Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

Again I think this may be the 3rd time I've made a thread like this.

It usually comes after a week or so working day shifts and I have been commuting into London at the shitty times 8-9/5-6


There are a few things that fuck me of with other riders in London. The main being people who filter slowly and do not let others past. We all filter at different speeds and usually that speed has nothing to do with the bike, the otherday I moved over to let a Vespa past me (how many man points do I lose?)

So lets get this clear, if there is somebody behind you, that generally means they have caught you up, if they are still behind you a little while later (30secs or so) that means they are probably faster than you. If this happens move over and let them through.

Simples.

Do not sit there oblivious to it, do not keep checking your mirrors to see if they are still there and DO NOT (Capitals because this is worst for me) look in your mirrors see other bike pin it for a few seconds and then check again to see if you are still there, some people (usually on sports bikes) will do this 5/10 times in a row.

That mainly applies to filtering on motorways/A roads with multiple lanes. My usual responce is a couple of blips of the throttle or a few (friendly) toots of the horn. If you give me the finger I will get past you by any means with little regards for your safety, if I'm stuck behind you for as length of time you lose any courtesy I would normally show a fellow biker, and I will have little worries about undertaking you and maybe cutting it fine when I get back to lanes 2/3.

The weird thing is the people who mostly do what I have said and move over are people on L plates, the problems come with sports bikes who sem to have an inferiority complex and big tourers (Usaully BMW/Honda) who seem so stubborn that there speed is the most appropriate.


Right step 2,

Do not block gaps, the number of times I'm stuck behind somebody who will block a gap, especially if they aren't very confident. It is incredibily infuriating sitting behind somebody who has a gap infront of them that they will not go through, if you are slightly concerned about the gap move over and let other people through, obviously if it is stop start traffic this can be understandable but in flowing traffic there is no excuse.

Step C Razz

When coming into the filtering lane make sure you trebble check there is nothing coming especially if you are coming on at 90degrees and it is hard to see. I get enough cars pulling out on me I don;t need bikes doing it to.

I would say now I'm faster than 75% of people at filtering, used to be faster than about 90% but realised filtering between lanes 2/3 that those sort of speeds 50+mph on the A13 would get me killed, I now average 30/35 along the chocker sections of the A13.



Anyway if you don't go along with what I've said and happen to be on the A13/commerial road/street you may get a big angry bloke on a TDM cutting you up and your shouting at you.


Much love
Mr. Green
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Darth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally i am glad i live in Aberdeen. Sounds like a war zone down there with you leading the charge! Shocked
____________________
Harold_Shand wrote: I suppose it's like anything, you get your fingers burned when you start out, you learn from it and eventually become a complete arsehole about the whole thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Again I think this may be the 3rd time I've made a thread like this.

It usually comes after a week or so working day shifts and I have been commuting into London at the shitty times 8-9/5-6


There are a few things that fuck me of with other riders in London. The main being people who filter slowly and do not let others past. We all filter at different speeds and usually that speed has nothing to do with the bike, the otherday I moved over to let a Vespa past me (how many man points do I lose?)

So lets get this clear, if there is somebody behind you, that generally means they have caught you up, if they are still behind you a little while later (30secs or so) that means they are probably faster than you. If this happens move over and let them through.

Simples.

Do not sit there oblivious to it, do not keep checking your mirrors to see if they are still there and DO NOT (Capitals because this is worst for me) look in your mirrors see other bike pin it for a few seconds and then check again to see if you are still there, some people (usually on sports bikes) will do this 5/10 times in a row.

That mainly applies to filtering on motorways/A roads with multiple lanes. My usual responce is a couple of blips of the throttle or a few (friendly) toots of the horn. If you give me the finger I will get past you by any means with little regards for your safety, if I'm stuck behind you for as length of time you lose any courtesy I would normally show a fellow biker, and I will have little worries about undertaking you and maybe cutting it fine when I get back to lanes 2/3.

The weird thing is the people who mostly do what I have said and move over are people on L plates, the problems come with sports bikes who sem to have an inferiority complex and big tourers (Usaully BMW/Honda) who seem so stubborn that there speed is the most appropriate.


