Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Aprilia SR 125 Electrical Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

_sm
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Aprilia SR 125 Electrical Problems Reply with quote

Hi all.
I recently bought a 2001 Aprilia SR 125 Max Biaggi Race Rep' for getting about on during the winter.

I'll firstly state that the scooter, to the best of my knowledge, is mechanically sound and runs perfectly fine once started.
Now onto the bad news.

About 2 weeks ago I could no longer start the scooter via the electric starter button, but it would start via the kickstarter fine. I thought this may have been due to a dead/faulty battery but found it strange that the lights and horn etc still worked even when the scooter wasn't running. Up until 2 days ago everything but the electric start was working perfectly until I noticed that my turn signals were no longer flashing. Upon further investigation I found the horn was no longer sounding properly (and sometimes not at all). In regards to the turn signals, while the scooter is idleing, they flash faster than normal, but as soon as the scoot is revved they light up solid and stay solid until turned off or the scoot is brought back to idle. The lights will now no longer work unless the scoot is running.

So this morning I got myself over the garage and got my multimeter out, figuring the battery must have died. Put the multimeter on the battery only to find that it was still showing 12v or thereabouts, this is the same whether the scoot is running or not. The voltage drops when the horn, lights or turn signals are attempted to be operated while the bike isnt running but they do not function at all. The same is true when the scoot is running however the lights function properly and the indicators operate as described previously.

I am at a loss as to what may be wrong, as the battery seems to be holding and getting a charge?

Any help greatly appreciated.

sm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's holding charge and there's holding enough charge to do anything useful with, and things are failing on your scoot in a direct correlation with what takes the most power. So, battery is the prime suspect.

There may be a problem with the charging circuit as well, but it's impossible to say for sure with a duff battery.

f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_sm
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

finpos wrote:
There's holding charge and there's holding enough charge to do anything useful with, and things are failing on your scoot in a direct correlation with what takes the most power. So, battery is the prime suspect.

There may be a problem with the charging circuit as well, but it's impossible to say for sure with a duff battery.

f.


So, next port of call other than buying a new battery?

I've also had suggestions the regulator may be bad? How would I test this?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quick test is to measure the battery voltage with the engine on and the engine off, should be approx 12V (engine off) and then 14V (on, 5000rpm), however if you have a duff battery it'll trick you into thinking it's not working right, so you must always test with a known, good battery.

You seem to be getting some extra power from somewhere with the engine running, which suggests the regulator is ok.

Next step is to borrow any good battery to test with (car battery and jump leads is fine, but disconnect the suspect one), or charge the battery you have overnight, it may last a few minutes, or it may not.

f.


Last edited by finpos on 19:49 - 23 Nov 2009; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just charge the batter for now, as that has been holding charge, but your alternator isn't charging it,

the battery had enough life to make it spark and what not, but not enough to crank over the starter,

first thing i would look at is the main fuse,
and then all the connectors between the alternator and the battery,
then find out if your alternator is ok, then look at the reg/rec
there is a wiring diagram in the wiring diagram thread Mr. Green
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_sm
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to take the battery to a local motorists shop in the morning, they will test the battery for free and I'll hopefully find out if the battery is duff or not.

hmmmnz wrote:
i would just charge the batter for now, as that has been holding charge, but your alternator isn't charging it,

If the alternator were not charging the battery, would the battery not have been completely flat by now having ran the bike for a good few weeks?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 23 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan, but I urge caution. The special doofer that the man in the shop will use to test your battery for free has two purposes:

1) to convince you that the battery you have is knackered and you need to buy a new one from him
2) Unless the battery is accompanied by an invoice from said man which indicates it is within warranty, in which case it's totally fine.

Also, it won't actually work properly on a flat battery, which always makes me chuckle.

However, I suspect you battery is indeed toast.

f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_sm
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I'm under no illusions as to the agenda's of most shops. The person who runs the shop is pretty genuine but either way I wouldn't be purchasing my battery from there if I happen to need a new one. This is just a quick check as they are free and local.

Just a thought, not too clued up on scooters and batterys as you may have guessed.. but could I use the battery from my zx-6 as the 'good' battery to test with?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - if it'll start your bike, it'll be fine on the scooter. Probably won't fit in the space so just use jump leads, don't forget to disconnect the flat one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_sm
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Borrowed a battery of a DT125 today, hooked it up to the Scoot and all fired up properly, horn, all lights and indicators work.
So this eliminates the regulator as being a suspect, correct?

That narrows it down to either a duff battery or duff alternator:

Alternator is fine, battery is duff and can't hold enough of a charge to start the Scoot.

Or.. Alternator is duff and can't put enough of a charge into the battery.

As you may have guessed I'm trying to sort this with as little cost as possible. How could I work out which is at fault without buying a new battery or alternator?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_sm
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info' Colin.

So here's where I'm at currently:
I borrowed an Optimate. This Optimate has 4 lights next to 4 small icons - The 1st icon, a full battery with a Smile, 2nd icon a half filled battery, 3rd icon a very low battery and the 4th a nearly empty battery with a Sad. So I hooked it up to the battery and it displayed a light next to the 2nd icon which I was told is normal. Left it on for 6+ hours and came back to check. The light was now next to the 4th icon. Which I was told means the battery is as good as dead.

Readings with a multimeter are as follows:

Battery with engine off: 12.2v
While on the Optimate: 13.9v
When I attempt to start the scoot via electric start: 2v (it then jumps back up to around 11.7v then builds back up to 12.2v)
(Engine off) When I turn lights on: 0.3v (it then jumps back up to around 11.7v then builds back up to 12.2v)
(Engine off) Indicators flash fine at 11.6v

Once I get the engine running things are confusing and will result in either of the below:

(Engine on) Idle at 9.5v
(Engine revving) 6.5v
With lights on they flicker at idle but dim on revving.
Indicators flash fast at idle but stay solid when revving.
Horn is weak at idle but none existent when revving.

OR

Idles at 12-13v and rises when revved.
Horn works fine, lights work fine and brighten when revving, indicators work fine.

I also notice this change when I am out riding, my lights, indi's etc will all be working fine, then all of a sudden I notice my dash light will dim and my indi's no longer function properly and lights dim when revved.

Hope this can shed light as to what may be causing the problem.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so, with a good battery, it works fine. With your clearly duff battery, it does all manner of mad things. I think you may be thinking about this too much. It says how to test the altenator WITH A GOOD BATTERY further up the thread, did you do that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 74.36 Kb