Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


1998 KLR 250 Front Master cylinder

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dom_V8
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:27 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: 1998 KLR 250 Front Master cylinder Reply with quote

Hey,
I was wondering if I could use the master cylinder off a new YZ250 on my 1998 KLR 250. The YZ master cylinder has the same bore as the KLR (12.7mm or 1/2") so any issue regarding braking power etc isn't an issue.

I was wondering whether the brake lines would fit on the new master cylinder. Do I need to get new lines or anything to be able to use the YZ master cylinder with the standard KLR caliper??

The YZ master cylinder has a "banjo bolt thread pitch: 10 x 1.25mm" according to where I got it. I haven't been able to find any similar data stating the size of the "banjo bolt" for the klr, and I am only guessing at what the banjo bolt really is.

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:43 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be an issue but I'd use the KLR bolt in the KLR caliper and the YZ bolt in the YZ m/c. The actual banjo fittings on the hose itself should be fine but you may need to make sure that you have ample copper washers as they can be a bit pissy when mating non-standard bits of kit.

I has a Aprilia RS125 m/c hooked up to the caliper of a Yam SR125, to date its the best setup I've ever ridden with.... Loads of feel yet would haul up rediculously quickly with only two fingers on the trigger. After a bit of fannying around with copper washers to make it seal it was fine.

I'd go for it and see how it turns out, is there any particular reason you arn't using the stock KLR m/c?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_V8
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:47 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its kinda missing the fluid window, the diaphragm and the resovoir cap...

I was looking at a couple of pictures on the net and the spot where the lines attatch on the YZ looked WAY smaller than that on the KLR.

Thanks for your help so far Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about missing the window.

A penny and expoxy resin will sort that out no probs... Thumbs Up

Top and cover off ebay?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_V8
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought about just replacing the stuff before and someone told me I could replace the fluid window really easily. But it just seemed too much trouble at the time and the YZ master cylinder was only $30AUD.

A new KLR master cylinder retailed at $300AUD!!!!!!

Now I'm thinking it might not be such a bad idea repairing it using your epoxy method Smile !!! The only problem is it's my Dads bike and I don't think he will be too impressed with a DIY repair, especially since it's for his brakes.

Thanks again for all your help. I don't know how to leave good feedback for you though... Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 43.36 Kb