Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences? Reply with quote

Interested to hear about people's experiences with tyres with good grip from cold. Not warming up quickly, but good grip while still cold.
I'm specifically looking for objective reasoning, where people can report on which tyres their recommendations are better than in what circumstances etc.

So 'I stuck these conti's on it FELT so much more planted' won't really help me, but 'riding my friend's bike with these michelins on the same road I was able to get on the throttle a lot harder than my bike, despite them both being similar sports 600s' would be helpful Thumbs Up.

Nore sure there are as many sadly analytical as I am at times, but I'd like to hear from you if there are Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't have thought that there would be many tires that give decent grip from cold but most warm up quickish are quiet expensive anyway
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindweezy wrote:
i wouldn't have thought that there would be many tires that give decent grip from cold but most warm up quickish are quiet expensive anyway

Tut Tut you do remember what I mentioned before about how it's bad trying to offer advice when you had no real idea what you were talking about?
A good start might be to not offer me this bull Wink.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my Avon Azaro AV45/46. Never gave me any grief when cold even in the wet.

BT020s were close and contiforce also fine.

Dunlop D220s werent nearly as good cold.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirelli Diablo Corsa's i had on the zx6 always felt good from cold.

BT-014's i had on the same bike were awful cold or warm Laughing

Avon Viper Sports ( AV56 i think) i have on the zx6 at the moment have been brilliant from cold and suprisingly in the wet! (punted for them, even though everyone told me they were shite) Wink

Have had Michelin Pilot sports and Pilot power 2ct's on it aswell. Never really had chance to try either in the crappy winter weather though...
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT021's have been great for gunning it wet or dry from as soon as I set off.

Had them let go twice in the wet when they were new though (as would most in the same situations), but apart from that they were all good.

Only thing is they're a bit expensive for my liking.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roadsmarts fitted to my ZZR600 were absolutely sublime giving me reasonable levels of confidence even on short trips on cold damp morning tarmac. They didn't seem to work quite as well with the heavier Futura though.

Dare I say it, the avon road riders that came fitted to my GS seem to grip surprisingly well and I can't say I've knowingly slid the bike at all even from absolute stone cold. Too bad the feedback from the rear tyre is so awful, I can only guess the tyre carcass has too much flex in it? It just kind of wallows and feels like it's under inflated as you lean the bike over.

The worst tyre I've experienced cold was the BT 010 rear that came on my SP1, having a near high side moment when it completely let go pulling out of Jaspers onto Lambhay hill after parking up for 30 minutes was the final straw.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bunglehaze
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously really loved my Michelin Pilot Power 2CT until I took them off and replaced them with a new set of Metzeler Z6 Interacts. Not put them fully through their paces but in monsoon conditions straight after fitting I didnt get any slipping or ring puckering moments.

After scrubbing them in the seem to grip remarkably well in the cold as well as the wet.

leigh Smile
____________________
https://bikechatter.net
Motorcycle Products Reviews and News
06 - ZZR600 > 07 - ZX6R J1 > 08 - ZX6R J2 > 09 - ZX636 A1P > 11 - ZX10R C1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:24 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much it compares, but I've always fitted dunlop sportmax rrs to my bikes, and always been able to jump on and do some KD/wheelie/stoppie showboating straight at the local roundabouts with much more confidence than my peers. This is on everything from a zxr750 to rf900 with a few supermotos in between (and a GS500 for shits and giggles). We all ride each others bikes and I feel that these tyres are more suitable for jump on and go than the equivelent michelins, and much better than bt021s. I jump on a lot of other peoples bikes and I don't feel the same comfort straight up. Admittedly I have ridden mainly supermoto recently, but because of the weight I find it hard to get that much heat into them in shortish rides, which I guess helps you out.

The only thing I did find was the same tyres don't handle /that/(but still pretty good compared to some I've had) well in the wet, but I presume you don't want cold+wet+extreme angles without spending lots of money on gp tyres?

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bt 21s for me, i use to be able to leave work on a cold november/ december day and be able to clutch it up on the road outside with no trouble.
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:15 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked Diablo Corsas and the plain road Diablos. I'm tempted to try some Angel ST's for my next set...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:29 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt a big fan of the Diablos, but the BT090 are awesome from cold.

Then again, by the time you warm the bike up to a temp thats good for pushing the rubber, your tyres should be warm anyhows.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:37 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never had a tyre slip from cold when ive used ContiRoad Attack's
They also warm up pretty quickly, from my perspective anyway.
I would recommend them, but then again, ive got a BT021 set on my GS and they havent slipped on me yet either, though I am a bit more cautious with these tyres as ive not really used them before.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheer for the thoughts so far.

Be interested, in those that have recommended 021s, to hear how they compare to 020s, are they similarly good?

CaNsA_temporary: not really at this time of year. Gentle throttle with the wrong tyre (on my fairly powerful commuter) will see my tyre spinning up going down the short road my house is on. Further, my commute involves lots of traffic lights - so in properly cold conditions they will easily get back to the temp they started or lower (garage'd at night) by the time I next move.

