Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


buuuuurrrr toooo cold

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

turnh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: buuuuurrrr toooo cold Reply with quote

Went for a little ride out today as it was the first time in ages its been dry. However it was a tad chilly. I have Thermal windstopper trousers and some Frank Thomas trousers which work well. I also wear a baselayer and then another layer and a windstopper followed by an Alpinestar jacket. These seem to work okay as well. The problem is my feet....I wear Sidi Vertigo boots and my feet are so cold. I have tried thick socks with a liner under them and they are so cold and painful (I nearly cried but then I am a girl). Does anyone have the same problem or any tips. I also have this problem with my hands, well my right hand in particular as well even though I have winter gloves (Tuzo TZG 5)
____________________
turnh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My body rarely gets cold but my hands always do. Does your bike have a fairing?
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

turnh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't really only part...Its a Honda Hornet
____________________
turnh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: buuuuurrrr toooo cold Reply with quote

For your hands, a pair of liner gloves is a good start, but ideally heated grips and decent bar-muffs should leave you with hands that never suffer - I also find this helps my arms stay warmer too.
For the feet, windproof socks might be a start, but I'd also consider heated socks - available on ebay etc. Rarely suffer much from cold feet myself and not sure I'd be bothered with the hassle of heated socks for shorter journeys. Some better boots designed to be generally warmer would definitely help - I use goretex army boots for winter riding - think I've got vertigos (got two sets of Sidi race boots, not 100% which) and seem to remember they do let a fair bit of air through.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent pair of bar muffs are a good solution to the cold hands problem. They look naff but who cares about looks if it stops frostbite Wink

Course, some of us are just hard as nails Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

turnh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very right...my husband is fine....its just me but as I said I am a girl....or maybe I could use the excuse of not having a Fairing (My husband has a SV650 which has full fairing).
____________________
turnh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairing doesn't make a massive difference to hands/feet on an SV650 I'm afraid Smile.
Believe it's fairly well-known that women do actually tend to get colder, especially at the extremities (I'm sure there's several dirty jokes in there somewhere Smile ).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

turnh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is very true.....

Its such a shame because I just can't go out in this weather because my feet are so painful and numb. It was very difficult riding back as I had no control over changing gear or the throttle.......Quite frightening really......I thought I might try some plastic bags over my feet see if that helps......
I have just ordered some Windstopper socks so hopefully that may help.
Trouble with the gloves is they just fit and I can't really get much under them...
____________________
turnh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the cash, Tucano Urbano muffs will probably sort all your cold-hand worries. I'd definitely start on more sensible boots for your feet - second hand if you haven't got the cash or don't want to spend it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear more clothes.

Your body takes heat from your extremities to keep your body warm. If you make more effort to keep your body warm, your hands and feet wont feel as cold.

So all the jumpers, fleeces etc you can wear and still bend your arms, and ski trousers over bike trousers.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DMan
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you've got the cash, Tucano Urbano muffs will probably sort all your cold-hand worries. I'd definitely start on more sensible boots for your feet - second hand if you haven't got the cash or don't want to spend it.


I kinda tempted by those Urbano muffs, especially the Shark or Bear ones. Maybe it will be like a reverse psychology; "look at that poof with the hand muffs... hey wait.... they're like little sharks, how cool!"

What you think Wink
____________________
2001 Hornet 600 - "Faster than yellow" Blue; Current: 1998 Yammy FZS 600 "Fazer" Black
You show me how to control a wild fucking gypsy and I'll show you how to control an unhinged, pig-feeding gangster.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wearing "normal" Sidi Vertigo boots then most of them are vented. If however you're wearing Sidi Vertigo (aka Mega) Gore boots then you shouldn't be so cold with two pairs of socks.

I ride 40 miles to work at 80-90 mph in the current weather and my feet haven't got really cold yet. The coldest I've ridden in so far this winter was -7deg C in the dry, I wore two pairs of socks and Sidi Mega Gore boots, yes it was cold but it wasn't painful cold.

Gloves I think are a different matter and if they're too tight they can actually restrict circulation which will of course make you even colder. I sometimes ride using silk liner gloves but there is a trade off point where I can no longer feel the heated grips because the liners + gloves are too thick.

I'll be honest and say I thought the benefits of GoreTex were a myth, you know "it's just a waterproof membrane and others: Sypmatex, Aquatex, Shelltex etc... are just as good" but they're not. I haven't found anything as windproof and effective as GoreTex and unless your boots, gloves, and clothing are GoreTex lined (IMHO) I believe you are going to feel cold.

