Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Reporting an accident - would you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reporting an accident - would you? Reply with quote

I was filtering and had got into a gap in the left hand lane as a car also tried to get into that space. I braked and started moving to the left, but not in time, so I knocked off the slower moving car's mirror with my right hand (bit of skin torn but not broken). I was in the middle of the lane at this point.
The driver continued to pull into the space, while I had now slowed enough to let them in front and then stopped, but they carried on.
Another driver gave me a questioning gesture, but I gave a thumbs up, giving the driver of the car I impacted a gesture (not a rude one) as I rode off. Not sure they were even aware they had a left mirror, so may not have noticed it was now hanging off.

Apparently I have to actually go in to a police station with Docs and stuff to report this.
Is it worth it? Can't be bothered with the hassle, but also don't want the hassle if they did report it. However, of course if they did get my plate (they had a passenger but didn't see them writing down the registration) and reported it, it'd look bad on me if I didn't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they left the scene then I would not bother. If they looked to be pulling over somewhere and you left the scene, then I would.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plausible deniability. "Somebody's mirror came off? Gee, I never noticed."
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't, unless it was serious, which it wasn't.

I went to the police after my first accident, they said they would send me some number (accident report number?) in the post and I never got anything. Maybe they just forgot.

They also said that I would need to go to hospital for a doctor to note down my injuries, which I was told by the doctor to be a lie so I've no idea what that was about but my only injury was a grazed knee.

I'd save my time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Failing to stop after an accident (or report it if necessary) is in itself an offence. Chances are you are fine, but if they do report it and you haven't then you could be done for failing to stop.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that instance I wouldn't bother personally, but sods law says the other driver's reported it and I'd get a knock on the door in a day or two though...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was had a simular incdent with a car when on my BMW, was in the left hand lane and they started drifting towards me gave a blast on the horn which they inored, ended up getting so close to me my right hand metal paniner was draged down the side of the car taking a load of paint off manged to make a run for it through traffic after that. Laughing
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cmgonline.com/images/stories/features/Test_Rides/10_bmw_f800r/f800r_lhs_grip.jpg
One of the buttons has a very useful function. Razz

I'd say report it just to avoid it causing trouble at a later date on the off chance they got your plate and they reported it. Assume you're 100% legit, so other than how ever long it takes in the police station you don't have anything to lose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be the INFO button, right? I always need more info.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they stopped to get a witness then even if they do report you they will have no leg to stand on.

The whole shebang should be treated as a 'racing incident' anyway. I thought mirror clipping was fair game...

Wink
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No paint picture?

If you are a rebel, don't do a thing. If you are worried and value not giving your DNA report it.
I would report it, if only to get my point of view across first.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the car was in the right hand lane at first? Sounds like he cut you up/moved into you, but you're saying you were at fault?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for the thoughts all.
And I definitely considered her to be 'at fault' (though, no doubt there were ways I could have avoided it too - for a start I could have braked harder despite the damp, I'm pretty sure.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive taken many a mirror off, but never accidently.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense, I got the impression you thought you were at fault.
Regardless of fault, if I was sure she wasn't going to pull over and that there was no damage to my bike, I would probably not report it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Ta for the thoughts all.
And I definitely considered her to be 'at fault' (though, no doubt there were ways I could have avoided it too - for a start I could have braked harder despite the damp, I'm pretty sure.)


You didn't say it was a woman............. we all know who is at fault now. Laughing
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:36 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A woman, driving a car!?!?!?! That's bad, someone should have told her to shut up and get on my horse!! If all women were on horses rather than cars then that type of thing just wouldn't happen.

Thinking I wonder... some type of loud air horn/speaker setup + shut up woman get on my horse = loud sexist abuse at the press of a button. I can see a gap in the market here. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once made a thread about TAPPING a mirror and the guy going mental so i fucked off.

the bandwagon were livid at me not pulling over for tapping someone elses mirror.

YOU SHOULD HAVE PULLED OVER, HOW FUCKING IRRESPONSIBLE OF YOU. WHAT IF ANOTHER BIKE WAS FILTERING AND GOT CRASHED INTO BECAUSE YOU BROKE OFF THEIR MIRROR SO THEY COULDNT SEE.

etc etc.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you'll see I did pull over, while they did not Wink.
I'm not sure they even realised they had a left hand mirror to be honest.

And good point on the horn Ste, I always forget to use it in such situations.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with the horn button is it's very close to the indicator. I've indicated in anger a few times. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
I've indicated in anger a few times. Smile



That made me laugh, but it came out as a piggy snort. I hate you. lol.

G - Whats to say she didn't hit you and the only damage was her wing mirror. You pulled over and she left the scene of an accident. Report at as she hit you. Wink
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading previous threads I get the impression it is worth reporting it; especially if it is obvious she was at fault.
Only because a few people have got in trouble when the driver got home and their husband made them report it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did report it. I actually forgot the licence plate number which I had memorised up until I walked in to work and people started talking to me about work. Probably good because I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of it being followed up etc.
Anyway, they gave me a seven day wonder, as procedure, I was a day late handing it in after I couldn't find the right docs, but they were actually ok about it (I went in with the wrong/not enough docs on the right day at least.)

As I haven't heard anything, guessing she didn't report it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if she got your number plate, seeing as how from your account of it she was in front of you from when the "accident" occurred onwards.

No number plate, no one knows for sure it was you, i think you'll be fine Wink

I would've reported it (after all it sounds like she was driving without due care, which i bloody hate) providing i could be sure i then didn't have to declare the "accident" to my insurance company for the next many years.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filtered past her soon after.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.52 Kb