87 VFR400 NC24

Naughty Fawbish: "An eagle is but an eagle until the suns flare blinds his prey." - Fawbish, 2010.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, it just so happens I got my hair cut on Friday but I haven't ridden the bike since then. Will give it a go! Thumbs Up
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My helmet is a tad tighter in the morning on the way to work, than it is on the way home. Somthing to do with the old bodily fluids Shocked dispersing evenly throughout your body while laid down asleep , then when you get up after a bit gravity pulls the blood an stuff down. And yes a haircut can make a difference.

Mark
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.32 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 89.82 Kb