Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Best time of the year for riding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Best time of the year for riding? Reply with quote

Just had one of the most enjoyable blasts on my bike that I've had in a long time. Got me thinking that this for me is the best time of the year for riding; the low temperatures mean I don't get hot and uncomfortable in my gear, the bike feels fast as fook with the denser air and yet it isn't so cold that you can't get/keep the heat in the tyres. Lovely, really enjoyed it, and hit the highest speed I've done this year on the CBR Shifty

Don't usually make inane posts like this but I'm feeling all enthusiastic about the bike just now Laughing
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

damz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoyingly its only good riding conditions at night here for some reason, it'l be pissing it down during the day then bone dry at night Sad had some good wee runs on the way back from work at 1am as its totally dead everywhere
____________________
Current Bikes RVF400 - 94
Cars: RX7 FD, Eunos Roadster
Former Bikes: FZR 250R 89, ZX7R 98
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to completely agree Thumbs Up temperature has just been perfect on the bike recently. Even yesterday when I forgot my jacket (don't ask how) getting home wasn't too cold.... just!

It's at the cool stage where there isn't any wind or temps yet considered "icy". I reckon we don't have much longer of this though? And the leaves.... oh the leaves Sad the leaves of death are coming.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

suggs
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep sunny autumn days are great for riding before the real cold sets in. just had a nice ride myself through rural Essex, sun is out and the bike loves the cold air Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree its perfect at the moment- you dont get too hot
with your gear on when your moving slowly and not to cold when having a blast either Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Best time of the year for riding? Reply with quote

T0MMY wrote:
Just had one of the most enjoyable blasts on my bike that I've had in a long time. Got me thinking that this for me is the best time of the year for riding; the low temperatures mean I don't get hot and uncomfortable in my gear, the bike feels fast as fook with the denser air and yet it isn't so cold that you can't get/keep the heat in the tyres. Lovely, really enjoyed it, and hit the highest speed I've done this year on the CBR Shifty

Don't usually make inane posts like this but I'm feeling all enthusiastic about the bike just now Laughing


Completely agree with you - last couple of days have been sweet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, it has been raining most of the day in the north west. I have still been out though and done 119 pleasure miles.
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've moved down to Cambs from Edinburgh and I can't believe how little it rains here Laughing Mind you, the roads aren't nearly as good and are much more crowded Crying or Very sad
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah, it's all wet up here now. After trying to find the spare cash all summer I've finally been able to afford to splash out on kevlar jeans, and I'll be damned if the weather will take that away from me.
All cold on my goolies. Feels good, man.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditJeff
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good ride to Weston Super Mare and then on to Cheddar today.
I also like riding this time of year. You dont sweat your nads off and the roads are much quieter with no holiday traffic here in the West Country.
I'm even looking forward to it getting even colder. I really enjoy going out for rideouts on crisp winter days, wearing winter textiles and a flask of hot tea in my tailpack.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditJeff wrote:

I'm even looking forward to it getting even colder. I really enjoy going out for rideouts on crisp winter days, wearing winter textiles and a flask of hot tea in my tailpack.


Agreed, cold and dry is the sexiest combination of weather. Cold and wet makes you consider skipping uni/work and making hot chocolate. Christ, I'm a pansy.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

since all the seasons are out of place you can't really tell the perfect time but usually its when the roads are mild enough to keep good grip but not cold to stop the tires gripping.
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fun whatever the weather, it's the reason why I ride bikes. One of the best recent rides I've had was through the torrential rain the other week, in the dark, with just a hint of fear...

However, yesterday's ride was awesome - found myself down the tinyest of "roads" on the DRZ, front and rear tyres complaining with the dire lack of grip...never thought I could have so much fun deliberately provoking the bike to loose control....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely why I love Christmas day blasts, the last 2 years have been absolutely perfect for a cheeky little early ride out, the roads are absolutely desolate.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love riding home after a night shift, the slight chill wakes you up but still can hoon.
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditJeff wrote:
I really enjoy going out for rideouts on crisp winter days, wearing winter textiles and a flask of hot tea in my tailpack.


Totally agree mate, waking up pretty early to a nice crisp frost, and then looking out the window to see the clear sky with the sun shining down. I don't even have the proper winter gear, but wearing a few layers of jumpers underneath my leather jacket makes me feel nice and toasty. I wear some old school magic gloves under my usual bike pair. I also wear some warm Army socks from when i went to cadets years ago, and top it all off with a neck scarf Thumbs Up

I haven't experienced winter riding, but in the autumn where i used to live in Norfolk in the countryside, the weather used to be just like this. The days would top 10 degrees celsius and the sun would continue to shine. Always had a flask of hot chocolate, packet of crisps and some hob knobs in my backpack.

Was so nice riding down country lanes, stopping outside of a field entrances and sitting on the fence looking out for miles and miles of open landscape, just field after field, man i miss where i used to live Sad

Just like T0MMY said, roads aren't half as good and there a lot busier. I live near in Peterborough T0MMY, so i'm probably not that far from you.

It's right though, cold and dry are the best combination's of weather available to a biker Thumbs Up

Baring in mind i did the early morning autumn rideouts on my 125, and it was great.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hornetmike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 100 miles today trying to improve my cornering, was a good day.
____________________
87 Honda CG 125 - 97 ER5 - SR 50 -81 Z250- 96 CBR 600 F- 94 GPX600R 88- GPX 400R- 87 GS 125 - 2006 Honda CB600F- 2003 ER5 - Honda CBF 1000 2009 - Honda CBR 600 RR 2011
Current BMW R1200GS 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer riding on a crisp, clear sunny winters day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stelmer wrote:
I prefer riding on a crisp, clear sunny winters day.


With the right gloves then I can completely agree Thumbs Up I really need to find a way of getting my hands warmer. After that a crisp winters day ride is amazing.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:09 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Wet Monsoon' that we like to call "summer" is vastly over-rated.

Autumn and Spring are the best times for riding. Dry Winter days are good for mountain biking and cold winter days best for mountaineering.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:45 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a completely dry, sunny weekend here again, and I was out on two wheels both days...making total use of it. Although I was wearing about 4 layers (I do feel the cold), I felt like Michelin man waddling around at Bury Hill and the likes... Laughing
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal time for riding was just before the leaves dropped. But i've just returned from the best ride of the year, and it was just a little round-robin route i do when 'testing' the bike. I rode quick tonight, and yet i was the most relaxed i'd felt in ages, even with 40mph gusts of wind. Caught up with a hot-hatch and he floored it with his bean can rasping away...i was soon on his bumper but the roads are too twisty for a safe overtake..well for me anyway.
I don't count myself as racy, couldn't help it tonight and don't plan on repeating it, i'd be sure to die.
Best bit was entering an elbow bend with rippled surface and flat camber and not panicking when i was scuffing the hedge. I kept some throttle on and pushed the bar n pegs like billy-o. So needed a slow-mo vid of that.
Oh and the drivers look of distaste when he saw an old loon riding an ageing 250. That was pretty cool.

Pat
Not big or clever.....but buzzing like a vibro
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
stelmer wrote:
I prefer riding on a crisp, clear sunny winters day.


With the right gloves then I can completely agree Thumbs Up I really need to find a way of getting my hands warmer. After that a crisp winters day ride is amazing.


Heated Grips and plenty of stops for a brew (and later pee stops lol) does me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 124.94 Kb