Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


SERIOUSLY??? (GSX250 Rebuild)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

xXshadowXx
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: SERIOUSLY??? (GSX250 Rebuild) Reply with quote

What the f*&$. I'm here trying to rebuild my 1983 GSX250 right. I undo the exhaust downpipes from the front of the engine, and EVERY SINGLE BOLT shears off as I'm undoing them. I now have the thread of 4 bolts in the front of my cylinder block, and, if that isn't bad enough, the exact same thing occured to 2 adjacent bolts while I was removing the top end, which probably means I won't be able to get a good seal around the camshafts and as a result won't fix the oil leak I was there to fix in the first place.

I don't know how to remove the threads. Please help!

Also while I'm at it, how on earth do I get the old gaskets off without spending 5 days doing it or ruining the machined surfaces? And how big a job is splitting the crankcase? I'm fairly sure a large amount of old dirt from around the studs got in down the cam chain tunnel... One more question: I replaced the gaskets around the sump plate and the side with the generator a couple of days ago from a full gasket set I bought. If I do end up splitting the crankcase, these will have to come off again. As I only just put them on, will they be right or will I have to grab new ones? Kinda wanna avoid it since I ordered them from the UK and don't want to pay $280 AU for suzuki ones.

Thanks guys
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray penetrating oil (wd40 etc) on all your bolts before attempting to undo. let them soak for a couple of hours.

Use a sharp razor blade and take your time.

and yes, you are quite likely to break them when you take them off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you expect it is a Suzuki, even now the fixings are made of rusty toilet paper and cheese..
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

unitybiker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry the thread bolts usually screw out after a good soaking .You could use two nuts locked togeter on one bolt and carryon undoing them ,or a mole grip can help .in the worst case if the entire bolt has come off and there's nothing to grip they can be drilled and re threaded with oversize bolts .Soaking is the best option,be patient.the bolts stick because of the ally threads,steel and ally equals corrosion .You will notice this when you inspect the bike .when rebuilding a bike I always add a thick extra earth cable to as near the genny as posssible ,this helps reduce electrolytic corrosion on the engine holding bolts .Like many cars /motorcycles use the engine/frame as an earth wire which results in corrosion .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

take aphoto of the offending studs.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

unitybiker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:52 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new gaskets you fitted should come off ok if your carefull and be reused.With the old gaskets it best to use a blunt blade held at a 60 degree angle and carefully push and scrape under and along the gasket trying to remove most of it in one peice ,like peeling an orange.Make sure the tiny bits of old gasket dont block any casing oilways and get the scappy bits off your workbench as quickas poss. you can carefully use wire wool to polish the case seal surfaces but watch for debris.Clean cases with parrafin and when reassembling cases together take your time an ensure no bowed or mishapen folding of gasket and locating pegs in place.. If you don't do it properly you will immediatley have oil leaks and will have to do it all again
you could save a lot of time and trouble by scrubbing the engine down or wirebrushing it to clean it before dismantling.When the engines back together a small cleanover means it's ready for laquering .The big advantage of cleaning it first is that you get less crap on your hands and there less risk of letting road grime in the cases,scrub everything inside with clean parrafin.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You re-affirm everything I've said about why I will never buy a Suzuki.

BUT. You have the top end off? Really handy.

Take the cylinder head to an engineering firm and get them to drill them out and fit helicoils if necessary. Sheared exhaust studs are only a major pain in the arse if you don't want to take the head off/engine out.

With the head off, it can be clamped in a pillar drill/milling machine and the sheared off stumps drilled out with relative ease.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

xXshadowXx
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys

Have teed up with the mechanic on the corner for him to use his stud remover thing on my busted bolts, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm trying to use a razor on the gaskets but far out it takes forever, and I keep not being able to get the last bit without scraping metal off the seal :/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem with my bike and someone in the past did some extreme bodges. There's stuff that needs doing but I dareden't touch the bolts!!!!!

Rocker cover was glued on, Oil filter cover was glued on, downpipes have bog standard bolts in them, which are too long. There's a nut on them which tightens to the downpipes.

2 are rounded off and need helicoiling. I also had to replace the engine internals which the rocker cover bolts to. I should've done the valve clearances here as I daredn't remove the cover as it took ages to get it oil tight.

I still need to get the oil filter cover stud bolts out and replace them, somehow.

Whilst i'm good with electrics, i'm still learning difficult engine repairs on my own. I'm not even going to attempt to fix the more pressing issues till I know what i'm doing with the timing and other delicate parts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

unitybiker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 04 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

try using a butterknife or a 5-6inch blunted locknife/penknife ,wire wool will remove the last bits of liquorice of the seals without scratching as well as flatten out any scratches.


if there's some sort of exit(drain plug?) you could flush petrol or parrafin down the centre case ,dont be stingy with it just give it a tiny swill then get a little flow going and the road shit should be carried out , repeat a few times and then the parrafin can be left to settle/drained off and reused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

xXshadowXx
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:37 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL i got the studs off the top of the head by clamping the stud in a vice and turning the actual head.... it worked too, and I didn't scratch the machined surface.

It sounds funny with no downpipes/muffler... Guess I'll have to put them on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

xXshadowXx
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:38 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

New problem -- When I start the motor it pisses out oil at an alarming rate from around the oil filter cover :/

God dammit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

unitybiker
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a seal or warped cover or gasket problem. Give it all a wipe and start it up and check the exact location of the leak .check the head barrel seam for drips as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

xXshadowXx
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 06 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a tiny spot in the rubber seal where it had been pinched and was compressed enough to make a small passageway for oil to pass through. Replaced it and it doesn't leak at all Smile

My first successful engine rebuild!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.91 Kb