Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I am spamming people via my hotmail account...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: I am spamming people via my hotmail account... Reply with quote

How do I make it stop?

I appear to be sending this

Quote:
Dear firend:
Heya, how are you doing recently ? I would like to introduce you a very good company which i knew.They can offer you all kinds of electronical products which you need, such as laptops, mobile phones, digial cameras, TV LCD, xbox, ps3, gps, MP3/4, etc. Please take some time to have a look at it,there must be something you'd like to purchase.
Their website: Mall-good.com
Their Email/MSN: [email protected]




Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company!
Best Regards!


To everyone I've ever email from this account. I usually know I've done this, as I have countless 'message send failure notifications' and some replys from people telling me politely to shove it.

How do I stop this happening, as it's happening with more frequency lately...

Cheers.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you changed your password? Change your password.

Also deactivate any redirects and if it's set up to run through a pop server on your home PC, turn that off too.

I'm no expert, but I think it's pretty difficult for a malicious program on your computer to send spam emails via the browser interface whereas outlook is pervious to most known malware and viruses.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Mick
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: I am spamming people via my hotmail account... Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
How do I make it stop?

I appear to be sending this

Quote:
Dear firend:
Heya, how are you doing recently ? I would like to introduce you a very good company which i knew.They can offer you all kinds of electronical products which you need, such as laptops, mobile phones, digial cameras, TV LCD, xbox, ps3, gps, MP3/4, etc. Please take some time to have a look at it,there must be something you'd like to purchase.
Their website: Mall-good.com
Their Email/MSN: [email protected]




Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company!
Best Regards!


To everyone I've ever email from this account. I usually know I've done this, as I have countless 'message send failure notifications' and some replys from people telling me politely to shove it.

How do I stop this happening, as it's happening with more frequency lately...

Cheers.


I've just had the self same ad through my system (Yahoo mail) sent to everyone in my contacts.

Passwords don't factor in this, it was an e-mail from a friend, so got through the spam filters. I opened it, saw it was junk and deleted it. I didn't open any attachments, which I thought was the way they got into your computer?? The only way I could have avoided it was to not open an e-mail from a trusted user. Confused

So, how can I avoid this happening again??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: I am spamming people via my hotmail account... Reply with quote

Red Mick wrote:
The only way I could have avoided it was to not open an e-mail from a trusted user. Confused

Just cos an email is from someone you know doesn't mean the link in the email or the attachment are safe.

Hotmail is full of crap like that because people are forever entering their passwords into those crappy webpages that spam everyone on your contacts list. At some point you've given your account details out, now they've got your contact list the spam will continue being sent to your contacts in emails that appear to be sent from you (its easy to make an email appear to be from any address).

The best way to avoid these problems is to not use hotmail. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, switched it on one day to dozens of "failed delivery" messages.

I sent another message to all telling my last email was spam, I changed my password from an easily crackable one to a super duper crazy number/capitals one and it hasnt happened again.
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me a week ago. It isn't someone using your account to sent the emails. When a server sends an email it can send it "FROM" who ever it wants. I can send an email to [email protected] and make it appear like it was from [email protected] if I really want to.

So what I think it is, is when those stupid chain emails get sent around with some moving story in it or something, people simply hit the button that sends it to everyone in their address book. This sends your email address and likely other people you know on to complete strangers. Some of these strangers collect this data and start spamming it up.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Mick
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: I am spamming people via my hotmail account... Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Just cos an email is from someone you know doesn't mean the link in the email or the attachment are safe.

But I didn't open any links or atachments

Hotmail is full of crap like that because people are forever entering their passwords into those crappy webpages that spam everyone on your contacts list. At some point you've given your account details out, now they've got your contact list the spam will continue being sent to your contacts in emails that appear to be sent from you (its easy to make an email appear to be from any address).

The best way to avoid these problems is to not use hotmail. Thumbs Up


I don't use hotmail either
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo isn't exactly any better. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.75 Kb