Right step 2,

Do not block gaps, the number of times I'm stuck behind somebody who will block a gap, especially if they aren't very confident. It is incredibily infuriating sitting behind somebody who has a gap infront of them that they will not go through, if you are slightly concerned about the gap move over and let other people through, obviously if it is stop start traffic this can be understandable but in flowing traffic there is no excuse.

Step C Razz

When coming into the filtering lane make sure you trebble check there is nothing coming especially if you are coming on at 90degrees and it is hard to see. I get enough cars pulling out on me I don;t need bikes doing it to.

I would say now I'm faster than 75% of people at filtering, used to be faster than about 90% but realised filtering between lanes 2/3 that those sort of speeds 50+mph on the A13 would get me killed, I now average 30/35 along the chocker sections of the A13.



Anyway if you don't go along with what I've said and happen to be on the A13/commerial road/street you may get a big angry bloke on a TDM cutting you up and your shouting at you.


Much love
Mr. Green


yes riding god... we will do what you say




wanker Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main one I get stuck with (since my commute traffic is slow but theres lots of room) is the 'Oh I didnt know I wanted to race to work until I saw you behind me' brigade.

I'll travel to work at my comfortable pace, come up behind a bike going slower, give him chance to move, he sees me and suddenly decides he's valentio rossi and theres no way Im getting past.

These are only second place however, first place goes to the utter wankers who see you a mile ahead of them and take every gap and chance they can until they are a foot from your back wheel, so you let them past (as is the natural order of things). Problem is the limp wristed bastard can only chase people and has no idea how to make progress otherwise so ends up holding YOU up Rolling Eyes

Some people need to leave their pride in the garage and remember we are all just trying to get to work Laughing
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

Dam0n wrote:


yes riding god... we will do what you say


wanker Rolling Eyes


chris-red wrote:
I moved over to let a Vespa past me


Clearly,

Fuck off,
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

Dam0n wrote:

yes riding god... we will do what you say

wanker Rolling Eyes



chris is just stating what should be common sense, clearly you should take note as you seem to be lacking it
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're that bothered, go round the person slowing you down Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do but filtering between lane 1/2 is far more difficult due to there being more trucks and what not taking up the space.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
Dam0n wrote:

yes riding god... we will do what you say

wanker Rolling Eyes



chris is just stating what should be common sense, clearly you should take note as you seem to be lacking it


I'm not too sure how my comment shows me to lack common sense...

But anyway, reading that thread to me seemed like there was alot of emphasis on the fact that Chris views anyone who might impede his extra fast progress to be far below him in riding skill. He also admitted to putting other bikers in danger if he feels they are not doing as he wants. At the end of the day, no one is perfect. Even you Chris, god forbid is not perfect 100% of the time.

Sorry, it just winds me up when people, for a want of a better word "big themselves up" whilst put other people down for not riding to their specifications. At the end of the day we all face the same dangers out there. We should be courteous to each other, even if that means being 10 seconds late to work...


Last edited by Damon on 21:43 - 10 Dec 2009; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, When filtering my eyes are glued to the road/traffic in front and i don't give a toss whats behind me.
I only ever notice other bikes behind when i stop.


So i have no idea if they are going faster then me. It could simply be that they have only caught me because i have had to stop at the lights.

Sorry but you are comming across jut the same as any BMW driver.

I rule the road and stuff the rest of you.

Remember we all have to live on the roads together. Two worngs do not make a right..... They tend to make a tangled mess in the road.

Take a deep breath and relax. If you are having to rush then set of earlier and give yourself more time. Karma
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

R32 wrote:
Sounds like a war zone down there with you leading the charge! Shocked

Indeed, great fun it is Very Happy.

I don't tend to get too stressed out with it all, but rarely come across other bikers causing big problems on my current commute. Was stuck behind a DR600 supermoto for a bit the other day, but he did let me through (though on a really tight bit with oncoming traffic, that I then felt compelled to filter down anyway.)
Had a couple of cars roll onto my feet in tight traffic, did consider reporting one, but didn't the other as she did look a bit scared as I banged on her bonnet to get to move back off my foot. 'Sall good fun Smile.

Dam0n; I took it that he viewed people impeding his progress as filtering below the speed he was and rude for not moving over.
I'd tend to agree on the 'rude' bit, though I wouldn't go as far to get past. Oh and I believe his whole post was about being courteous to each other, if you read it Smile. I didn't see him complaining about those riding slowly who were moved aside, he was only putting those down that continually impeded his progress.
Seen plenty of similar rants about car drivers blocking bikes.