Incidentally, unfortunately looking for superbike sizes (120F, 180/190R), should have mentioned before.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:41 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences? Reply with quote

G wrote:


Not sure there are as many sadly analytical as I am at times


Remove all doubt from your mind G...you are correct in your assumption Laughing

Ive never been stupid enough to ride with a need for lots of grip in a cold tyre Thumbs Up Get some tyre warmers mate,or just take it easy for the first 10 minutes like the rest of us do Laughing Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BT014s on my S4 also gave good grip from cold, there is a sweeping left hander about 20 second from my house I always find myself pushing hard than I should straight from the off, usually because I haven't ridden the thing in a while. The Diablo Strada have been brilliant on my TDM they have a good life span and I'm never spin the TDM rear in the dry but then the zx9 has a dump load more power so.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences? Reply with quote

max power wrote:

Get some tyre warmers mate,or just take it easy for the first 10 minutes like the rest of us do Laughing Wink

Then I stop at some traffic lights, the tyres go back to stone cold. As I accelerate a away, a car in the opposing queue of traffic pulls a u-turn.
I'm not too bothered by grip from the rear to be honest - some for pulling out of T-Junctions etc is useful, but front-end grip from cold is a very good 'safety net' that I'd much prefer to have.
It's quite possible to ride on tyre made of plastic if you ride appropriately, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be put in to ‘high pressure’ situations on them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my modest selection of tyre experience my B016s are definately a good grip out hte bag tyre.

but then i choose teh sensible option and dont hammer it the moment i leave the house in the morning Wink
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences? Reply with quote

G wrote:
max power wrote:

Get some tyre warmers mate,or just take it easy for the first 10 minutes like the rest of us do Laughing Wink

Then I stop at some traffic lights, the tyres go back to stone cold. As I accelerate a away, a car in the opposing queue of traffic pulls a u-turn.
I'm not too bothered by grip from the rear to be honest - some for pulling out of T-Junctions etc is useful, but front-end grip from cold is a very good 'safety net' that I'd much prefer to have.
It's quite possible to ride on tyre made of plastic if you ride appropriately, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be put in to ‘high pressure’ situations on them.


I see what you`re saying.
Its just another reason to add to my long list of excuses for not bothering to ride this winter Wink Temperatures are due to drop to sub zero next week and snow has been forecast so i wish you (and everyone else) the best of luck out there this year.

I was going to say something sarcastic to you in relation to some of the things you said to me when i told you about the grip issues i had with the 6rr in 2008....but i`ll save that for another day Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:02 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences? Reply with quote

With decent tyres, there's no big problem - just as with cars, if you chuck cheap chinese tyres on your car, even if you've got fancy traction control and ABS (though much less so if you do, but of course you can get ABS bikes) then it's going to get a bit scary in poor conditions.
Even with good tyres on my car, a little bit of sillyness can still lead to a lot of sideways-ness.
The situation I describe with the U-turning car can still just as easily happen if you’re in a car, especially if you’re accelerating harder than average from the lights, which other cars may not expect. Maybe you’re less likely to be hurt, but you’re also less likely to be able to avoid the situation and have a whole load more hassle generally, I’d say.

I haven't bought a new-model tyre for a long time, so trying to get an idea of how the current versions compare with tyres I ‘know’.

Also be interested to hear how 014/1016s compare to 010s.
As before, definitely interested to hear from those that can give a comparison of tyres in similar conditions where one the limits have actually been ‘tested’ Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thewildblue
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a slightly lower pressure for the winter so they warm up a little quicker maybe ?

I run roadsmarts on the versys, going out at 5am each morning no probs whatsoever......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 010, 012 and 014 on the S4 getting 016's next. The only thing I have noticed is progressively the center of the tire lasted longer. But TBF it has been ages inbetween riding with them I haven't had a set of BT010's for about 3 years I think
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that stick out in my mind for never letting go even from cold were Standard Pirelli Diablos.
____________________
[Current Bikes - GSXR-750 K5 & C90-97 ] [Previous Bikes: Runner 125, YBR 125, GS500, Bandit 600, Hornet 600, ZX6R-99, C90-99, R1-99, XT600E-04, GSXR-750 K4, CRF250L '16]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Tyres with good grip from cold - your experiences? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Even with good tyres on my car, a little bit of sillyness can still lead to a lot of sideways-ness.


Tut tut...naughty naughty...you should take some of your own advice for a change and "ride/drive within the limits for the road conditions and your skill level" Very Happy
Once theres frost snow water and ice on the roads who in their right mind does silly stuff?

G wrote:
The situation I describe with the U-turning car can still just as easily happen if you’re in a car, especially if you’re accelerating harder than average from the lights, which other cars may not expect. Maybe you’re less likely to be hurt, but you’re also less likely to be able to avoid the situation and have a whole load more hassle generally, I’d say..


1) In bad road conditions its common sense to NOT accelerate hard.Not just from traffic lights,but anywhere.If theres side roads and other traffic around you should adopt a higher state of road awareness and be more careful.

2) Again i must refer back to the advice you usually give to others about how to avoid getting into situations.If youre driving in a manner thats appropriate for the road that day,99% of situations can be avoided.

Dont want to take your post in a different direction so ill shut up now and let you get the comparisons youre after.
If you rode gingerley and sensibly in bad conditions it wouldnt really matter if your tyres were cold or not.Even when warm,theyre not going to make any difference when you go across some ice,snow or sleet. Thumbs Up
Stop having fun,and just commute from A-B and you should be ok no matter what temp your tyres are.


Last edited by Devils Advocate on 10:42 - 09 Dec 2009; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've always liked Diablo Corsas and the plain road Diablos. I'm tempted to try some Angel ST's for my next set...


I should just add that with the Diablos and Diablo corsas I could just get on and ride in pretty much any conditions, whereas I've ridden on Bridgestones and Dunlops, and neither of those were as good.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.06 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.72 Kb