Of course the reality is sometimes it is just very cold and you may need to stop for a few minutes to warm up (as I did in freezing fog on the M5 before Christmas half-way to work, because a finger and thumb were frozen beyond feeling) or slow down a bit and get there a bit later.

Also Colin's quite right on the layering of clothing, keeping your core temperature up will keep your extremities warmer for longer.

But there are lots of factors with the cold, it depends on your individual ability to fight cold, mentally and physically (and believe it or not women are better equipped than most men).

Eating well before going out in the cold is critical, not so much your body spends all it's energy digesting, but enough to keep you going for your journey.

Without offending anyone, circulation will be worse if you are a smoker.

Moisture in the air when it's cold is a killer, because once you have a layer of moisture on you (fog, rain, spray etc...) riding in the cold becomes like riding in a fridge. The cold air chills the moisture even further which just saps your heat, and you can't beat that effect you just have to get out of it and seek shelter.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sidi Vertigo Black Motorcycle Boot

For over fortyyears Sidi Sport has been inventing, designing and manufacturing the sports footwear of the future. The new "Sidi Vertigo" racing boot, developed by Sidi is a perfect blend of comfort and high performance for champions and for all motor bike fans. Sidi Vertigo has a range of innovative features making it a unique boot;the rear part can be adjusted to fit perfectly to the calf.

The leg portion - in polyurethane - is fitted with the Sidi TECNO VR closing system patented by Sidi, to provide adjustments via a nylon thread passing through to lateral holes. Twist the Sidi TECNO VR adjuster to wrap the boot symmetrically around the calf.

The lower outer beam of the Sidi Vertigo is fitted with an air intake which can be opened or closed according to needs, by a simple sliding vent.

For greater foot safety, the heel of the Sidi Vertigo model is fitted with a transparent shell in TPU with two anti-impact shock absorbers. The shell has 3 mm of impact movement.

On the outside, the Sidi Vertigo model is complete with an interchangeable nylon shin plate to protect the shin and with nylon toe slider, to prevent wear and tear.

The new rubber sole was created with slip-proof design.

Inside,the Sidi Vertigo provides maximum comfort: the breathable lining is treated with Teflon and fitted with air holes. The Fabric protection process prevents water or sweat from being absorbed. The boot dries quickly and does not collect mould.


The Sidi Vertigo is a perfect blend of comfort and high performance.
Sidi TECNO VR patented closing system.
Fitted air intake on lower boot.
Transparent polyurethane heel shell with two anti-impact shock absorbers with 3mm of movement.
Replaceable nylon shin plate and toe sliders.
New rubber sole non-slip design.
The Sidi Vertigo boot has a breathable interior lining treated with Teflon and perforated for maximum comfort.
Padded interior around ankle.
All removable parts are replaceable.


That is your problem, there are very good reasons why they do not run Moto GPs in the winter and cold feet is one of them. The Sidi Vertigo is a summer boot, you need army boots or good walking boots like my Raichle's. Avoid things with steel toe caps as they are designed to stop crushing injuries, in a high speed impact they are very good at cutting off toes.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMan:
I prefer the "look at that poof with muffs, oh look, he's wheelying past me, what does that make me?" Razz.

1930 Ariel wrote:

That is your problem, there are very good reasons why they do not run Moto GPs in the winter and cold feet is one of them. The Sidi Vertigo is a summer boot, you need army boots or good walking boots like my Raichle's. Avoid things with steel toe caps as they are designed to stop crushing injuries, in a high speed impact they are very good at cutting off toes.

Pah, those moto-gp boys are just a bit soft....
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/218127/images/rucksack-racing-grid.jpg
(New era holds a 'plum pudding' race day at Mallory on Boxing day - MZs pictured, but should see everything up to pukka power bikes that have seen time on the BSB grid.)

Also, on the steel-toe caps, couldn't find other details, but pretty sure that's not actually true (I used to think that was the case too.)
Best I came up with from a quick google was a mythbusters episode, details here... https://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html

Oh and I'm not a massive fan of goretex personally for serious winter use I'd go for something that actually IS water and windproof - ie sealskinz style products etc. (Though not suggesting the cheaper imitations are better 0- in my experience they do tend to be worse.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
Avoid things with steel toe caps as they are designed to stop crushing injuries, in a high speed impact they are very good at cutting off toes.