Quote:
So i have no idea if they are going faster then me. It could simply be that they have only caught me because i have had to stop at the lights.

You do pull in front to let other bikers up to the front of lights, yes? Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still at war with the cars rather than the other filterers.

A frequent hate is the number of drivers that, presumably antagonised by me having filtered up to edge ahead of them at the lights, see fit to jump the change - leaving me with a risky take off. Perhaps buying a louder or more intimidating bike would keep them in line, though I doubt it.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You musta been behind me on the way home tonight Laughing
Some little wanker upstart was, that's for sure.

Anyway, fuck off.
Here's what annoys me:

* Riders who think if they rev at you, that you will move over immediately.

* Riders who think if you do not move over, that you are not considering moving over, when in fact what you are doing is WAITING FOR A SAFE PLACE to pull into a gap and let them past.

* Riders who insist on sitting behind you and revving you instead of moving to one of the other lanes.

* Riders who do all of the above, and then you catch up to them at the next set of traffic lights anyway.

I spend most of my time :
* (on the A13) ... between the slow lane and the middle lane
* (along the embankment) ... filtering between the actual traffic rather than following such so-called boy racers into the bicycle lane. Oh, thats very macho of you, with your zippy bikes, going down the bicycle lane - NOT. The bicycle lane is for bicycles and poofters. PROPER riders filter between traffic. And its probably illegal, if not dangerous.

I only use the bicycle lane when the other parts are REALLY jam packed. Otherwise I take my chances filtering between the lanes where I am supposed to be.

There are reasons for this, and they relate to the following:

* twats in cars having pulled out on me without indicating (three tonight, about average)
* twats changing lanes at the last minute and THEN indicating (oh thanks for that)
* twats in cars having knocked me off and broken my bike
* twats walking out in front of you between traffic without looking
* twats opening car doors
* twats in cars having pulled out on my friends and killed them

So if someone's going slow in front of you (and no, I don't have L plates, and I don't check my mirrors all the time, cos one is wonky, and its pointless, and no, I HAVEN'T got a fucking Ipod in and I can fucking hear you behind me) ... then find another way, if you're so fucking smart and fast and can get thru it a quicker way. I'll be happy for you when you get to the graveyard faster than me.

Otherwise, for gods sake, get a grip.

It's rush hour and its London, one of the biggest cities in the world.

Everybody hates it, and hates everybody else Rolling Eyes
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Thom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living up in Durham i never have need to filter on busy roads, just in the town. Since moving down to Staffordshire i have realised i need to filter alot more, particularly on the M18/M1 (Or it may be the M62, i have no idea...). I filtered home a few weeks ago and it didnt feel smooth or particularly safe, furthermore i found myself concnetrating ahead so hard mirrors wernt getting checked.

A few miles later i found another ER-5 behind me, i was seriously concerned i'd cut him up in my haphazard filtering and felt very guilty.

So, yes i agree we should filter with thoughts for other riders, however remember there are noobs like me too who are still very much learning the ropes.

(P.s on the divvy i had no problem filtering however the ER5 is alot different)
____________________
Current Bike: 1996 Yamaha TRX850 (The Japanese-Ducati One).
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to make progress faster than me then I let them by - as long as they're not aggressive with it.

If they are aggressive and put ME at risk then they won't make ANY progress without the help of a paramedic - SIMPLES! Laughing
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
So if someone's going slow in front of you (and no, I don't have L plates, and I don't check my mirrors all the time, cos one is wonky, and its pointless, and no, I HAVEN'T got a fucking Ipod in and I can fucking hear you behind me) ... then find another way, if you're so fucking smart and fast and can get thru it a quicker way. I'll be happy for you when you get to the graveyard faster than me.


I did. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased for you, dear Razz

I bet you didn't use the bicycle lane either Laughing
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
You musta been behind me on the way home tonight Laughing
Some little wanker upstart was, that's for sure.

Anyway, fuck off.
Here's what annoys me:

* Riders who think if they rev at you, that you will move over immediately.

