Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Battery Charger

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Battery Charger Reply with quote

Hi folks, hope everyone has had a good xmas. I'm looking for a decent battery charger for my Varadero 125 and was hoping someone could recommend a good decent priced one, also it ok to charge the battery on the bike or is it best disconnected and charged?

Hope everyone has a good new year and thanks for all the help in 2009.

Very Happy
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd disconnect the negative terminal first, but its ok to leave the battery in the frame when charging.

I'd advise against a big car battery charger as they can frazzle the little batteries.

something like this if your on a budget:
https://www.commsandsound.com/skytronic-plug-in-6-12v-500ma-lead-acid-battery-charger-23531-0.html

or this if your a bit more flush:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Accumate-Optimate-6v-%2f-12v-Battery-charger-NEW_W0QQitemZ260504896962QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=7104014a1250a0e205348fe4fd4f6f92
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

funmonkee
Super Spammer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bike magazines; They frequently have subscription offers with a battery charger as the gift Karma
____________________
**** Don't ride faster than your angel can fly Get this Free Space
The democratically elected Mod of the Scottish Section - The Peoples Choice[b]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

andybon
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got one of these.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350286879130&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Got a lead with it to screw a lead to the top of the battery, with a connector on the end so you don't have to keep taking the seat on and off to use it.
____________________
Designed by a Genius. Built by a Craftsman. Ridden by a t**t
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I like the look of that.
My charger just the other day gave up and died leaving me with a dead battery I had to jump from the car. It was one of these, I really liked it as it was cheap and simply a case of sticking it on the battery overnight every week or so.

Now I've got an urgent decision to make, if I don't buy a charger by the end of this weekend I'll have to jump my bike again on Monday morning to get to work which is a pain. But the only one I've found I'll be able to buy from the shops so far is this from Maplins, not as good as andybon's though and nearly the same price! Rolling Eyes


Talking of batteries and chargers, do you think it's normal for a bike battery to need charging if it isn't used for 3-4 days at a time...? Question
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

andybon wrote:
I've just got one of these.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350286879130&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Got a lead with it to screw a lead to the top of the battery, with a connector on the end so you don't have to keep taking the seat on and off to use it.


Well after much deliberating I've just ordered one of these too! They look good and I can't see a cheaper one anywhere else that does as much. Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:

Talking of batteries and chargers, do you think it's normal for a bike battery to need charging if it isn't used for 3-4 days at a time...? Question


No. New battery time! Splash out on an AGM battery if you have the cash as they are less vulnerable to the elements.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
Talking of batteries and chargers, do you think it's normal for a bike battery to need charging if it isn't used for 3-4 days at a time...? Question


Should last much longer than that. Do you have an alarm fitted or heated grips?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andybon, looks perfect so have just bought 1. As I wont be using the bike much in this weather I thought it wise to have one just in case. I've been using the bike when I can and the rest of the time its tucked up in the garage, so far no problems with the battery going flat but you never know so thanks for the recomendation. Thumbs Up
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andybon
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great peice of kit for the money. Mine was completely dead on the ZX6, Then my battery charger decided to die on me I got that optimizer. Brought the battery back from the dead and should keep it with a bit of charge in it for a while.
____________________
Designed by a Genius. Built by a Craftsman. Ridden by a t**t
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
andybon wrote:
I've just got one of these.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350286879130&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Got a lead with it to screw a lead to the top of the battery, with a connector on the end so you don't have to keep taking the seat on and off to use it.


Well after much deliberating I've just ordered one of these too! They look good and I can't see a cheaper one anywhere else that does as much. Laughing Thumbs Up


Let me know pls how it goes with it.

Mark
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
Should last much longer than that. Do you have an alarm fitted or heated grips?


No alarm but I do have heated grips fitted, I've never had them on whilst the bike isn't running though - and I'm anal about checking so I can guarantee this has never happened! Laughing Although I know having them means they are likely to drain the battery a little more anyway, I didn't think anything should make the battery die after 3-4 days of none use... Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.8 Kb