I found out the hard way, although my toes were not cut off, they did get some deep cuts.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DMan
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

"G"
In your case maybe, my scenario would be "Hey, look at that poof with muffs, he tried to pull a wheelie and stacked it" Very Happy
____________________
2001 Hornet 600 - "Faster than yellow" Blue; Current: 1998 Yammy FZS 600 "Fazer" Black
You show me how to control a wild fucking gypsy and I'll show you how to control an unhinged, pig-feeding gangster.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

I found out the hard way, although my toes were not cut off, they did get some deep cuts.

Interesting - are you sure they wouldn't have been worse without?
I couldn't find it, but I'm sure I've seen other stuff as well as the mythbusters link suggesting that if there's enough to cause damage, then you're probably going to be hurt worse with 'normal' boots (ie normal leather boots, as opposed to motorbike boots which tend to have reinforced toes etc anyway.)

DMan - learn to wheelie rather than get shark thingies then! More fun, too Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots were Ashmans and I had had them for about 6 years, the cuts to the toes were on the leg I broke, but there were marks on the other foot. I have always worn MX boots since, but have not crashed ( touch anything) to prove their worth............ yet.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

While motocross boots are seriously tough, I believe there can be some issues with them concentrating all the force applied to where they 'end' just below the knee, meaning that in some cases they can cause more damage than they save - but then the same can be said for anything, as a lot of it is luck in having the right thing on at the right time - though if there's enough force to decently brake something, there's generally little you can do about it anyway as it has to go somewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, if you read the Myth-busters article you will see that they subjected the boots to crushing forces that they are intended to resist and protect from.
the problem in a crash is either a direct toe on impact driving the toecap backwards into the foot bypassing the natural crumple zone of the toes or an impact under the foot bending the toes up resulting in the toecap being forced ito the foot.
Best not to crash at all Mr. Green
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took that situation to be covered by this:
Quote:

In order to test a worst case scenario, they made a shearing attachment, which was a thin metal plate that would hit the boot on edge.

They mounted the shearing attachment to the arbor press: at 750 lbs it broke every bone in the frangible foot; at 1400 lbs it severed all the bones in the feet.

They then mounted the shearing attachment on the guillotine and raised it to it's max height of 6ft and max weight of 400lbs. The blade glanced off the steel plate, shearing the entire shoe in half. They tested again and got the same result. In this particular scenario, were a heavy blade to drop on your foot you could actually lose more of your foot as the steel cap could direct the glade further up the foot as it did in the test. This isn't the failure mode described in the tests, though, and regardless of what type of boot you used there would be amputation.


Not quite the same, but fairly similar.

It was somewhere else I had first read about it - from some accident investigator or something, can't remember the details.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was the actual cap edge that caused the cuts, not something getting through them. The toe of the boot bent back on its self.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Mine was the actual cap edge that caused the cuts, not something getting through them. The toe of the boot bent back on its self.


Exactly my point.

G wrote:
They mounted the shearing attachment to the arbor press: at 750 lbs it broke every bone in the frangible foot; at 1400 lbs it severed all the bones in the feet.


Not exactly my scenario but sure as hell sounds like a boot full of detached piggies to me.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
They mounted the shearing attachment to the arbor press: at 750 lbs it broke every bone in the frangible foot; at 1400 lbs it severed all the bones in the feet.


Quote:
Not exactly my scenario but sure as hell sounds like a boot full of detached piggies to me.

But it only actually cut them off with twice the force that was needed to already break every bone in the foot - so you'd need to have significantly more force than to break every bone in your foot before your toes getting cut off becomes a cause for concern.
Like worrying that the rebar in the concrete wall you fly into at 150mph might gives you some lacerations Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: buuuuurrrr toooo cold Reply with quote

turnh wrote:
The problem is my feet....I wear Sidi Vertigo boots and my feet are so cold. I have tried thick socks with a liner under them and they are so cold and painful (I nearly cried but then I am a girl).


I saw an advert in one of the biking mags about heated insoles for boots...

Something like this https://www.motorbikestoday.com/features/Articles/heated_insoles.htm

Or this
https://www.tyresonline.net/shop_details.asp?productID=896&productName=Alpenheat_Trend_Heated_Boot_Innersoles

I went for a ride today and it was so cold that I bought a pair of thermal glove inners for the ride home from Bluewater. I feel your pain Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.73 Kb