* Riders who think if you do not move over, that you are not considering moving over, when in fact what you are doing is WAITING FOR A SAFE PLACE to pull into a gap and let them past.

* Riders who insist on sitting behind you and revving you instead of moving to one of the other lanes.

* Riders who do all of the above, and then you catch up to them at the next set of traffic lights anyway.

I spend most of my time :
* (on the A13) ... between the slow lane and the middle lane
* (along the embankment) ... filtering between the actual traffic rather than following such so-called boy racers into the bicycle lane. Oh, thats very macho of you, with your zippy bikes, going down the bicycle lane - NOT. The bicycle lane is for bicycles and poofters. PROPER riders filter between traffic. And its probably illegal, if not dangerous.

I only use the bicycle lane when the other parts are REALLY jam packed. Otherwise I take my chances filtering between the lanes where I am supposed to be.

There are reasons for this, and they relate to the following:

* twats in cars having pulled out on me without indicating (three tonight, about average)
* twats changing lanes at the last minute and THEN indicating (oh thanks for that)
* twats in cars having knocked me off and broken my bike
* twats walking out in front of you between traffic without looking
* twats opening car doors
* twats in cars having pulled out on my friends and killed them

So if someone's going slow in front of you (and no, I don't have L plates, and I don't check my mirrors all the time, cos one is wonky, and its pointless, and no, I HAVEN'T got a fucking Ipod in and I can fucking hear you behind me) ... then find another way, if you're so fucking smart and fast and can get thru it a quicker way. I'll be happy for you when you get to the graveyard faster than me.

Otherwise, for gods sake, get a grip.

It's rush hour and its London, one of the biggest cities in the world.

Everybody hates it, and hates everybody else Rolling Eyes


Fair enough, I give people ample time and space but if you are stuck behind someone commuting at half the speed you want to it can really wind you up. I have no problem following someone for a minute or 2 till they notice me and/or find somewhere to pull in any long then I might give a blip of the throttle if they ignore that thats when I might try the horn or a lane 1/2 undertake. If you where the one I was stuck behind then you are a terrible inconsiderate person seeing as there was at least 10 other bikes stuck behind this comutter 500 going about 15/20 throught the traffic. I went up lane 1/2 and got in front after waiting for about a minute you realise that you are not going to get through when you can't even see the front bike!
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

I rarely leave lane 1/2, because I know I am likely irritating other riders. I'm only likely to be in one of the other lanes if I have been forced over there, and I pretty much soon get back "where I belong" Laughing

chris-red wrote:

Right step 2,

Do not block gaps, the number of times I'm stuck behind somebody who will block a gap, especially if they aren't very confident. It is incredibily infuriating sitting behind somebody who has a gap infront of them that they will not go through, if you are slightly concerned about the gap move over and let other people through, obviously if it is stop start traffic this can be understandable but in flowing traffic there is no excuse.


There is usually a reason why I sit at a gap, if I do (occasionally been known).

* The gap is smaller from the front rider's point of view than the one at the back.

* There have been several times when I have tried to squeeze through :
=> the very large lorry on the right moved and brushed those HUGE big wheel nuts against my leg, causing me to fall off/ding the car on the left
=> the white van man on the right cut me off and left me with nowhere to go
=> the woman in the Merc on the left ran over my foot at the same time as the man in the Volvo on the right squished my leg up against the side of my bike/his car cos the gap was too small (and my legs possibly too fat)
=> my handlebars got jammed because I was over cocky and not only did I look STUPID when I got stuck there, but when the cars moved in order for me to get through, it knocked me off balance
(not that I am ADMITTING to that having happened, it MAY have happened, but nobody on this forum saw it happen, so possibly, theologically and philosophically speaking, much like a tree falling in a forest when nobody is looking, it may not have happened) Shocked


* No, you cannot get a bus through there (although I often shout this at people with L plates myself Laughing )
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my oringinal post I honestly can't see anything thats that bad about it Maybe the last couple of lines could provoke some reaction but the rest IMO is pure common sense.

I've said check your mirrors and try not to hold people up, don't block gaps and check when coming into the possible path of other bikes.

I've said I don't mind cutting people up who give me the finger when I try to get past (I was stuck behind that guy for about 4 miles which is along time going at 15/20 mph) or saying that people that are generally being inconsiderate I will not be considerate to them.

