Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere Reply with quote

Ok, it is a bit chilly out at the mo, now I have heated grips (and poor circulation in my hands it seems), I am also using some kangaroo leather gloves. For those that are not aware, Kangaroo is four times as strong as cow hide, so can be 1/4 thickness with same protection.

Anyway, I love the 'feel' of summer gloves, especially these kangaroo ones, I find winter gloves reduce the feel significantly. Clearly having stupidly cold hands in sub zero temperatures does that too!! Confused

Anyway, like I said, I have heated grips, so I have concluded the ideal glove to me would be a thin palmed glove, to allow feel and heat transfer from the grips, but thick and insulated upper half to keep the wind chill off and the heat in ... does such a thing exist?!?!!?
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere Reply with quote

I'd well recommend adding muffs to keep the warm air in - seems to make a big difference, even the quite loose oxford ones on the KTM.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'd well recommend adding muffs to keep the warm air in - seems to make a big difference, even the quite loose oxford ones on the KTM.


That is indeed another idea Thinking which ones do you recommend?? J&S do these

https://89.234.4.85/imagestream/3924/43978x800x600_FFFFFF_M.jpg
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere Reply with quote

Tucano Urbano for A to B road riding where you keep your hands on the bars.

The oxford ones, or similar which aren't as warm but make it a lot easier to replace your hands on the bars are better for off-roading.

Your link just goes to a generic page on J&S. I suspect the £30 oxford ones on there are the same as mine (the pic is wrong), £20 ones will probably do the job too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere Reply with quote

G wrote:
Tucano Urbano for A to B road riding where you keep your hands on the bars.

The oxford ones, or similar which aren't as warm but make it a lot easier to replace your hands on the bars are better for off-roading.

Your link just goes to a generic page on J&S. I suspect the £30 oxford ones on there are the same as mine (the pic is wrong), £20 ones will probably do the job too.


Its for the road bike, but I like the idea of easier hand in and outs - for when I want to scratch my nuts at the lights!! Very Happy


At £20 I'll give the Dr Bike ones a crack - unless someone tells me they are sh1te and to be avoided, then I'll go for the oxford ones!! Thumbs Up
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Dr Bike ones, although I have just stopped wearing my kangaroo skin gloves and started wearing my Autumn gloves. haven't used my winter gloves since I got the heated grips.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Thin palm gloves - but thick elsewhere Reply with quote

I found the combination of the Oxford ones with heated grips means that when I lost a wintery glove, I was ok through northern Europe with a motocross glover and silk inner glove on my right hand.
However, that was a minimum temperature of 6 degrees - the Tucano ones are more expensive (I think it was actually about £35 I got mine for new on ebay, but they're normally £50), but they are very good at keeping the cold air out and worth the extra money. It does take a bit of getting used to.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.31 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 53.78 Kb