Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


NSR 125 - I'm buying one and need to know a few things

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: NSR 125 - I'm buying one and need to know a few things Reply with quote

I'm potentially buying an NSR 125 from 1998 at a very good price with only 11k miles on the clock but with 12 previous owners. How plausible does this seem to everyone here?

I've test ridden the bike (round the block a couple of times) and it seemed fine to me, but twice round the block is not enough to get a full picture.

Before I purchase, the current owner is allowing me to take the bike to a mechanic to be fully checked over. I trust the owner completely but I obviously have some small doubts in my mind. He himself is adept with mechanical engineering and says he has checked over the bike a lot, and as I said, my instincts tell me that he is a genuine guy, but you never know nowadays. The bike could be Cat D for all he knows.

Am I doing the right thing by getting it checked before I buy?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, yes.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 08 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too unreasonable for a learner bike. May have had problems in the past and been fixed too.
Incidentally, I removed your other post - please only post the same post in one section Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you know how to keep it well maintained you can't go wrong i'm loving my nsr but its got faults from the previous owner but the engine is solid and does a good 90 gps speed as well
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Asimo
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about it being a possible cat d then get it hpi'd.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asimo wrote:
If you're worried about it being a possible cat d then get it hpi'd.


Done it.

The mileage on the HPI is different from the mileage on the clock!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How different? Obviously the mileage on the HPI comes from instances where mileage is recorded (MOTs?) and may be subject to some error if the person taking it down just rounded it off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:08 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
How different? Obviously the mileage on the HPI comes from instances where mileage is recorded (MOTs?) and may be subject to some error if the person taking it down just rounded it off.


The clocks say 11,000ish

the HPI says 29,000 in 2006!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards the HPI being correct. Someone has changed the clocks of a 12 year old bike and is hoping someone a bit gullable will not notice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

125s are the sort of bike where the clocks are more likely to be changed due to a smash.

I wouldn't touch the bike - or at least if i did would be very aware that someone has been less than honest along the way. And that it's done a much higher mileage than claimed.

Good on you for doing a HPI, not enough people do it imo.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use it as a barganing point knock some cash off then get the engine a full rebuild.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to knock it down and have managed to get £200 off the original asking price...but still not sure yet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tvr321
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you knocked £200 off, but how much was the original asking price?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 09 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get it for sub-700, put it that way.

The fairings have been taken off because they're apparently in bad shape, but I haven't seen them, so it's half naked.

The engine does actually run pretty well and the bike starts first time. Although I have NO idea when it was last rebuilt, if at all. He said himself that he looked at the engine and cleaned it all out, but that's just his word, and I'm not that gullible tbh.

My worries are mainly concerning what will happen when I come to sell it myself. I'm obviously not going to lie, and I feel this will deter me making anything decent back on it.

I'm also concerned about the paucity of the documentation...he only has his MOT and no others. After 12 owners I think this is really bad...although I lay no fault on this guy.

There is no rear left footpeg either, which is annoying.

Other than that the bike is generally in good nick. It's just the ugly black/yellow coloured one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Wobbly Orange
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:54 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2001 NSR (In 2004) for £750. It had damaged fairings and bent forks but was otherwise good. I bought a second NSR from a scrapyard for £80 and took the best parts off both and created a fully functioning machine with less then 9000 miles. Point is I think you can get more off.
____________________
People tell me I am lovely. How wrong they are!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:10 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wobbly Orange wrote:
I bought a 2001 NSR (In 2004) for £750. It had damaged fairings and bent forks but was otherwise good. I bought a second NSR from a scrapyard for £80 and took the best parts off both and created a fully functioning machine with less then 9000 miles. Point is I think you can get more off.


I've been told by numerous people I should pay no more than between 300-500 depending on the state of the bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd walk away, personally.

I sold my perfectly intact 2000 NSR for £650. It just had a mildly leaking fork seal.

If the guy has taken £200 off then surely they knew it had issues or they would have priced it accordingly in the first place. Fairings don't just crumble because they are 10 years old - they get assisted when a tarmac interface occurs.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

After consulting the mighty Keith and heeding the words of many experienced riders on here...I've decided that I'm just gonna get a cheap CG (again). Do my A2 on my own i.e. with no further training...sell the bike and go and get a bigger one. I figure I can do this by february.

The CG is a light bike and one that I know quite well.

How about this, is it worth it?

https://www.gumtree.com/london/42/50733442.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbiker0507 wrote:
Ok.

After consulting the mighty Keith and heeding the words of many experienced riders on here...I've decided that I'm just gonna get a cheap CG (again). Do my A2 on my own i.e. with no further training...sell the bike and go and get a bigger one. I figure I can do this by february.

The CG is a light bike and one that I know quite well.

How about this, is it worth it?

https://www.gumtree.com/london/42/50733442.html


Would be a little concerned that he says he changed the oil every 1-2000 miles. Should be every 750-1000, ideally. With 28K on the clock, I predict major engine grief before too long.

On the up side, it looks like it's been taken care of cosmetically, and you can't buy much for 400 quid these days.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure?
The interweb suggests no less than 2500 miles.
My 650cc (or so they claim) 'most powerful production single' managed 3000 mile service intervals on not that much oil, so 750 miles seems a bit harsh for a lowly tuned 125cc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys must be talking like winter prices because in scotland edinburgh area i've seen them going for like 1200 up to about 1.8k at mint condition
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1200 for a 1998 NSR125? You must be taking the piss, or only looking in dealer's windows. I'll be selling my 97 CBR6 for around that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
£1200 for a 1998 NSR125? You must be taking the piss, or only looking in dealer's windows. I'll be selling my 97 CBR6 for around that.


nah private trade prices and some where like 02-04 mods as well in fairness
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 2001 CG today for £500.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

owell lol congrats
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 123.58 Kb