Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Touring tyre tread depth - New

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Dec 2009    Post subject: Touring tyre tread depth - New Reply with quote

I generally buy 2nd hand tyres, as such I actually have no idea how deep the tread is on a new tyre Embarassed

A few adds I am looking at state the remaining tread depth, but as I have no idea how deep it is when new, I can't really tell if they are 1% worn or 70% worn!! Very Happy

So in MM what is a new touring tyres tread depth?!!? Thinking
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 04 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I remember rightly that when I bought Bridgestone Battlax BT020/021 tyres last year the BT020 front was 4.5mm from new and the BT021 rear 5 or 6mm.

Suzuki recommend changing the rear at 2mm and the front at 1.6mm, but the legal UK minimum is 1mm front/rear.

The tyres lasted around 6,000 miles so if you know what it's got left subtract the manufacturer's or legal minimum and you'll know if they're worth buying.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldbiker
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeR wrote:
I think if I remember rightly that when I bought Bridgestone Battlax BT020/021 tyres last year the BT020 front was 4.5mm from new and the BT021 rear 5 or 6mm.

Suzuki recommend changing the rear at 2mm and the front at 1.6mm, but the legal UK minimum is 1mm front/rear.

.


I might be wrong but I think the legal minimum is 1mm at any point of the tyre or 1.6mm over 70% of the width of the tyre.

All tyres now have tread depth indicators at the point where the tread meets the side wall (if you look closely you will find them).

The minimum recommended tread depth is 3mm, this is the safe limit not the legal limit

here are two links to a post that I put on another site,
these posts just tell you what all the letters and numbers on the tyres mean

https://scooterotica.org/tempforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3769&p=26559&hilit=tyre+specs#p26559

https://scooterotica.org/tempforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3770&p=26560&hilit=tyre+specs#p26560
____________________
It`s all powerfull white mans magic
https://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/tzrsteve/album%201/035.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT45 rear 5mm when new.



Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzr.steve wrote:
I might be wrong but I think the legal minimum is 1mm at any point of the tyre or 1.6mm over 70% of the width of the tyre.


It's 1.6mm for a car tyre and 1mm for a motorcycle tyre (over 75% of the width), and mopeds merely need visible tread.

Quote:
Cars, light vans and light trailers MUST have a tread depth of at least 1.6 mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and around the entire circumference.

Motorcycles, large vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles MUST have a tread depth of at least 1 mm across three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and in a continuous band around the entire circumference.

Mopeds should have visible tread.


Source Direct Gov - Vehicle maintenance, safety and security
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 05 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 1mm for a bike, 1.6mm for a car. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 06 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzr.steve wrote:
The minimum recommended tread depth is 3mm, this is the safe limit not the legal limit



I wonder who came up with this figure......

At a guess the manufacture. So if a tyre has 6 m/m of tread new then you can only use 50% of it.....
Nice selling feature.
So if you get 5K out of a tyre going to the legal limit you will only be able to get 3K before its deamed unsafe in their eyes.......
Mmm, nice increase in sale there.... Only a marketing person will have dreamed up that idea Laughing

I guess they will argue that its to do with the amount of water it can displace.

Perhaps they should then look at the design. So that a tyre performs safely down to the legal limits.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldbiker
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 06 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's 1.6mm for a car tyre and 1mm for a motorcycle tyre (over 75% of the width), and mopeds merely need visible tread.

Source Direct Gov - Vehicle maintenance, safety and security


I stand corrected,
____________________
It`s all powerfull white mans magic
https://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/tzrsteve/album%201/035.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 60.59 Kb