If me saying I get angry stuck behind other people and I'm faster than 75% of other filters if that annoys you then Middle Finger Middle Finger basically.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Chris's filtering rant. Guidelines for riders Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I rarely leave lane 1/2, because I know I am likely irritating other riders. I'm only likely to be in one of the other lanes if I have been forced over there, and I pretty much soon get back "where I belong" Laughing

chris-red wrote:

Right step 2,

Do not block gaps, the number of times I'm stuck behind somebody who will block a gap, especially if they aren't very confident. It is incredibily infuriating sitting behind somebody who has a gap infront of them that they will not go through, if you are slightly concerned about the gap move over and let other people through, obviously if it is stop start traffic this can be understandable but in flowing traffic there is no excuse.


There is usually a reason why I sit at a gap, if I do (occasionally been known).

* The gap is smaller from the front rider's point of view than the one at the back.

* There have been several times when I have tried to squeeze through :
=> the very large lorry on the right moved and brushed those HUGE big wheel nuts against my leg, causing me to fall off/ding the car on the left
=> the white van man on the right cut me off and left me with nowhere to go
=> the woman in the Merc on the left ran over my foot at the same time as the man in the Volvo on the right squished my leg up against the side of my bike/his car cos the gap was too small (and my legs possibly too fat)
=> my handlebars got jammed because I was over cocky and not only did I look STUPID when I got stuck there, but when the cars moved in order for me to get through, it knocked me off balance
(not that I am ADMITTING to that having happened, it MAY have happened, but nobody on this forum saw it happen, so possibly, theologically and philosophically speaking, much like a tree falling in a forest when nobody is looking, it may not have happened) Shocked


* No, you cannot get a bus through there (although I often shout this at people with L plates myself Laughing )


So if you can't get through it doesn't mean the person behind can't, I didn't think I could get through a gap so moved over because there was a sports bike with folded in mirrors behind me and he wizzed through, It's all about judgement, usually if somebody is pratting about by a gap, I give a blip if they move I have never not fitted through that gap. You can tell when i gap is big enough for a barge.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of what you say, I agree with.
Its very infuriating.
Even I get stuck behind people that I think "come on LUV, get a move on" ... and in the same way that you have suggested ways of improving riding pleasure for the entire riding population of London, I agree with many of them, when they are safe and practical.

Fortunately, my blood pressure appears to be perfectly normal.

It only ever gets raised when people on foot and in cars/trucks/vans do dangerous things to jeopardise my or other riders' journeys.

Other riders acting like twats just generate my scorn.
I told someone (in a Merc with diplomatic plates) whilst sitting at traffic lights this evening that if they cut me up once more, I would get off the bike and kick them in the balls so hard that they would end up HAVING a cunt instead of just acting like one.

I was slightly cross Laughing
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Looking at my oringinal post I honestly can't see anything thats that bad about it Maybe the last couple of lines could provoke some reaction but the rest IMO is pure common sense

Thumbs Up

Don't see why people are being so defensive about the subject, seems pretty reasonable to let someone faster through rather than holding them up.

Not letting someone past is the same mentality as people who sit at 70mph in the outside lane refusing to move over because they're going fast enough so don't see why should anyone else might want or need to go faster. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Don't see why people are being so defensive about the subject, seems pretty reasonable to let someone faster through rather than holding them up.


Because people believe whatever they do is correct and anyone with a different view is dangerous. Really is that simple.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than being defensive, I was explaining why I ride slower, essentially too many years of falling off, as well as a couple of years where I actually lost my nerve to ride in London AT ALL, due to idiot drivers pulling out on me.

Point I'm making (dunno about others) is that I usually DO move over, cos I know I'm slow, and I'm holding up other riders who want to go fast.

But Chris's post seems so VEHEMENT, as if in his own mind, he believes that we really are doing it on purpose, when in fact we're not. There are perfectly valid reasons.

It's no major effort, if you are a faster more confident rider, to overtake without jeopardising the other (slower) rider when it is safe to do so. To jeopardise the other rider and "punish" them for being slower than you is the ignorant action, whereas the other rider is more likely to be simply being careful (or indeed nervous), rather than ignorant or obstructive.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.


Last edited by hellkat on 23:14 - 10 Dec 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 152.81 Kb